** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Mobster
Soldato
i have a fury strix and im tempted by the XR34 , ive always went with bigger hz on monitors as my main use is games my monitor atm is an aoc 1920X1080 144hz .

i was wondering if anyone had made a similar change in the past and noticed any great difference with the difference in hz going from 144 to 75 etc

appreciate any feedback :)

Rather than go from 144hz to 75, you can overclock the XR34 to 100Hz and to be honest and from what I read from most people, you cant really notice the difference from 100 to 144. If you do get any coil while, I've heard you can drop the overclock a little and it will or should remove that.

Associate
its hard to say as everyone seems to have a different view, myself i cant notice any difference in higher or lower hz, but i can say without a doubt gaming on the xr34 is epic,
i pretty much play cs go everyday and have no problems with ghosting or input lag

Thanks for that appreciate your feedback

Rather than go from 144hz to 75, you can overclock the XR34 to 100Hz and to be honest and from what I read from most people, you cant really notice the difference from 100 to 144. If you do get any coil while, I've heard you can drop the overclock a little and it will or should remove that.

i was aware that the gsync version of the xr34 could be overclocked but not the freesync , i will do some research thanks for pointing this out

Soldato
Thanks for that appreciate your feedback

i was aware that the gsync version of the xr34 could be overclocked but not the freesync , i will do some research thanks for pointing this out

You can't overclock the XR341CK past 75Hz without frame skipping from what I've tested. And I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary. See my comments earlier on this thread.

Soldato
i tried oc to 85hz but did not have a decent camera to use with ufo test for frame skipping, i had a quick blast on cs go and though there was nothing obvious something just didnt feel right so ive just left it at 75hz

Associate
You can't overclock the XR341CK past 75Hz without frame skipping from what I've tested. And I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary. See my comments earlier on this thread.

I didn't think so , tbh im pretty happy with running 75 fps . As i have no clue as to how this works just out of interest if i buy this monitor and run a game like BF4 with well over 100fps and i run something like dxtory to monitor fps would the screen auto set my fps or will i have to change settings in my games so i dont exceed 75fps?

Soldato
I didn't think so , tbh im pretty happy with running 75 fps . As i have no clue as to how this works just out of interest if i buy this monitor and run a game like BF4 with well over 100fps and i run something like dxtory to monitor fps would the screen auto set my fps or will i have to change settings in my games so i dont exceed 75fps?

i just use crimson and limit the fps to 74

Soldato
It's not the same thing. Vsync syncs the FPS to the refresh rate, G-sync/freesync is the other way round so it's a lot smoother.

Yes, yes I know but I have a Fury X and the XR341CK. If I am getting more than 75FPS in the game I can turn on Vsync - this essentially locks the game at 75FPS whilst still using freesync - perfect smoothness with no input lag or screen tearing.

Associate
Yes, yes I know but I have a Fury X and the XR341CK. If I am getting more than 75FPS in the game I can turn on Vsync - this essentially locks the game at 75FPS whilst still using freesync - perfect smoothness with no input lag or screen tearing.

I do the same with my 390X and XR341. I've noticed that with Vsync+Freesync Elite Dangerous is smoother (less micro-stutter or judder) compared to just Freesync on it's own.

Soldato
I thought it was best to turn off vsync with Freesync, I will give it a go and see how it goes

Aye let us know. I read a really extensive review of the XR34 freesync. The review said that if the game was running faster than the max freesync range then you could switch vsync off and live with tearing which might not be so bad at higher refresh rates - or words to that effect. So the opposite of that is to turn vsync on to lock the frames and refresh at 75. I'll try and find to post a link.

Edit: Found it:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bought a x34a today. Should be here at somepoint. With the coilwhine not really gonna effect someone wearing headphones is it? :p

Also is a 980ti a decent card for it? Cheers

Soldato
^ Still putting a smile on my face too :) Mine has zero coil whine too and I mean zero. I have bat like hearing for that type of thing and as silent a rig as possible. (I Sent back 2 air purifiers because I could hear a high pitched sound from them that no one else could!)

one 980ti isn't enough to do this monitor justice bud to be honest in many games now. 3440x1440 at 100hz takes a LOT of GPU grunt. I bought a second 980ti, due to this bloody awesome monitor! Gaming nirvana now :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom