Possible RAM issues

Soldato
Since I built my current set up (See Signature) I have had sporadic blue screens with the usual unintelligible error message but have always suspected the RAM, which is Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit. I have the same kit and chip in my secondary PC and have not had any issues.

The blue screens can happen at any time and not occur for days or I might get 2 in an hour, PC restarts and I will not have any more issues until the next time.

Now I do not how to prove that the RAM maybe faulty as to be quite honest maybe it isn't so I thought I might upgrade to 23GB but am looking for suggestions on which to go with the Ryzen 2600 chip?

But I am open to any suggestions on how to resolve this issue.

Associate
You need to take note of the error at the time the bsod occurs, that is key to determining where the fault is and where to start diagnosing.

Soldato
OP
Last few error messages.
I had two of these on the 7th and 29th of September PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
This on 29th September ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
I also had two with no error messages on 4th and the 28th September.

Soldato
Last few error messages.
I had two of these on the 7th and 29th of September PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
This on 29th September ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
I also had two with no error messages on 4th and the 28th September.

are the motherboards different in both your PCs?

Soldato
Nope same board, Gigabyte B450 AORUS M.

usually if i see that it’s a lack of voltage, did you do a usb boot of memtestx86 and run a loop ? you only need 15 mins for a quick test.

personally, if it’s failing memtest at stock with the correct voltage readings (check in bios) i usually reduce the clock speed on the ram until i find a stable clock and then go from there.

try Cas19-19-19 also.

if it keeps failing, switch to single stick if you can and then disable cpu cores down to two. then start to raise the voltages.

check your bios and firmware is the same on both boards and you are using the correct
slots.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
usually if i see that it’s a lack of voltage, did you do a usb boot of memtestx86 and run a loop ? you only need 15 mins for a quick test.

personally, if it’s failing memtest at stock with the correct voltage readings (check in bios) i usually reduce the clock speed on the ram until i find a stable clock and then go from there.

try Cas19-19-19 also.

if it keeps failing, switch to single stick if you can and then disable cpu cores down to two. then start to raise the voltages.

check your bios and firmware is the same on both boards and you are using the correct
slots.
As of yet I have not run Memtest will do so tonight.
Looking at both BIOS the numbers are exactly the same.

What makes this issue annoying is it is so intermittent as I can go days without a BSOD or get two in one day.

Soldato
it just could be a faulty address range on the ram which means that an error would only be triggered if that address range is attempted.

that’s how people run windows for months at a time without a problem, it’s because the range may not be hit at all in general usage but it will show a fault in memtest as it will go through the entire memory range at random.

Permabanned
It could be the memory controller on the cpu now likening the speeds your running at.

But like I said you need to run memtest. Run it at xmp and spd settings.

Remover and cpu overclock you have when running the test

Soldato
OP
It could be the memory controller on the cpu now likening the speeds your running at.

But like I said you need to run memtest. Run it at xmp and spd settings.

Remover and cpu overclock you have when running the test
Same CPU and RAM and board on secondary PC without issues.
And I do not overclock.

What do you mean by "Run it at XMP and SPD settings", first time I have used Memtest so could do with some help. Cheers.

Permabanned
Same CPU and RAM and board on secondary PC without issues.
And I do not overclock.

What do you mean by "Run it at XMP and SPD settings", first time I have used Memtest so could do with some help. Cheers.

The spd speed is the stock speed the ram will come at about 2400mhz.. this is the speed you will get 100% stable unless you have ram problems.

At xmp your overclocking the ram. The vendor will tast and say the ram is stable at 3000mhz..

If the system is unstable at spd speeds you may have a problem. If the only thing you have changed is the motherboard then your problem may/(is) down to that.
The problem is no 2 parts work the same when it come to PC's the new board could have power delivery problems, or just an endless list of problems that would still pass QC testing.

Soldato
OP
Sorry I am a tad puzzled, both PC's were new builds all parts bought around about the same time from OCUK one is gaming whilst the other is general so not sure what you mean by change mobo.. The current signature is the one with issues.

To be honest it is not a major issue given its in frequency but I would like to resolve it if possible.

Permabanned
Started to run Memtest now and I note that it shows the timings as 16-18-18-38 yet BIOS shows 16-16-16-39 anyone care to explain?

What speed is it showing.

There is a lot of people have problem with memory not running at the speed it's set up on both amd&Intel.

I have a friend with 6700k on a Asus z170 and when you set 2666mhz in windows all programs show 2133mhz

Soldato
OP
What speed is it showing.

There is a lot of people have problem with memory not running at the speed it's set up on both amd&Intel.

I have a friend with 6700k on a Asus z170 and when you set 2666mhz in windows all programs show 2133mhz
2998 which is zilch if it should be running at 3000.

Anyhoo test complete and no errors so will need to look elsewhere for a solution.

Back
Top Bottom