Post your VR Setup/Rooms

Soldato
Can some of you guys post your VR room/Setups so I can get an idea of what I should be aiming for playspace and placement wise/logistics.

Soldato
You don't need to see anybody else's setup really. The following are rough guidelines. You can use VR in nearly any space where you can stand and swing your arms. But, more space = better experience and less chance of breaking anything.

You need an area at least 2.5m by 2.5m. IF you are using the Rift you will need 3 sensors for that area, if you go any bigger you will need 4 sensors. You will need a USB 3 extension cable and a HDMI extension cable. The extra sensors come with their own extension cable. Depending on where your computer is placed in the room, you might need a couple more USB extension cables for the front sensors.

Placement, just put a sensor in each corner of the room, above head height so they are looking down onto the play area. There is an app out on Oculus that lets you see what the sensors are seeing so you can fine tune the placement.

There isn't really anything complicated about it. Getting a big enough area to play is the hardest thing.

Soldato
While that's good general advice, not all of it may be necessary :)
My space is larger and two diagonal sensors in the upper corners work perfectly well for me, although I know it's not the case for everyone. I was also running the sensors via USB2 for a while, which was also perfectly fine.
HDMI extension hasn't been necessary in this space either. Then again, I guess that depends on where the PC is located or if you're using ceiling cable mounts.

Soldato
While that's good general advice, not all of it may be necessary :)
My space is larger and two diagonal sensors in the upper corners work perfectly well for me, although I know it's not the case for everyone. I was also running the sensors via USB2 for a while, which was also perfectly fine.
HDMI extension hasn't been necessary in this space either. Then again, I guess that depends on where the PC is located or if you're using ceiling cable mounts.

My USB 3 extension cable is for the Headset. You don't need USB 3, but, there is more chance of a USB 3 port having the required power.

Soldato
OP
You don't need to see anybody else's setup really. The following are rough guidelines. You can use VR in nearly any space where you can stand and swing your arms. But, more space = better experience and less chance of breaking anything.

You need an area at least 2.5m by 2.5m. IF you are using the Rift you will need 3 sensors for that area, if you go any bigger you will need 4 sensors. You will need a USB 3 extension cable and a HDMI extension cable. The extra sensors come with their own extension cable. Depending on where your computer is placed in the room, you might need a couple more USB extension cables for the front sensors.

Placement, just put a sensor in each corner of the room, above head height so they are looking down onto the play area. There is an app out on Oculus that lets you see what the sensors are seeing so you can fine tune the placement.

There isn't really anything complicated about it. Getting a big enough area to play is the hardest thing.

Haha I know I don't need to see anyone elses setup but its nice to see, especially from a cable management side of things and making things look tidy/nice. I saw on youtube some genius beautiful looking setups which ran the headset cable in the ceiling so its basically as good as wirelesss which I thought was genius.

My playspace at present is limited due to a big sofa. I'd say its 2.5x1.5M which is sadly an issue :(

Soldato
Haha I know I don't need to see anyone elses setup but its nice to see, especially from a cable management side of things and making things look tidy/nice. I saw on youtube some genius beautiful looking setups which ran the headset cable in the ceiling so its basically as good as wirelesss which I thought was genius.

My playspace at present is limited due to a big sofa. I'd say its 2.5x1.5M which is sadly an issue :(

Well, my play space is also my work space so I have zero cable management.

If you orientate yourself in your play space so you are moving forwards and backwards in the 2.5m space and side to side in the 1.5m space, it might work better. Most people tend to move forwards and backwards more than side to side, well at least all the people that I demoed it to.

Soldato
OP
Well, my play space is also my work space so I have zero cable management.

If you orientate yourself in your play space so you are moving forwards and backwards in the 2.5m space and side to side in the 1.5m space, it might work better. Most people tend to move forwards and backwards more than side to side, well at least all the people that I demoed it to.

Very very good point.

Back
Top Bottom