1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Gibbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. wunkley

Mobster

Enjoy it. Best monitor I've ever owned.

In terms of brightness -80!? Are you using it in a room with direct sunlight? That's waaaay too high. I have mine set at 36, and other settings in line with those on the TFT central review/ calibration recommendations. Aside from burning out your retinas, If you have the brightness too high it also exacerbates any backlight bleed.

2. Sega Mega Dave

Mobster

80 brightness? Are you after permanent retina damage?

I run mine at 30.

3. easyrider

Caporegime

Mine is at 30

4. JediFragger

Capodecina

28 :p

5. Westie

Soldato

45 i use and that's in a pitch black room with light coming from the fish tank

6. Mr Lazy

Associate

Has anyone successfully activated the Acer extended service plan (4 or 5 year carry-in) for the X34 (Freesync version)?

I purchased it a few days ago (monitor is now 11 months old, you have to activate within 365 days of purchase) but when I went to activate it I received an error saying that the plan was "not compatible" with this monitor and the support team confirmed this (no explanation why). Currently trying to get a refund. Seems bizarre that they do not even mention any restrictions on the store page before you purchase. Not impressed.

7. Guest2

Capodecina

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  8. Glanza

Capodecina

Got in touch with Acer regarding a possible repair on my broken screen x34, £37.20 for them to collect and give me a price for a repair.

May aswell send it in and see what price they come back with for a new panel if possible.

9. JediFragger

Capodecina

Well, at least it's an option even if it's going to be fairly expensive. Just a massive paperweight without a fix :(

10. wunkley

Mobster

Interesting, had a quick read of the tomshardware review with their notes about the calibration and reducing contrast, whilst slightly upping the user RGB settings. I've given it a quick whirl and can't see any major benefits/ losses but need to test some more (using Lagom etc is a good starting point http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php)

Also, quick note about the brightness setting - I'm pretty sure that the standard user environment/ settings to use are for "Brightness 120cd/m2" which they recommend a monitor setting of brightness at 33. This is in line with the TFT central findings, and most of us on here.

11. P.B

Wise Guy

still want one of these has any one gone from the 144hz 2560x1440 ips acer screen to this?

12. Glanza

Capodecina

Forgot to post here, Acer got in touch with me Friday to repair my x34 would cost £681 inc vat.

I'm already up and running on the Rog 34" so not sure whether to get this repaired or not as at that price hardly make anything on selling it once repaired.

13. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Sorry if I missed this in a previous post but why isn't this a warranty repair?

14. old gamer

Mobster

yep not worth it, as gutted as i would feel i would just bin it and forget about it

15. Glanza

Capodecina

I knocked it over and smashed the panel, not covered under warranty.

Probably way I'll go with it, shame really but atleast with the ROG it's covered via Amazon if anything happens to it.

16. spluff

Wise Guy

Can you not claim on your house insurance?

17. Cavallino

Capodecina

Hey folks. New X34 owner here purchased from OCUK.

The box still says X34. How do I determine if in fact it is an X34A?

18. JediFragger

Capodecina

I think mine had a sticker on it saying the stand was adjustable yet still said X34 on the box. If yours turns side-to-side then it's an X34A :)

19. Cavallino

Capodecina

Ah cheers. JF.

One more thing... I noticed something.... like scanlines? Quick google reveals this is something inherent to Gsync or the like? Anybody seen this?

20. Cavallino

Capodecina

Sorry to ask again folks, but upon further investigation it seems that this "scanline" effect occurs when the monitor is overclockered to 100Hz.

Its EVER so faint, but you can see what is best described as scanlines really more than anything.

If I disable the overclock its back to normal...

Googling seems to reveal this as a regular occurrence, but I would like to ask you all if you could shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.