Portable battery powered air compressor?

i will be buying one of these

i have the wired version, and they pump my car tyres up very quickly

love the idea of cordless due to wire scrapping the cars bodywork and disconnecting and reconnecting lead etc

i really do like "ring automotive" stuff, good quality

The ones like in the OP are hit and miss - the better ones are good to have if you need to emergency inflate a single tyre or top off all the tyres but will struggle with fully inflating several tyres. Some of them will die very quickly and/or struggle with anything more than smaller tyres.

I've got a MOSIQTIVE branded one which unfortunately has disappeared which was useful as it was surprisingly precise at inflating to a given pressure.

I use a Makita DMP180Z 18v but already have loads of 18v Makita batteries. Its very good and the body only was about £45 when I purchased it.
Fortuitous thread timing, as my foot pump broke the other day. My other power tools are Makita so I also have a couple of batteries and just found this on eBay for £35 quid.

I use a Makita DMP180Z 18v but already have loads of 18v Makita batteries. Its very good and the body only was about £45 when I purchased it.
I don't have a Makita but a Bosch Drill, I can't see they make a pump using their battery though. They do make a stand unit for £50. USB-C charging. Tempting.

Wait - they do....Hmmmm. But i am not sure this one does auto stop.

Last edited:
i got thr ryobi unit when they gave you a free unit last year spend 99 and get battery /drill/charger and free tool of choice must say it has been perfect nor big and does the job.

Ryobi R18PI-0 18V ONE+ Cordless High Pressure Inflator (Body Only), Grey​

Portable and battery powered? Impressive!

It is technically portable. Although driving around with 90 litres of compressed air wouldn't be nice. :p

My point is no one pumps up their tyres away from home unless you got a flat which is when you stick the spare wheel on.

The portable ones are also inherently inaccurate with their readings compared to a compressor.

I do however have no less than 3 "portable" tyre inflators. A ring which doesn't work right now so is purely for inflatables. It is also the second one I have had which broke. I do a lot of track days so it got a lot of use so I would avoid, the missus car has an AA5007 which is good because it is small and can fit in a glove box or tyre well. Billy basic with a analogue gauge all you really need and costs £10 ish pounds. Then I have a Sakura SS5332 which I use on track days. Around 30 notes and digital with auto cut off like the ring but has a much smaller form factor than the ring but equally as powerful. Had plenty of abuse and still works. Even still I will check and adjust with a digital tyre pressure gauge.

Last edited:
It is technically portable. Although driving around with 90 litres of compressed air wouldn't be nice. :p

My point is no one pumps up their tyres away from home unless you got a flat which is when you stick the spare wheel on.

The portable ones are also inherently inaccurate with their readings compared to a compressor.

I do however have no less than 3 "portable" tyre inflators. A ring which doesn't work right now so is purely for inflatables. It is also the second one I have had which broke. I do a lot of track days so it got a lot of use so I would avoid, the missus car has an AA5007 which is good because it is small and can fit in a glove box or tyre well. Billy basic with a analogue gauge all you really need and costs £10 ish pounds. Then I have a Sakura SS5332 which I use on track days. Around 30 notes and digital with auto cut off like the ring but has a much smaller form factor than the ring but equally as powerful. Had plenty of abuse and still works. Even still I will check and adjust with a digital tyre pressure gauge.

That’s a few assumptions right there.

Let’s say you got a flat and changed the tyre…you still would want to pump that up right? Or do you check the pressure of the spare in the boot regularly too?

Without testing every portable compressor on the market, you can’t categorically say they are all inaccurate. You can assume they are, but assume is all you can do.

And using the ABAC PRO A39B 90 CM3 as a comparison, that isn't fair or even remotely what I was looking for or anyone (who doesn't do a lot of track days) would get. It's like someone looking to get a compact camera and I suggest them to buy a Canon R5. It's not relevant or helpful or remotely useful as an answer.

Last edited:
That’s a few assumptions right there.

Let’s say you got a flat and changed the tyre…you still would want to pump that up right? Or do you check the pressure of the spare in the boot regularly too?

Without testing every portable compressor on the market, you can’t categorically say they are all inaccurate. You can assume they are, but assume is all you can do.

And using the ABAC PRO A39B 90 CM3 as a comparison, that isn't fair or even remotely what I was looking for or anyone (who doesn't do a lot of track days) would get. It's like someone looking to get a compact camera and I suggest them to buy a Canon R5. It's not relevant or helpful or remotely useful as an answer.

I always check the pressure of my spare when checking tyre pressures as like you mentioned I got caught out once and needed to change out to the spare that was also flat and I didn't have a tyre inflator with me either but you live and learn. I honestly wouldn't waste £40 on a battery powered one when a £12 AA one will do the job just as good with a reassurance it will actually work when you need it.

The using an air compressor to do tyres was more tongue and cheek but as I invested in one it is the most accurate with the right attachment and does them in seconds.

Last edited:
Whilst I'd like a proper compressor, I don't really have to space to justify one just for pumping up tyres. And as the car is parked outside on the road, I'd have to drag it out to the path and get an extension lead for it. Also handy when my girlfriend drags me to her the stables to give the horsebox she uses once in a blue moon a check over. So I thought a portable one that runs off batteries I already have would be a good replacement for a footpump. As for accuracy, I have a separate pressure gauge, so I always tend to overinflate a few PSI, then use that to let the tyre down until it shows the correct pressure, just in case.

Unfortunately, the Makita one that was mentioned earlier, that I then found on ebay, turned out to be a misleading advert, and they sent me a cheap Chinese copy. They refunded me no quibble, but I'm still pump-less atm :D

Last edited:
Whilst I'd like a proper compressor, I don't really have to space to justify one just for pumping up tyres. And as the car is parked outside on the road, I'd have to drag it out to the path and get an extension lead for it. Also handy when my girlfriend drags me to her the stables to give the horsebox she uses once in a blue moon a check over. So I thought a portable one that runs off batteries I already have would be a good replacement for a footpump. As for accuracy, I have a separate pressure gauge, so I always tend to overinflate a few PSI, then use that to let the tyre down until it shows the correct pressure, just in case.

Unfortunately, the Makita one that was mentioned earlier, that I then found on ebay, turned out to be a misleading advert, and they sent me a cheap Chinese copy. They refunded me no quibble, but I'm still pump-less atm :D

That's what I do overinflate then use a tyre pressure gauge to fine tune. That's why a cheap AA £12 is more then adequate and spend the change on a decent tyre pressure gauge.

Back
Top Bottom