PowerBank recommdations - Qualcomm

Soldato
If you're going to wait for USB-C variants (like I am) I think it's worth waiting for QC 4/4+ ones, as they will also be USB-PD compliant so it will fast charge the more standard devices. 3.0 and below was only designed for micro USB.

Man of Honour
If you're going to wait for USB-C variants (like I am) I think it's worth waiting for QC 4/4+ ones, as they will also be USB-PD compliant so it will fast charge the more standard devices. 3.0 and below was only designed for micro USB.

Not necessarily true. Qualcomm themselves have stated that their QC standard isn't specific to any jack type and spans the entire range of standard jacks. It's up to manufacturers to use the latest jack standards instead of being stuck in the past. It just so happens that going forward, that Type-C is the desired standard now, and rightly so, and because of the recent 56kohm-gate issues with cables/adapters, third parties have been slower to adopt than OEMs.

USB-PD will reach its limit for mobile devices really. Sure, Type-C PD supports up to 100W of power input, and that's specifically for high draw devices like laptops. Phones will always use low current/voltage for fast charging. In terms of QC4 and above, those are more intelligent using existing voltage and current ranges to efficiently fast charge.

Soldato
Not necessarily true. Qualcomm themselves have stated that their QC standard isn't specific to any jack type and spans the entire range of standard jacks. It's up to manufacturers to use the latest jack standards instead of being stuck in the past. It just so happens that going forward, that Type-C is the desired standard now, and rightly so, and because of the recent 56kohm-gate issues with cables/adapters, third parties have been slower to adopt than OEMs.

True, while Qualcomm said it's connector independant, it still violated some of the USB-C specs: https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/cEvVQLXhyRX

The difference is that Qualcomm's solution is very proprietary, and it takes over the D+/D- (usb data) lines for good, so that Type-A port can't be used to communicate to your PC at the same time you fast charge.

But honestly I just want something that can work with both QC and USB-PD devices, I seem to have a mix of both now :p.

Back
Top Bottom