Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Caporegime
Well I did a lot of research before posting the pic, and the conclusion is - Im not sure (which is a shame).
I did have a close look at it and I'd say I'm pretty good at spotting a fake, but the detail seemed good to me. From what I can tell, everything looks spot on.
However (and this is where some may be able to help here), I've done a reg-check and they come back as 'Other italian make', but nothing on age.
It appears fairly common for coupes to be converted, in fact Chris Evans sold his converted coupe, son not sure if that would change any of the details on a reg check?

Anyone any ideas?

sounds like a kit car to me.

The thing is with the "fake" ferraris built from MR2s etc.. is that they try and replicate a very expensive car, using a cheap one as a donor, and making the kit cost not very much.

Why build a kit car that will turn your peugeot 406 coupe into a ferrari, if the kit ends up costing not much less than what it costs to build a ferrari ?

For modern stuff like the 430 etc... there's no point.

But for these old classic ferraris like the 250 GTO, the Daytona convertible etc.. there's every point because its the only way you'll get to buy one. You can't buy a Ferrari 365 GTB4 Daytona Spyder, because there simply aren't any for sale. If you know the right people, and have an unlimited bank balance, i'm sure one of the collectors could be persuaded to sell one, but its not the sort of car you can just buy.

And thats why the replicas of these old cars tend to be not far off the quality of the original item. There's a guy round near me that has a kit car replica of the Porsche 550 spyder. It looks and sounds incredible. The only way i knew for definite it was a kit car was by looking up the reg.

Soldato
I saw it at Silverstone last weekend:

2015 For Mustang GT by FinalD, on Flickr

2015 For Mustang GT by FinalD, on Flickr

I actually really like it, both interior and exterior styling (front, sides and rear) but I've always quite liked the Mustangs anyway, throughout the years (lets forget about the foxbody).
You can see where they took styling from older, classic ones along with updating the previous one.

Ford Mustangs by FinalD, on Flickr

Boss 320 Ford Mustangs - New vs Old by FinalD, on Flickr

Ford Mustangs by FinalD, on Flickr

Soldato
This beauty was outside work all day today. Should have heard it! :D

I went for a look round it and you should have seen how close he was to curbing the wheel! :eek:

14836806955_f8bd7f5a01_b.jpg
[/url]20140805_150318 by jonjones262, on Flickr[/IMG]

Soldato
And thats why the replicas of these old cars tend to be not far off the quality of the original item. There's a guy round near me that has a kit car replica of the Porsche 550 spyder. It looks and sounds incredible. The only way i knew for definite it was a kit car was by looking up the reg.

My father in law's company will build you a replica of a Type 35b Bugatti, which if real would be worth £1-2M, for ~£350K, and when it's finished no-one except a true historic Bugatti expert would be able to tell the difference, and then they'd have to do it by looking at chassis numbers etc.

Doesn't make it any less of a lovely thing though...just undesirable to those who can afford a real one.

Soldato
oh wow! that sounds like one hell of an interesting project! :D any chance of a build log when it happens? :)

also I remember seeing in car magazines, when I used to buy them in my teens, you could buy fibreglass Ferrari body kits for MR2s :p

Caporegime
Soldato
Didnt manage a shot of the rear as the owner drove off. You can just make out the metal sheets bolted on as mudflaps. Had Sparco seats that wrap around your head as well.

Back
Top Bottom