Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
@Tom|Nbk - How are you finding it? Quite a difference between the 996 and you DB7! How come you ended up with a 996 C4?

@-Ad- - Whilst the turbo is an incredibly capable car which will continue to be a halo car in the 911 range (and I love it and wish I could have afforded one), I would argue that they also have the potential for frightening bills. The careful purchase of a 996/7 cooking model shouldn’t be overlooked as they are a relative performance bargain. Refurbishing/ rebuilding both turbos on a 911TT isn’t far off the price of an engine rebuild of the M96/7. What I’m trying to say is buy a turbo because you really want a turbo and nothing else will do... depressingly a remapped golf R is likely to beat the 996 turbo from the lights, so absolute performance I would argue is not a good reason to buy one.

Soldato
@Tom|Nbk - How are you finding it? Quite a difference between the 996 and you DB7! How come you ended up with a 996 C4?

@-Ad- - Whilst the turbo is an incredibly capable car which will continue to be a halo car in the 911 range (and I love it and wish I could have afforded one), I would argue that they also have the potential for frightening bills. The careful purchase of a 996/7 cooking model shouldn’t be overlooked as they are a relative performance bargain. Refurbishing/ rebuilding both turbos on a 911TT isn’t far off the price of an engine rebuild of the M96/7. What I’m trying to say is buy a turbo because you really want a turbo and nothing else will do... depressingly a remapped golf R is likely to beat the 996 turbo from the lights, so absolute performance I would argue is not a good reason to buy one.

I still have the DB9 :D great car great to use when the Aston is tucked away

Soldato

A pair of new Turbos would only rival an M96 rebuild if you bought Porsche ones directly from an OPC and had them do the labour :p

I have seen people rebuild their own or a company like AET can refurbish a K16 for £600-1000 each. Throw in a pair of new actuator's for £350 and fitting yourself with new studs, it'll be 2.5k ish. A far cry from a full Hartech rebuild of £10k+ with machining, new liners etc.

The less said about the white goods Golf R the better :D

We've done some comparisons and read up about a 996 option and the cheaper car would have to be the C4S. It looks soo right with the light bar across the back, has 4WD for all year use up here. But it's still £20k and the potential for a rebuild means budgeting £10k+ in case. Although on the rebuild side, for a little more the Hartech 3.9 does seem like all the engine you'd ever need. But it would still be a £20k car even after a rebuild, whereas a Turbo would always be a £30k+ car.

The bills can seem frightening if you need an engine drop to fix coolant/vacuum lines, but I think it would be worth it considering the performance, especially when an exhaust and fettle/map from Fearnsport or 9e would out it nearer 500hp even on K16 turbos.

I think for us it would be an everyday supercar that gets used, especially as these things don't like to be left dormant with only a few summer miles put on them. It wouldn't be the same fun drive of our later 986 3.2S, but it'll do everything thrown at it, even snow with the right tyres.

We have the 944 S2 Cab for top down fun drives, my DC2 for ballistic driving and would probably sell the 986 to put funds towards the 996 Turbo. Then we have a new SUV beast for long drives and load lugging which arrived last night (old thing with a perfect engine ;)).

Trying to plan the perfect 4 car family is still tough!

Commissario
Looks like my nearest OPC (Hatfield) don't offer fixed priced servicing anymore, contacted them for a quote for 80k service - come back at £940 (inc VAT) :(

Associate
Looks like my nearest OPC (Hatfield) don't offer fixed priced servicing anymore, contacted them for a quote for 80k service - come back at £940 (inc VAT) :(

I paid something similar to this at my OPC for the 40k service. I thought that was fixed price? (Fixed price = Fixed to be expensive everywhere)

Commissario
I paid something similar to this at my OPC for the 40k service. I thought that was fixed price? (Fixed price = Fixed to be expensive everywhere)
Had a few quotes this morning from 4 OPCs now, 3 out of 4 have suggested spark plugs too - that's now ranging from £1053 to £1302!

Commissario
Why selling so soon?! If you are then I’d definitely suck up the main dealer service this time. Is it warrantied?
Thinking of cutting down to one car, will get rid of the Up as well and then get something bigger - I know I shouldn't, but I keep looking at the Macan :/

Not warrantied, no.

Soldato
The Macan is brilliant if you’re after a mid sized SUV, so don’t be worried about that!

If you’re selling the 911, would you part ex it at a Porsche dealer? I imagine there’s quite a market privately for a GTS though.

Back
Top Bottom