Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Man of Honour
[RXP]Andy;27876002 said:
What is on the shopping list then? :D

If I can get a 997 GT3 Gen 2 that doesn't pull my pants down I think one of those, finally, but finding one is the real problem. If not and I can get a GT4 then I shall take it, but that is looking unlikely. If I can get neither sensibly, then I am thinking 991 C2S or even 997 Turbo S. I have the option on a C4S 997 Gen 2 at the very right money, from my father, so might take that as a sensible route and short term change. Not my 911 preference but a fantastic incredibly well looked after car for (relatively) pennies. I was also considering a 360CS and Gallardo SL but frankly they are more than I can afford in the current mental market.

The ONLY concern is the cars I am looking at (bar C4S/GT4) are due to take a bath price wise, I just feel it in my water. I could go and spend say 90K on a GT3 and find out next year it's work 55K. Now that is unlikely to that extent, but there were 997 Gen 1 GT3's in the low 50's 6 months back, today they are all 85K.

OcUK Staff
OP
If I can get a 997 GT3 Gen 2 that doesn't pull my pants down I think one of those, finally, but finding one is the real problem. If not and I can get a GT4 then I shall take it, but that is looking unlikely. If I can get neither sensibly, then I am thinking 991 C2S or even 997 Turbo S. I have the option on a C4S 997 Gen 2 at the very right money, from my father, so might take that as a sensible route and short term change. Not my 911 preference but a fantastic incredibly well looked after car for (relatively) pennies. I was also considering a 360CS and Gallardo SL but frankly they are more than I can afford in the current mental market.

The ONLY concern is the cars I am looking at (bar C4S/GT4) are due to take a bath price wise, I just feel it in my water. I could go and spend say 90K on a GT3 and find out next year it's work 55K. Now that is unlikely to that extent, but there were 997 Gen 1 GT3's in the low 50's 6 months back, today they are all 85K.

Remember that stunning grey GT3 997.1 I very nearly purchased, had ceramics, yellow seatbelts and was about 50,000 miles and was about 47k, OH WHY DID I NOT BUY IT. Like you say be worth closer to 70k now. :eek:

Still I've had a glorious drive out today, the 997.1 flat 6 with PSE and highflow cats sounds absolutely glorious, far far nicer noise than the newer cars.

Soldato
Housey, what's your opinion on the 996 C4S? I am considering buying one. I know the C2 is possibly that little bit sharper, but the wide body of the C4S is the only 996 shape I can get on with (and the Turbo).

OcUK Staff
OP
Housey, what's your opinion on the 996 C4S? I am considering buying one. I know the C2 is possibly that little bit sharper, but the wide body of the C4S is the only 996 shape I can get on with (and the Turbo).

C4S was probably the best looking 996 along with the Turbo, still horrid front-ends though but C4S I'd say is a good bet with a 996. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Well I've pretty much cleaned everything on the car, exterior re-waxed in project32 to top up what Autobrite did. All interior cleaned, engine bay cleaned, wheel wells all cleaned. Car is absolutely gleaming and it makes one smile when people say nice new car mate, its not new its 10 years old. :D

She looks better today than when I picked her up four years ago. :)

Just a few pictures:

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_24791.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

When I think about selling the car, I start getting crazy thoughts of just keeping it along side the Mustang and M3 or cancel the Mustang and just go completely bonkers and supercharge the 911. Had a few hours drive today, I don't think any car will ever surpass the driving enjoyment of a 911 except for another Porsche or something out of the prancing horse stable. Such a sorted car and its how they come out the box. :)

Man of Honour

I know a few people who had them and to a man and woman they all rated them highly. Look good and go well so if you find a nice one I'd buy with confidence, though get Porsche or respect engineer to look over it would be my advice with any 911 purchase.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Gibbo, have you added the 997.2 rear light clusters? As I thought your car was a 997.1 car. That's the only thing I think that makes the 997 look a little old was the rear light clusters.

OcUK Staff
OP
[RXP]Andy;27876670 said:
Gibbo, have you added the 997.2 rear light clusters? As I thought your car was a 997.1 car. That's the only thing I think that makes the 997 look a little old was the rear light clusters.

Yes. Dectanes as OEM would need a new bumper, but they are superb, they look OE and completely transformed the rear of the car. :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Yes. Dectanes as OEM would need a new bumper, but they are superb, they look OE and completely transformed the rear of the car. :)

Ahh I see, I thought they where OEM from a quick glance. I agree, it much improves the rear end. :p

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Very few cars can pull of yellow but the 997 does it well.

Out of curiosity, is the rear wing standard/part of a spec pack? Briefly toyed with the idea of a 997 before buying the M3 and thought they looked so much more balanced with a rear wing, but very few seemed to have it.

Man of Honour

Out of curiosity, is the rear wing standard/part of a spec pack? Briefly toyed with the idea of a 997 before buying the M3 and thought they looked so much more balanced with a rear wing, but very few seemed to have it.

Porsche Aerokit part, so optional extra but from the factory.

OcUK Staff
OP

Porsche O.E. aerokit option when ordering new. Very few Carreras have the option and those that do have increased in value substancially, especially if the car itself is a good specification and in good condition.

Will be selling mine soon, be interesting to see what I get for it, no idea what to advertise it at, was thinking around 30k. :)

Soldato
Not having a good day. Few personal items gone wrong and then....

Snapped a front spring on the pork. 2x new springs, dampers and 4x new tyres alongside the service and MOT. Ouch.

OcUK Staff
OP
Not having a good day. Few personal items gone wrong and then....

Snapped a front spring on the pork. 2x new springs, dampers and 4x new tyres alongside the service and MOT. Ouch.

I was fortunate when one of my rear springs snapped, was still under warranty so they changed the pair on the rear.

Shall be putting on a pair of new front tyres soon, current ones are down to 3-4mm and cracked so gonna make sure its got fresh MPSS all round before I sell it. :)

Soldato
Yep, loads of tread on the fronts, but cracking around outer edge. Doesn't inspire confidence. Rears are almost to wear indicators.

Bridgestone Potenzas on at the mo, asked him to chuck MPS n2's on.

Do you use OPCs for servicing Gibbo, or indies?

OcUK Staff
OP
Yep, loads of tread on the fronts, but cracking around outer edge. Doesn't inspire confidence. Rears are almost to wear indicators.

Bridgestone Potenzas on at the mo, asked him to chuck MPS n2's on.

Do you use OPCs for servicing Gibbo, or indies?

OPC for the official service intervals to keep the book stamped and on top of that I use local indy for anything other than service work where the OPC price is stupid.

I see your in Cheshire, so look up Sports and Classic, ask for Mike and tell him I sent you, absolutely top guy and he knows these cars better than any OPC, he can rebuild you an engine, gear box or diff or fix a fried ECU, that is how good the guy is and he has employed OPC master techs.

I also change the oil on my car every 6000 miles as well, do that myself, very easy. :)

Also do not fit Michelin PS2 N2 to your 911, just buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tyreleader or Openeo, far cheaper, last twice as long and offer more grip in all conditions. As your not using Porsche warranty why fit N Spec tyres?

Soldato
OPC for the official service intervals to keep the book stamped and on top of that I use local indy for anything other than service work where the OPC price is stupid.

I see your in Cheshire, so look up Sports and Classic, ask for Mike and tell him I sent you, absolutely top guy and he knows these cars better than any OPC, he can rebuild you an engine, gear box or diff or fix a fried ECU, that is how good the guy is and he has employed OPC master techs.

I also change the oil on my car every 6000 miles as well, do that myself, very easy. :)

Also do not fit Michelin PS2 N2 to your 911, just buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tyreleader or Openeo, far cheaper, last twice as long and offer more grip in all conditions. As your not using Porsche warranty why fit N Spec tyres?

It's with Mike already ;). I'm in Macc, so didn't fancy driving on a broken spring further than I had to this morning...

Back
Top Bottom