Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Man of Honour
I borrowed a 3.0 Supra and while it's a nice car, it was quite a weird experience. I know it's a small sporty car but it also felt quite claustrophobic (not something that normally bothers me).

So on the one hand it's good being a BMW, everything is nicely made and works well, but considering what it is, I felt it lacked character and seemed a bit odd. I think when Alex reviewed it for CarThrottle he found the same thing. An M2 Competition feels much more raw and like it would run rings around the Supra. It felt a bit more like a GT car to me.

I think with some modifications you could fix quite a bit of that. It's a striking looking car (looks way better than the Z4 version).

Soldato
Yep it's in an odd place in the market. The GT86 felt like a GT car. Its comfortable to cruise in and feels roomy inside. But it's also a lot lighter and fun to play with. You can see why they never made a turbo or 6cyl version as it would have been made the Supra even less attractive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I borrowed a 3.0 Supra and while it's a nice car, it was quite a weird experience. I know it's a small sporty car but it also felt quite claustrophobic (not something that normally bothers me).

So on the one hand it's good being a BMW, everything is nicely made and works well, but considering what it is, I felt it lacked character and seemed a bit odd. I think when Alex reviewed it for CarThrottle he found the same thing. An M2 Competition feels much more raw and like it would run rings around the Supra. It felt a bit more like a GT car to me.

I think with some modifications you could fix quite a bit of that. It's a striking looking car (looks way better than the Z4 version).

The original Supra was also never meant to be a raw experience, it was a GT car too. Anyone buying one and expecting a track scalpel has bought the wrong car imo.

I'm not a fan of the new Supra, I don't think it looks all that good and the BMW thing dilutes the heritage of it's predecessors far too much but it's definitely a GT car.

Soldato
h623L2d.jpeg

VluHyCb.jpeg

These MR2 based reps have come a long way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The original Supra was also never meant to be a raw experience, it was a GT car too. Anyone buying one and expecting a track scalpel has bought the wrong car imo.

I'm not a fan of the new Supra, I don't think it looks all that good and the BMW thing dilutes the heritage of it's predecessors far too much but it's definitely a GT car.

I personally like how it looks, but agree on all other points. I'm sure its a great GT car, but I want a Toyota to be a Toyota, and a BMW is about the farthest thing possible from that.

Supposedly Toyota played a big part in the development process, and they insisted on numerous changes to the engines to meet their standards, so perhaps they will buck the BMW reputation for bad dependability, but they aren't old enough to know yet.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I personally like how it looks, but agree on all other points. I'm sure its a great GT car, but I want a Toyota to be a Toyota, and a BMW is about the farthest thing possible from that.

Supposedly Toyota played a big part in the development process, and they insisted on numerous changes to the engines to meet their standards, so perhaps they will buck the BMW reputation for bad dependability, but they aren't old enough to know yet.

The whole Toyota insisted BMW make changes to the engines is entirely hearsay.

The B58 has been around 8 years already. Long enough to know what they’re like for reliability.

THe aftermarket has thoroughly given them death too. “Built” engines knocking on the door of 1500hp

Last edited:
Caporegime
The whole Toyota insisted BMW make changes to the engines is entirely hearsay.

Toyota: "Hey BMW, the engine is slightly too tall for our designated space, can we use smaller spark plug caps and still maintain our contractual agreements?"

BMW: "Sure, why not?"

Internet: "TOYOTA COMPLETELY CHANGES BMW ENGINE TO SUIT THEIR CAR"

Soldato
They re-developed it to get passed Toyota's much harsher destruction tests afaik. They were working on the engine long before the Supra launched and there is more than one variant of the engine. There is a reason its so much more durable than BMW's previous ones :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
The world exists outside of the UK and they sold well in other markets.

Less of a mistake than not making a Supra at all. They didn't have a chassis platform or engine platform for a Supra

They had the LC500 that they could have based the Supra on. For myself at least I am a JDM whore and if buying a Japanese car I want it to be made by Japanese people. Just looking at used prices a slightly older LC500 but still low mileage is only about 5-10k more than a year old Supra.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They re-developed it to get passed Toyota's much harsher destruction tests afaik. They were working on the engine long before the Supra launched and there is more than one variant of the engine. There is a reason its so much more durable than BMW's previous ones :D

They didn’t. Multiple variants of the same core engine isn’t anything new for BMW.

The Supra got the “new” variant of the B58 at launch because it was 2018, it had to meet Euro 6d emissions and that meant fuel system improvements and fitting a GPF

They had the LC500 that they could have based the Supra on. For myself at least I am a JDM whore and if buying a Japanese car I want it to be made by Japanese people. Just looking at used prices a slightly older LC500 but still low mileage is only about 5-10k more than a year old Supra.

A proper JDM supra by Toyota would have been great. It was just not realistic.

They could have used the LC500 as a basis, but it’s even more GT Car than what the A90 ending up being so all the complainers would still sit complaining it isn’t a “sports” car etc etc.

Then there’s the engine. The V8 is too heavy and not turbo charged. The 2GR too slow and V6. The V35A is almost there at 400ish hp twin turbo, but it’s still a V6 not an inline 6 and once again. The internet of people will complain that’s wrong because it’s not a 2J

Last edited:
Soldato
The LC is in a much higher price bracket.

But they also had the Lexus RC which is already a GT style coupe, which fits a 6cyl engine they could have base it on.

Last edited:
Soldato
"Ooooo the dash is a bit German and doesn't feel like an old crisp packet", "Ooooo it's not made from tofu and doesn't have anime stickers all over it", who gives a monkeys, cracking looking car with a fab engine. Better to exist in collaboration with BMW, than not at all.

Internet people really are the worst (he types, on the Internet).

Soldato

They definately need to appeal to the used car buyers dont they? ...

Man of Honour
The LC is in a much higher price bracket.

But they also had the Lexus RC which is already a GT style coupe, which fits a 6cyl engine they could have base it on.

It fits a V6, I doubt there’s engine bay space to package an inline 6. But Toyota hadn’t made an inline 6 in almost 15 years, they weren’t going to develop one for a low volume GT car.

So we return to the internet losing its mind because it’s not a 2J or even an inline 6

Man of Honour

I've driven the LC500 too and that is a different proposition entirely. It feels like a big barge of a thing compared to the Supra. Think S Class Coupe.

Soldato
The LC500 is one of the best Jap looking Jap cars made in many years in my eyes. Such a presence about them. Holding their value really well too.
A couple of years ago there was one up my road every so often, visiting family I guess. Used to hear it coming past, always worth twitching the blinds to get a look.

Back
Top Bottom