Positive Input Ventilation opinions please?

Soldato
have a read through earlier thread, too

We have some condensation issues on windows etc that I wanted to remedy, the Drimaster looked good from another thread I saw it on here, however when looking into it further, the filters used are only G3 rated, which means all those lovely loft insulation particulates that can cause you all manner of lung cancers will pass right through and be circulated around your house. I don't want my children breathing this over the next few decades really, I know what damage it causes. This put me off entirely from purchasing it, so back to square one, guessing dehumidifier of some description.

that had seemed a bit of a b-mol if you you have a pile of fibre glass insulation, plus, some airflow crossing that via the eaves

Soldato
OP
have a read through earlier thread, too
that had seemed a bit of a b-mol if you you have a pile of fibre glass insulation, plus, some airflow crossing that via the eaves

Thank you, not even something that I would ever think of, do you have a link to that thread?

Possibly worth upgrading to the better filters available with the Nuaire and the Vent Axia if they'd filter those elements?

Associate
the reason that we've had the DPC installed is to buy the house

exactly what happened with my parents house.
I think on its own it’s not harmful, it’s just when you try and fix a damp problem with it it goes wrong. I’ve got an injection DPC courtesy of the previous owner!

Associate
Just to add I had condensation and damp in corners in my house (~1880) when I moved in.
It was all solved with draught proofing, double glazing, tons of breathable insulation and extraction in bathrooms and kitchen. Not always necessary for PIV

Soldato
OP
I think I'm going to go with the Vent Axia PureAir Home and the upgraded F7 filters, which comes in at around £320.
The Nuaire Drimaster-Eco NOX, with ePM10 filters, is more like £500.

Unless anyone thinks that the better filters are worth an extra £180, or the Nuaire is significantly better than the Vent Axia?

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Soldato
I live in a older house that's been well sealed up against the cold, and had issues with damp last winter. For this winter, I've got a relatively powerful dehumidifier that I've put into the central hallway. It comes on for a couple of hours in the morning (post showers) and at night (again, post showers) and it's made a world of difference.

It's controllable via Alexa as well, so if I can see any condensation I can just tell alexa to turn it on for a bit.

Soldato
Dehumidifier has sold our damp and wet window issues. Only problem is it takes up space and is quite noisy.

We do dry clothes on maidens though which was the main cause of the issue.

Soldato
Got one doesn't seem to keep it at bay anymore and does cost a fair bit to run.

What kind? We had an Ebac one in our old house and it helped but didn't solve the issue but that house was really really bad with condensation due to the walls being filled and sealed

The one we have now has been amazing and has a humidistat so only comes on when we need it, we don't have it on at night anymore it seems to have drawn the humidity right down to the point where it only seems to go up when drying clothes. For the first week it was on constantly but now it just runs when it needs to

Not had the first bill yet though, I am kind of dreading it if I'm honest!

Soldato
Just removed mine last week after getting air con installed but it's been great for the past 2 years if you have damp issues it really does solve the problem relatively simply and cheaply.

Associate
Just bought the Drimaster eco hc which is linked above, thought about these a couple of years ago but ended up moving house. Awful condensation on the windows in winter (probably need changed). House was built in 1996 so will be nice to see what effect it has!

would love to know how this works for you my house was also built in 96 and we get very bad condensation in the mornings again probably partially need the windows replacing but if this can help for a 10th of the cost of new windows I may make the case to the wife.

Soldato
Are you not at risk of pushing damp into cracks leading to mould? I would have thought negatively pressured ventilation would be better to avoid this issue. Could be wrong of course

Don't believe so, this enables air circulation so the water in the air never gets a chance to settle in one place.

Associate
would love to know how this works for you my house was also built in 96 and we get very bad condensation in the mornings again probably partially need the windows replacing but if this can help for a 10th of the cost of new windows I may make the case to the wife.

It did reduce condensation but not completely, maybe I should turn it up a tad, the landing is colder but I do believe its dry air so heats up quicker. I also installed it for other benefits as the wife does not open any windows at all and closes all vents because of "spiders". In the end new windows will be needed anyway, more for sound and draft insulation but was easy to install worth it for me.

Soldato
It did reduce condensation but not completely, maybe I should turn it up a tad, the landing is colder but I do believe its dry air so heats up quicker. I also installed it for other benefits as the wife does not open any windows at all and closes all vents because of "spiders". In the end new windows will be needed anyway, more for sound and draft insulation but was easy to install worth it for me.
If all vents and windows are shut, where is the air going to? Into the loft I expect. You're not going to remove any moisture if the air has nowhere to go.

Back
Top Bottom