Porsche air con £200!

Associate
Hi all

My Porsche Cayman 2014 needs an air con top up as it’s low. It’s hissing. Porsche is currently servicing the car and say they are pretty sure there is no leak. They want to do an ‘Air con service’ for £200!

Surly a local garage can do this for half the price!?

Seems like a lot of money for a simple job!

I have extended warrenty. I can’t imagine having it topped up elsewhere can invalidate the warrenty if a leak is discovered!?

Thoughts welcome....

Associate
Depends on the gas it uses. For instance a quick look at Kwik-fit (I know I know, but their prices are readily available online) has a drain, check and refill service at £60 for R134a and £130 for R1234yf. With it being a 2014 car there's a possibility it uses the newer more expensive standard, depends how quick Porsche were at moving to the new stuff.

Soldato
interesting kwik-fit data, I'd wrongly assumed the newer gas would be cheaper, less environmental precautions, equipment more prevalent,

but they're not usually too uncompetitive, so, as commented £200 sounds reasonable,

if there is a possible warranty claim (why would it be hissing?), it maybe judicious to let porsche do it.

Soldato
interesting kwik-fit data, I'd wrongly assumed the newer gas would be cheaper, less environmental precautions, equipment more prevalent,

It's more environmentally friendly by design if it leaks to atmosphere but it's also more flammable which leads to more expensive regassing equipment AFAIK, along with the fact only a couple of companies actually produce the stuff. It supposedly leaks easier than R134a too.

Caporegime
Just had a leak diagnosed on my Focus, just called in at a local garage and he plugged it in and got no pressure.

Booked in on Friday to find the leak and regassing quoted between £60 - £100 depending on what is leaking and where it is.

So assuming the £200 Porsche want is to find, fix and regassing I'd say you are doing well, I suspect though the £200 is to tell you what my garage told me today for nothing....

Soldato
Booked in on Friday to find the leak and regassing quoted between £60 - £100 depending on what is leaking and where it is.

I think that is going to be more between £60 and £??? (Possibly even £????)

Until they know what is leaking and where it is, they can have no idea at all of the upper boundary at this stage!

Caporegime
I think that is going to be more between £60 and £??? (Possibly even £????)

Until they know what is leaking and where it is, they can have no idea at all of the upper boundary at this stage!

That's true, it could be anything from a simple gasket to knackered compressor so it's having a die test (so they can find leaks under a UV light) first to see where the leak is and I'm going to take it from there, already agreed with him if its ££££ then I'm simply going to live without A/C, the £60 -£100 figure is a best case scenario, knowing my luck it is bound to be something major. :/

Back
Top Bottom