Post keyboard advice

Associate
Edit: Title should read 'Posh keyboard advice'

After a new keyboard, been using this relic Logitech Y-SAE71 for probably over 10 years started playing games again and convinced I need something better, but £120 for a keyboard! think I paid 7quid for this.

Looking at the cheaper mech keyboards but none have media keys, I want keys like on the k70 and its confusing myraid of versions.

Noticed some of the cheaper ones like the £70quid Stafe have atleast volume on the F keys, does one need to also press the function key to use these or can they be left on at all times and is it possible to map start/pause and next/previous track onto these keys.

Any cheaper but decent alternatives to these ludicrious corsair keyboards with proper switches something similar to red? must be full lenght.

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Any cheaper but decent alternatives to these ludicrious corsair keyboards with proper switches something similar to red? must be full lenght.
Have you actually tested different "mechanical" switches?
MX Red is very different from membrane/rubber dome switches.

Which have highish initial force/resistance you need to overcome, before key starts going down and press is registered only at bottoming moment.
That makes it easy to avoid accidental key presses from resting fingers on keys.

Mechanical switches again tend have highest force/resistance before bottoming and more or less lot lighter force in initial travel.
And instead of during bottoming, they register key press half way down.
MX Red specifically is very light linear switch, with only light force/resistance in initial travel.
So if you're used to resting fingers on keys you could easily press it to actuation point by accident.

Non-linear switch would be lot safer starting switch, by having some more notable resistance in early travel.
But without becoming more stressing to keep pressed in gaming, unlike stronger linear switches.
(some crouching/running key is usually pressed with the weakest finger, pinky)

You might well hit major problems with accidental presses with MX Red:
I bought a Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire to replace my G15. I didnt get on with the Corsair as the keys were to sensitive and caused me to press keys in error.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/what-to-replace-a-logitech-g15-with.18821387/
Or here after MS Sidewinder X4.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/membrane-to-mechanical-keyboard.18833132/

Associate
OP
Have you actually tested different "mechanical" switches?
MX Red is very different from membrane/rubber dome switches.

Which have highish initial force/resistance you need to overcome, before key starts going down and press is registered only at bottoming moment.
That makes it easy to avoid accidental key presses from resting fingers on keys.

Mechanical switches again tend have highest force/resistance before bottoming and more or less lot lighter force in initial travel.
And instead of during bottoming, they register key press half way down.
MX Red specifically is very light linear switch, with only light force/resistance in initial travel.
So if you're used to resting fingers on keys you could easily press it to actuation point by accident.

Non-linear switch would be lot safer starting switch, by having some more notable resistance in early travel.
But without becoming more stressing to keep pressed in gaming, unlike stronger linear switches.
(some crouching/running key is usually pressed with the weakest finger, pinky)

You might well hit major problems with accidental presses with MX Red:

Or here after MS Sidewinder X4.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/membrane-to-mechanical-keyboard.18833132/

Never used one to be honest, I'm a reasonable fps player and just thinking its the next move to make and I don't want any of the super clicky ones like blue as will annoy. Though I must admit I do mash other keys a bit when venturing outside of the 'aswd' zone i'm not the cleanest keyboard user.

Associate
I would recommend a Corsair strafe with MX Browns. ** No competitor price hinting ** Solid keyboard and key switches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
I would recommend a Corsair strafe with MX Browns. *** . Solid keyboard and key switches.

I do like that strafe, orginially I thought brown was the switch for me when looking at them a long time ago but recently started browsing again and maybe thinking i'm better than I am convinced myself red is what I need. But realistically brown might suit, I do trip over other keys when reaching and on my current keyboard they don't get activated but guessing they will with reds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I do like that strafe, originally I thought brown was the switch for me when looking at them a long time ago but recently started browsing again and maybe thinking i'm better than I am convinced myself red is what I need. But realistically brown might suit, I do trip over other keys when reaching and on my current keyboard they don't get activated but guessing they will with reds.
Yes. reds take a bit of getting used too. Browns are a good middle ground. Its the normally the switch people go for on their first mech keyboards.

Associate
OP
Yes. reds take a bit of getting used too. Browns are a good middle ground. Its the normally the switch people go for on their first mech keyboards.

Ok took my blinkers off for reds off and started reading brown v red, found a lot of users who bought reds saying if they bought again would buy brown, 'reds are mushy' comes up often and I like the click of my keyboard but didn't want it too sound like typewriter. Think gonna pump for browns now on reflection. Thanks

Associate
Ok took my blinkers off for reds off and started reading brown v red, found a lot of users who bought reds saying if they bought again would buy brown, 'reds are mushy' comes up often and I like the click of my keyboard but didn't want it too sound like typewriter. Think gonna pump for browns now on reflection. Thanks
No problem :D

Associate
ugly and loud are my first thoughts tbh, plus function key cannot be toggled, you have to hold it down to use media keys! so trying to use the ludicrious software to remap keys.
when switching to mechanical all switches will sound loud. They are generally louder. try not to bottom the key out, It registers half way. you will feel the tactile when it registers. this will make the sound quieter as bottoming out is loud compared to just letting the key register. The FN key is like that on most keyboards that dont have dedicated media keys. I feel after a short amount of time you will adjust and get used to the keyboard. (if you think browns are loud never get blues or greens haha.) Good luck

Associate
OP
when switching to mechanical all switches will sound loud. They are generally louder. try not to bottom the key out, It registers half way. you will feel the tactile when it registers. this will make the sound quieter as bottoming out is loud compared to just letting the key register. The FN key is like that on most keyboards that dont have dedicated media keys. I feel after a short amount of time you will adjust and get used to the keyboard. (if you think browns are loud never get blues or greens haha.) Good luck

Haha yea I just found out that basically they all that loud when you bottom out, thing is I don't think I can change my style, ive been slapping the keys down hard forever. Dunno the whole thing seems like a big toy to me, not keen at all the software is ludicrious in size for a keybaord app and laggy to use which suggets its not something I want running in background, I know its a good keyboard but not feeling it. I think its because I spent highend bucks on it and the function key not being able to toggle is just really dumb to me coming form media keyboard even if thats the standard.

Its no problem though I like to try out new stuff

Associate
Haha yea I just found out that basically they all that loud when you bottom out, thing is I don't think I can change my style, ive been slapping the keys down hard forever. Dunno the whole thing seems like a big toy to me, not keen at all the software is ludicrious in size for a keybaord app and laggy to use which suggets its not something I want running in background, I know its a good keyboard but not feeling it. I think its because I spent highend bucks on it and the function key not being able to toggle is just really dumb to me coming form media keyboard even if thats the standard.

Its no problem though I like to try out new stuff
I always bottom out aswell. I have 2 keyboards. One with blue switches and one with brown. If the noise is bothering you i would recommend going to the OCUK shop and buying some o rings. You place them under the keycap and it makes the noise a hell of a lot quieter.

Soldato
Haha yea I just found out that basically they all that loud when you bottom out, thing is I don't think I can change my style, ive been slapping the keys down hard forever.
Hard smashing of buttons makes any switch more or less noisy.
But at least membrane switch has that rubber in there to soften impact and unlike spring it doesn't "shoot" key up as hard, decreasing key cap rattle.

Again design of most mechanical switches simply fails to give damn about noise.
They literally have hard plastic parts smashing to each others both in down and up stroke.

There are very few switches, which try to soften those noises.
Cherry has marketing named not silent MX Silent, which is only available in linear force curve variants.
So has majorly different behaviour from membrane keyboard.
And Logitech has Omron made Romer-G with non-linear force curve, giving good resistance against accidental pressing.
With its backlight being well controlled, unlike in US Christmas lights MX RGB.

Associate
OP
Sent it back and swopped it for a Gigabyte Force F83 with red cherry switches, obviosuly still makes noise as I hammer the keys down but I prefer the linear switches as feel more similar to my old keyboard, also no christmas lights and ludicrious software to use and only £39.99. Dunno why no one ever mentions this keyboard Cherry MX red real deal, no daft lights or spaceship stylings, full lenght for 40quid, you can't beat it, have a look anyone reading this who likes simplicity. Its a solid and quality product but doesnt have that ultra polished feel of premium the corsair did though but absolute steal for price.

Still can't toggle function keys, I read on some keyboards you can CRTL+ESC to toggle function lock, doesnt work on this keybaord though will have to go down the autohotkey script route I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom