Premier League Game 28th November

Associate
Blackburn 0-4 Aston Villa

Great great win for the Villa at a very tricky place, seems like it's coming together and even Marlene Harewood netted at the death!

Soldato
Yup, absolutely delighted with that result! Tricky game on Saturday, always seem to get mugged by Arsenal at home, usually by the now-departed pebble-head himself, but i'll happily take a draw on Saturday. Table looks nice with us in the mix with the big boys, wouldn't you say?

First time we've won 4 on the spin since 2000 :eek:

Associate
OP
Yup, absolutely delighted with that result! Tricky game on Saturday, always seem to get mugged by Arsenal at home, usually by the now-departed pebble-head himself, but i'll happily take a draw on Saturday. Table looks nice with us in the mix with the big boys, wouldn't you say?

First time we've won 4 on the spin since 2000 :eek:

3 points off 2nd!

If we can get something from Arsenal on Saturday, even a scrappy draw, it will offer a hope that we can sustain something for the rest of the campaign - we have beaten Chelsea 2-0 at VP, and went 1-0 up home to Man Utd, but capitulated just before half time, so fingers crossed we don't get beaten.

Pleased with Ashley Young and Gabby Agbonlahor who continue to impress, Gareth Barry has shaken off his England woes, Scotty Carson has responded with two clean sheets, and big John is looking real handful up top!

So, with that in mind, here's banking on a 0-4 reversal on Saturday, with our 'keeper having a stinker!

Associate
great win for villa - score flattered them and they had some luck but you can see they are making their own luck with a solid unit.

what i like about them is the core of english players, the style of play and pace.

agbonlahor has to be the top english striker in the league this season; he has been outstanding.

what's more the team still have money to spend and a small squad to add to. with a top right back and winger to add to what's there plus a forward for indulgence i can see them taking spurs spot as the nearest top 4 challenger.

young has been class for them this season also.

hope they get mellberg and laursen tied up asap - still not sure about zat, but he is doing ok that is for sure.

villa just need to maintain it in the middle, they haven't had a consistent season for some time.

they deserve praise this season for sure.

Associate
OP
By the way, do you think the Messiah MON will spend big in January? It seems Randy will give him backing, where he needs it.

Carson's deal for £2m loan + £8m seems on the brink - will he keep Curtis Davies? £10m seems a lot for Zat Knight's understudy, and to be honest, I'm not sure he will want to sign permanently if he can't break through.

We need a solid right back, as Olof isn't really cut out for playing out there, and would like to see perhaps another decent midfielder to offer something on the right, as not too sure about Gardner or Petrov out there.

In an ideal World we would get a decent centre half from somewhere too - I used to think Woodgate might be a decent seal if 'Boro look doomed, but after Gabby tore him to shreds on Saturday, perhaps not!.

Soldato
I can't remember who I talked to Agbonlahor about the other day, think it might have been on here, but according to them, "isn't good enough for England". I'm sorry, but a kid with that pace, vision, accuracy and passion, as well as being a versatile player, is plenty enough for me. Top English scorer in the league, can play attacking midfield, right mid, as well as a striker, and plays some cracking balls into the box. Quality. Pure quality.

Associate
OP
agbonlahor has to be the top english striker in the league this season; he has been outstanding.

Totally agree, I don't quite know how he remains behind the likes of Defoe, Bent and Johnson in the England pecking order, at the moment.

Still, new Manager might have a Danny La Rue!

Associate
no need for a centre half with laursen, mellberg, zat, cahill. think curtis won't stay. we are too good to really need him right now and his lack of fitness has been unfortunate. would buy him and loan him to derby if we could though.

hope we are still after the boswinga (sp), who looks a decent attacking rb. just hope we get the right type of player in.

saying that, i did not think young will come so good so fast - especially on the wing.

Associate
OP
I can't remember who I talked to Agbonlahor about the other day, think it might have been on here, but according to them, "isn't good enough for England". I'm sorry, but a kid with that pace, vision, accuracy and passion, as well as being a versatile player, is plenty enough for me. Top English scorer in the league, can play attacking midfield, right mid, as well as a striker, and plays some cracking balls into the box. Quality. Pure quality.

Dazza - I quoted the news papers who were indicating Arsenal were willing to pay £15m for Gabby, and people on here scoffed saying he isn't worth half that - I think it shows genuine naiivity on their part.

He is absolute class and a Villa boy through and through.

Associate

a lot of people said that on here, and doubted his 15 million purported fee. i said then that that was a fair price in this market. compared to walcott, nugent et al he has done it in the prem to warrant a higher fee - with at least as much potential.

his willingness to use his pace is what really sets him out. it means out attack press so hard up there.

Associate
OP
no need for a centre half with laursen, mellberg, zat, cahill. think curtis won't stay. we are too good to really need him right now and his lack of fitness has been unfortunate. would buy him and loan him to derby if we could though.

hope we are still after the boswinga (sp), who looks a decent attacking rb. just hope we get the right type of player in.

saying that, i did not think young will come so good so fast - especially on the wing.

I think there is a chance Big Olof might nip off in the Summer - he has indicated he wants another go on the continent, and it seems there is an interest. I also think he is committed, but always looks on the brink of a gaff.

Martin Laursen has also been superb - he is one of the best in the Premiership in the air - but there will always remain question marks over his knee - this has been his longest run of football for years. Cahill is solid, but if we have genuine hope of breaking into the top 6 consistently, I think we need more quality than he can offer.

Associate
OP
I think Knight's settled in quite well. Mellberg isn't really suited at RB, but I hope he pens a new deal. Gardner can play there but it's not his usual position.

For £1.5m Zat was a steady purchase, not spectacular, but a decent lump to get in the way, especially compared to someone like Kaboul who cost 4 times that, but he tends to drift a bit out of the game for me - eg when "marking" Rooney at Home to Man Utd.

Back
Top Bottom