• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Potentially broken graphics card.

Associate
Hello All,

I am looking for any hints or tips regarding my graphics card, which I think I may be broken. This is the card:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...graphics-card-retail-all-white-bg-028-kf.html

I purchased the card from overclockers just over four years ago, warranty long gone.

Initial problem:

During gaming the screen started to behave strange, odd shapes appearing etc then eventually it would crash. I initially put this down to the game so I started the game again same thing only this time blue vertical lines started to appear on the screen and then a major crash. When the system was restored a pop up from windows appeared stating some kernel driver had failed but was restored and there was a number something 387.??. Annoyed I didn't record this.

Eventually this stopped for a while then whilst doing nothing blue squares started to appear on the screen so I knew something was wrong.

What I have done so far:

Last night updated to the very latest drivers.

Today I gave the whole PC a tidy out it was a bit dusty but nothing severe. This included removing the card and making sure there was no dust in the PCI slot etc.

After this I managed to get a picture on the monitor but it also had blue vertical lines and it was almost like safe mode for example the resolution was 800 x 600 and I couldn't change that.

I am going to borrow another cable tomorrow to try that out but I doubt that will be the problem.

Other than that it only leaves two possibilities either the card is knackered or my slot on the motherboard is broken.

I am going to try again tomorrow but would anyone have any other suggestions that might be worth trying? I cant really think of anything at the moment.

As always any help at all would really be appreciated.

Associate
OP
Hello All,

Just an update on how I'm getting on with this. So managed to borrow a cable from a mate and tried it out. No change at all screen restricted too 800 x 600, blue horizontal lines across the screen and windows doesn't recognize the card at all. So again I think that only two things can be wrong at this stage, faulty card or faulty motherboard. I'm going to take the card round to friends who is good with PCB and soldering etc but I'm not holding out much luck.

Couple of things I was wondering.

Does 4 years seem good or bad for graphics card life?

What would I be looking at in terms of getting the same card for today's money?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Associate
also a decent replacement id say is a 1050ti, also that cards price isn't too inflated as its not great for mining - I would know - tbh its a horrible time to buy graphics cards. Waiting to jump on that new rx 580 coming out soon for £250.

Associate
OP
also a decent replacement id say is a 1050ti, also that cards price isn't too inflated as its not great for mining - I would know - tbh its a horrible time to buy graphics cards. Waiting to jump on that new rx 580 coming out soon for £250.

Something like this?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-335-ms.html

A lot less than I paid for my last gpu.

I don't know what mining is. Tried to have a search there, seems complicated?

Cheers anyway

Associate
well in terms of performance, the 1050ti is a close match to your 780. 1060s and 1070s are not worth their prices, i'd say a 1080 is good value if you can find one around 500. All just my opinion though ^^

Associate
OP
well in terms of performance, the 1050ti is a close match to your 780. 1060s and 1070s are not worth their prices, i'd say a 1080 is good value if you can find one around 500. All just my opinion though ^^

Could be a good shout! I have never owned a AMD. What do you think?

Associate
A new AMD rx580 8gb, Red Dragon or something from Powercolour, should be out soon for £250, sounds good. I love the new AMD Vega cards, however now that their prices went up I wouldn't recommend them.

Caporegime
There's quite a bit of difference between the 1050Ti and GTX780, well, at least in terms of benchmarks anyway. In games, there might not be quite as much in it.

Associate
OP
There's quite a bit of difference between the 1050Ti and GTX780, well, at least in terms of benchmarks anyway. In games, there might not be quite as much in it.

Being 100% honest I never pushed this card to the limit but I know what you mean. I mostly game but its old total war games I play. I will not be sinking the same cash into my next graphics card as I did my last.

Thanks though.

Caporegime
As mentioned, maybe grab a second-hand AMD card (or whatever you fancy/can source), and hopefully, you get lucky where 'price for performance' is concerned. It's a shame it's such a pants time to buy a graphics processor. Good luck. :)

Associate
OP
As mentioned, maybe grab a second hand AMD card (or whatever you fancy/can source), and hopefully, you get lucky where 'price for performance' is concerned. It's a shame it's such a pants time to buy a graphics processor. Good luck. :)

I'm on the intel graphics now so it wont be long until I get fed up with that. If I don't get any luck with fixing this card which I probably wont, a new card will be on the horizon. I wouldn't buy a second hand card not for me. I will do a bit of research but being honest £150 at the most this time.

What do you think 4 years for dying graphics card?

Cheers

Associate
OP
In your case: some moderately intensive gaming and general PC usage, I would say quite the norm, really. If anything, I think you've done well.

Seems fair enough to me. It just hurts when you spend so much cash on something that doesn't even last 4 years. Doesn't seem right to me.

Anyways I am where I am..

Associate
OP
Hi All,

Just giving an update on this post. So I am still using the intel graphics at the moment :( . I haven't really had a chance to test my existing 780GTX card although I am fairly certain its done. My budget hasn't changed much, could maybe push to £200. As before I wont be buying second hand. What's the best card for £200. Gaming wise it hasn't changed total war games mostly, although I would like to play GTA5. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom