Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
got a option on a GT2 RS, £410k + £20k commission with a huge spec (Weissach Package). I wonder if its a good buy with a bit of money to be made? I would just run it for a bit and flip it as its huge money for me

Last edited:
Soldato
You risk a big bath on that I think.

I hate to comment on things like this because 1) its way out of my level of play and 2) if it goes the other way I would feel guilty, but in this case having just been privy to a conversation about these cars from some people who very much are at that level, I would agree with you Housey.

Man of Honour
At the end of the day it's a fastest 911 so the city boys will want to play first and that's why they carry mad prices. When the city boys are done, people will recognise it's just a fast 911....and a faster 1 will arrive. The only people making big money are those buying at list and flipping.

Soldato
Yah, its above the level I would normally buy at, I'm a 100k car type of guy not half million. I know many are advertised at £500k+ but I don't know if they really sell for that. Its probably not worth the risk as I would only be buying to make a quick buck.

Man of Honour
Yah, its above the level I would normally buy at, I'm a 100k car type of guy not half million. I know many are advertised at £500k+ but I don't know if they really sell for that. Its probably not worth the risk as I would only be buying to make a quick buck.
It just takes one crazy rich guy to want it.....but if you're the crazy rich guy then what are the odds of finding another? Not a bet I would take....you'd have to be mad to buy a 500k GT2 RS instead of a CGT, or a GT3 RS and a 488, etc - and if you really really had that much cash you were probably able to get one at list price if you were so bothered.

I paid a pretty penny over list for my GT3 RS but then prices appear to have stabilised, and fingers crossed the next one will be a vegan hybrid electric turbo.

Hasn't yet worked with helping me get a 991.2 GT3 RS or 718 GT4 though :p

Soldato
There was some kind of big Porsche meet in Llandudno on Sunday any owners off here go? I just happened to be there for a few days and there was hundreds parked along the promenade on the front. Was quite busy.

Soldato
Back down to earth for a second from 500k shenanigans- What are Caymans like to run and what age is best to avoid any issues, I was thinking 09 onwards 3.4S.

Wouldn't be a daily.

Man of Honour
Cayman 981 would be my choice as it's the first one that didn't have the 'odd angle' that all previous Caymans and Boxsters had and it's also the last of the flat 6's so doesn't come with a barpy sounding 4 cylinder. Because of this they still carry stiff money so it depends on budgets but it looks the best, has the best interior of the 6 cylinder cars and goes really well. GT4 is king but the GTS comes 90% of the way and frankly none of them are anything but superb fun.

42346261632_6f9d768285_h.jpg

Associate
You’ll find the 987.2 aren’t much less for a good one. There aren’t too many for sale in comparison to the 981 which is the better car tbh. Basically looking for 2010-2011. There are some late 09 and early 12 but it’s a small window!

Soldato
I must be looking in the wrong place then because at a quick glance there's quite a few nice lowish mileage 987.2 3.4s PDKs substantially cheaper than a poverty spec 2.7 981.

Associate
well g/l. id still save and get the 981. your money.

When I was looking for one the lack of 987.2's and the big overlap in price to 981 put me off. The 987 doesnt look anything like as good as the 981 either, and thats before you get to the inside where its light years better.

whats your budget?

Associate
I ran a 987.1 Cayman S for just under 5 years. MPG was around 25 average. Great engine and gearbox, amazing handling. Servicing isn’t too expensive. It was a great car and I sold it because I had bought new house, got married and a baby on the way.

Issues I had during ownership:
-The big issue was an engine rebuild. I went porsche approved used. Over the first 3 months of ownership oil usage was high (1 litre per 200 miles) with the tell tale white smoke on cold start from a single exhaust side. Porsche did a rebuild with over half a new engines worth of components under warranty. The issue is widely spoken about on forums. I would have been more cautious when buying if it was a private sale. Insist on seeing a cold start and watch the exhaust. The quoted price I saw for the work was ~13k, but I’m sure this is the full price and wasn’t what porsche paid the dealership or what it would cost at an Indy. The Gen 2 engine was meant to be much better for not causing bore scoring and this issue.
-plastic gear linkage broke (lose 1-2, 5-6, reverse). Was recovered to a garage, but a cheap fix overall and know potential weakness
-There an intermittent cabin rattle from the back right of the car
-AC radiator leak following stone chip
-otherwise it was consumables - replaced both front springs (I blame pot holed roads around Buckinghamshire and Berkshire), pads/discs...etc
-The sat nav is ok. I found it better than the Gen 2 ford system I have now. You can ‘find’ online update discs to add more recent post codes and roads.
-it was my daily and only car during that time, so had to rent vans for any significant moving

It was a great car to drive and I do miss it now.

I had 987.2 and 981 hire cars. The 981 is a much larger jump in performance and interior. I would definitely aim for the 981 if you can, but life has a budget and I bought my 987.1 when the .2 was out!

Back
Top Bottom