Premiership Games 14/10 **Spoilers**

Permabanned
I've seen it loads of times now and can't see even the hint of any intent,he didn't even attempt to put his foot in ( the majority of strikers almost certainly would have ) . Cechs momentum took him into hunts path,awful injury,purely accidental.
I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

I can understand the Chelsea fans being miffed when a member here seems happy about the injury,but as these are the same fans who thought that Hamman making a few bad tackles in his career made the Essien assualt on him last year somehow acceptable, i have little sympathy with them.Doubly so with Moaning Mourhinho

Man of Honour
EasyG said:
i hope GR doesn't come under pressure cause of our crap defence.

He's the manager. He had all summer to strengthen the defence, and there's nothing to stop him picking Taylor ahead of Bramble at centrehalf.

He moans in the press about defensive errors costing Newcastle again, well, why doesn't he try and mix things up a little? Throw in a youth team player or something.

I'm not suggesting that Roeder is responsible for all of Newcastle's failings; problems existed long before he took over. But I have little sympathy for a manager who continually picks a player who blatantly isn't up to the task.

Man of Honour
Anyone see Ben Foster's throw out on MOTD? Jesus, it was like Schmeichel on steroids, must have been a good 60-70 yard throw to setup a Watford attack down the right flank.

Soldato
HangTime said:
Anyone see Ben Foster's throw out on MOTD? Jesus, it was like Schmeichel on steroids, must have been a good 60-70 yard throw to setup a Watford attack down the right flank.

Aye, he's good young promising keeper, I think he was lined up to replace VDS before we bought Kjzkkfgsign.

Associate
Excellent choice of phrases there Dtab - Hamman/Gerrard/other players make "bad tackles" - Essien makes an "Assault".
So I can see why you didn't join the call to have Michael Brown retro-actively red carded for his "bad tackle" on A.Cole the other week.
That's because it wasn't an "assault" in your/The Sun's/Sky's eyes. Mr Kettle - meet Mr Pot.
He might not have put his foot in. It doesnt mean that he didn't intend to rough up the Chelsea keeper at an early stage of the game.

Don
maby66 said:
He might not have put his foot in. It doesnt mean that he didn't intend to rough up the Chelsea keeper at an early stage of the game.
Like ive said before, JM was right there is no comparison between the Essien-Hamann incident and the Hunt-Cech incident, the difference being is there was no intent by Hunt.
You keep saying he intended to rattle Cech, but if that was the case why doesn't he dive in or really clatter into him? All he's done is catch him with his knee as he's carried on running. If he was trying to catch him then he's got lucky to do so because he's only just caught the top of his head when he could have quite easily jumped into him.

Associate
BaZ - I'm not making comparisons between Essien/Hamann and Hunt. I was pointing out that Dtab has swallowed the media hook line and sinker that there is a difference in bad tackles based on 1) who you play for 2) what the agenda is in any given week - hence the fact that Hamann/Gerrard/Brown etc can make "bad tackles" but Essien makes an "assault".

You've said yourself he carried on running - why do it?
It's keepers ball and he was never going to get to it first.
You seem to be confusing intent to cause serious injury - which I'm not attributing - to intent to go into the keeper.
Riley cocked it up by not being stronger in dealing with it (which then meant the game became extremely bad temepered, more poor tackles went on - 2 sendings off and the replacement goalie knocked unconscious and swallowing his tongue), he made Cech CRAWL off the field with a depressed fracture of the skull (operation last night was to remove fragments of bone from his brain) and then allowed play to continue when Carlo was out cold.

Hunt's actions do need to reviewed post match, as does Riley's reffing.

Permabanned
On the close up replay it actually looks like Hunt is trying to avoid a collision if anything.

Cudicini slides into him.

I doubt there was any intent on Hunts behalf.

Don
maby66 said:
BaZ - I'm not making comparisons between Essien/Hamann and Hunt. I was pointing out that Dtab has swallowed the media hook line and sinker that there is a difference in bad tackles based on 1) who you play for 2) what the agenda is in any given week - hence the fact that Hamann/Gerrard/Brown etc can make "bad tackles" but Essien makes an "assault".

You've said yourself he carried on running - why do it?
It's keepers ball and he was never going to get to it first.
You seem to be confusing intent to cause serious injury - which I'm not attributing - to intent to go into the keeper.
As for the Essien Hamann etc stuff, he was mentioning that some people excused what Essien done because Hamann had made bad tackles in the past, his choice of words may have been a bit biased. Im not too interested in that anyway.

Watch the clip again, Hunts run does not move, Cech's momentum takes him into Hunt. Hunt had every right to continue his run just incase he got there first or Cech fumbled the ball and it was also very difficult for Hunt to avoid Cech once Cech had gathered the ball (which if you watch the clip, Hunt is only 1 step away from Cech at that point).

Im not getting intent to injure and intent to go into the keeper confussed either. There was no intent at all, Hunt has only just caught him, if he wanted to rattle the keeper like you say he could have quite easily made more/better contact than he did.
Chrisss said:
On the close up replay it actually looks like Hunt is trying to avoid a collision if anything.
Exaclty and thats why he caught him with his knee rather than his foot or shin

Caporegime
If he intended to hurt Cech he would've done so by showing his studs. None of the Chelsea players rushed to Cech's aid nor did they surround the ref, looking for a card, which is usually the case when a player has commited a serious foul. IMO, it was nothing more than a clumsy challenge and I hope Hunt doesn't get punished.

Last edited:
Permabanned
maby66 said:

Sorry,i haven't swallowed anything
I never mentioned Gerrard -but i will admit that a couple of his have been as bad as Essiens.
Your picking on one word i used but missing or avoiding the point.Hamman doing something similar is no excuse for what Essien did,and it was lame that it got used as such.

Accidents happen through no fault sometimes,this is one of them.Both players were doing what they should have been doing and it all went to ****.Horrible for Cech in this case,but it could just have easily been Cech uninjured and Hunt with a broken leg,with no blame on Cech.

Associate
IMO it was originally a 55/45 ball that PC would win if he was brave. Hunt did his job and challenged. PC was brave and decide it was going to be his ball. That there was an injury was purely an accident.

Looking at the 1st replay at first I couldn't understand quite how Hunt could lower his right knee in order to catch PC on the top of his head. However, looking closely at the second replay you can just see that the momentum of PC's body caught Hunt's right foot/lower leg and pushed it to the left thereby knocking it from under him and bringing the knee lower and down onto the top of PC's head.

Lets hope PC returns to full fitness soon.

Soldato
When you watch these things in slow motion it's very easy to pin intent and a premeditated action to something which takes place in half a second.

Someone said that Hunt had half a metre to make his decision and seemed to think that that meant he had enough time to do something about it - absolute rubbish! He was running at full chat which for these guys is probably between 15 and 20 mph maybe more. How on earth is he ever going to change the fact that his leg or foot is going to hit Cech's head? The fact that it was his knee not his boot is possibly evidence that he was trying to avoid him rather than the reverse.

Also consider the possibility of injury to Hunt himself. If he was looking to "do" Cech why would he use his knee? He could have ended his own career as well quite easily.

I think Hunt is well within his rights to complain about the Chelsea boardroom regarding the slanderous comments that they have endorsed. Mourinho made them in the heat of the moment, and given a few weeks will almost undoubetly realise that what he said was wrong - intent or no. Their board have left themselves wide open to - possibly legal - action having had all night to consider the manager's comments and decide what to do about them.

It looks as if Cech will make a full recovery thank goodness, and Chelsea supporters should be thankfull for that rather than looking for a scapegoat in this horrible accident.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The Edge said:
Also consider the possibility of injury to Hunt himself. If he was looking to "do" Cech why would he use his knee? He could have ended his own career as well quite easily.

Agreed and the first thing I thought of being the victim of two injured knees.

I can remember when goalkeepers played with broken necks but these mardy arses these days are pathetic. Lehmann is the worst - you can't stand within 3 foot of him without the big girl complaining.

Caporegime
I was looking in the paper yesterday (Daily Mirror) at the Lehmann inteview "Sooner of later a keeper will be killed!" nonsense. Keepers get paid well to put themselves in danger, they are already too protected. But thats not the point of the article, the point was Lehmann saying it was dangerous for keepers and then shows a picture of a horror tackle commited by Lehmann himself at the World Cup.

All this keeper protection lark is nonsense, if they are worried, quit. There's millions out there willing to replace them!

Caporegime
hey if im playing football and someone decides to slide into me and take my legs away do you think i am going to literally jump out of their way?

keepers get WAYY too much protection, if a player goes near or makes a physical (shoulder to shoulder) challenge with a jumping keeper 9 times out of 10 a free kick will be awarded to the keeper.

gutted for cech though, he is clearly one of the best keepers in the world. but he did not become so without taking risks.

Caporegime
if u dive into the oncoming rush of someone the size of Huth, expect the worst, or dont do it and stand up to the shot its pretty simple.

i would never go into a challenge expecting someone to get out of the way, u have to be prepared for the outcome.

obviously this is different if u go into the challenge and then they suddenly lift a foot and spike u but thats slightly different.

Associate
It's not been a good couple of month for keepers.

Shay Given was the victim of that similar 45/55 tackle by Marlon Harewood and is still out I believe. That one was just as nasty as the two Chelsea incidents.
It's tragic for Cech in particular but he will know that’s part and parcel of goalkeeping. I think it should be him rather than Chelsea to decide if any action is to be taken.

Goalkeepers do usually have the advantage in any challenges with outfield players and they're protected to an extent where it's still more than safe for them to play.

What Nickg has said is right. It's expected. Admittedly, not a fractured skull, but the way goalkeepers are forced to go into challenges like that means if it doesn't go fully to plan, that there probably will be injuries to the two players involved.

Pete.

Soldato
Reading players face no FA action

The Football Association confirms no disciplinary action will arise from the incidents at Reading which saw two Chelsea goalkeepers hospitalised.
Petr Cech suffered a fractured skull following a clash with Stephen Hunt and deputy Carlo Cudicini was concussed after a collision with Ibrahima Sonko.

Cudicini criticised referee Mike Riley for his failure to take action against the Reading players involved. Chelsea voiced concerns over the treatment given to Cech.

Back
Top Bottom