Premium Bonds - If you post to say how much you've won, please also say how much you have invested.

Only £25 for me this month with 39k invested, that will drop me below 3% return which is rubbish in comparison to fixed savings accounts. I was meant to sort a fixed savings account after the last draw but never got around to it, I will be 100% this month, bonds just aren't giving the return for me at the moment compared to what I could get guaranteed.

So I won

£150 2 months ago
£200 1 month ago.

This month £50

Better than nothing I guess

I bet they are saving the £10k.winning prize (or more) for me next month as it's my birthday month .

I need to look in to an additional savings revenue earner

Last edited:
Only £25 for me this month with 39k invested, that will drop me below 3% return which is rubbish in comparison to fixed savings accounts. I was meant to sort a fixed savings account after the last draw but never got around to it, I will be 100% this month, bonds just aren't giving the return for me at the moment compared to what I could get guaranteed.
39k in a fixed savings account will be over the tax free bracket. You need to look at the long term. We've had 50k in bonds for a few years, some months we get nothing, some months we get 25 quid, twice this year we've had around 1k, eventually it'll even out but bonds are for people who like the idea of maybe winning a million and also have other savings which max out Thier tax free allowance.

I just took a look at my purchase history. I opened my NSI bonds account back in 2016. Just cashed in £16500 and now only own bonds dating from 1/11/2020. Once that cash is in my bank account I'll chuck it into a 1 years fixed at just over 6%, job done.

How will you go about this if you don't mind me asking? With £39k you're going to exceed the personal savings allowance pretty quickly at current easy access rates? Just shy of four months if you're a higher rate tax payer. Obviously paying tax on any interest above that is an option albeit not an amazing one.

39k in a fixed savings account will be over the tax free bracket. You need to look at the long term. We've had 50k in bonds for a few years, some months we get nothing, some months we get 25 quid, twice this year we've had around 1k, eventually it'll even out but bonds are for people who like the idea of maybe winning a million and also have other savings which max out Thier tax free allowance.
Well aware, read my post above. I've only removed enough to earn me £1000 interest. I keep track of my return on the bonds investment and it has dropped below 3% which is rubbish considering what you can get in a fixed account. I'll mull over what to do with the rest, if anything. Wondering whether to setup an ISA fund thing with Vanguard, but I have to be careful to leave some money accessible for emergencies.

Edit: My salary is only £47.5k however after taking into account pension my taxable pay is down at around £43k I think. So I get the full £1000 allowance.

Last edited:
If you pay basic rate then even with tax a fix at 6% works out better if guaranteed return is what matters. Gilts a good option for higher rate payers if you want a higher return.

Last edited:
I just took a look at my purchase history. I opened my NSI bonds account back in 2016. Just cashed in £16500 and now only own bonds dating from 1/11/2020. Once that cash is in my bank account I'll chuck it into a 1 years fixed at just over 6%, job done.
So you would make approx £990 of interest over 12 months . £82.50 per month ? Without tax implications?

Back
Top Bottom