Porridge... during the lockdown I rediscovered it and now eat it almost every day.

Soldato
Aldi's oh so yummy Kavanagh oats now at £1.79 per 1Kg, up from the £1.49 when I first started buying them a year or so ago.

Sign of the times I guess, though the lower priced, not quite as yummy oats I used to buy are still at 75p per Kg.

Man of Honour
Aldi's oh so yummy Kavanagh oats now at £1.79 per 1Kg, up from the £1.49 when I first started buying them a year or so ago.

Sign of the times I guess, though the lower priced, not quite as yummy oats I used to buy are still at 75p per Kg.

I just buy the Asda 75p for a kg oats. I add them to my morning and evening protein shakes. For the cost of all other foods, 75p seems like a steal for a kg of food.

Soldato
go online - make up a delivery with work colleagues ?
I pushed the boat out trying organic - but that's a year'ish supply, amazon wholeearth foods brand is now a rip-off.
Real Foods Jumbo Oat Flakeskg 3Kg £3.37 1
Real Foods Pinhead Oatmeal ORGANIC 6kg £9.60 1
Real Foods Medium Oatmeal 1kg £1.22 1

Soldato
Grabbed some oat and hemp milk the other day, never tried it, thought it was worth a go.

Absolutely lovely on its own, so tried it instead of normal milk in the porridge, delicious!

Oats on oats, can't go wrong. :)

Caporegime
OP
I just buy the Asda 75p for a kg oats. I add them to my morning and evening protein shakes. For the cost of all other foods, 75p seems like a steal for a kg of food.
Honestly, oats have to be one of the best value foods on the planet and I hope the Ukraine conflict doesn't significantly change that in terms of cost or supply. While I no longer eat porridge, my oats, milk and honey are an essential part of my day. :)

Soldato
Honestly, oats have to be one of the best value foods on the planet and I hope the Ukraine conflict doesn't significantly change that in terms of cost or supply. While I no longer eat porridge, my oats, milk and honey are an essential part of my day. :)

Porridge in the morning is my favourite meal of the day, really sets me up for hours.

How come you gave it up?

Caporegime
OP
Porridge in the morning is my favourite meal of the day, really sets me up for hours.

How come you gave it up?
Three things mainly:

1) It's more of an effort to make and eat vs a bowl of oats and milk and in the end I realized I don't enjoy it more (I really love oats, milk and honey).

2) A bowl of porridge needs far less oats and milk due to how much they expand when you cook them. This means that when I eat porridge I get significantly less calories and protein vs when I eat a bowl of just oats and milk.

3) It's much easier to add and mix supplemental powders to oats and milk than it is to add them to porridge which uses comparatively little milk.

Last edited:
Associate
I think food prices are going to rocket this year, its starting to go bonkers world over. Indonesia for example just stopped exporting palm oil, they are responsible for around 50% of the worldwide supply.

Soldato
Yes, need to invest in the oats and grains futures market.
-----
Adulterated porridge pretty sure that was banned when we were still in the EU, not cooking them does save electricity though, and the Quakers would probably approve.

Soldato

These have now gone up to £1.99 per Kg.

Seems expensive now compared to Asda Jumbo British porridge oats at £1.10 per Kg.

Anyone tried these?

Might have to give them a go.

Commissario
Back to porridge for breakfast for me.

35g oats - I use Scott's Old Fashioned because I like the texture of the slightly chunkier oats.
180ml semi skimmed milk
Three twists of salt
20g sultanas

Throw it all together, blitz in the dinger for two minutes, stir and then zap for another minute.

Back
Top Bottom