Premium Bonds - If you post to say how much you've won, please also say how much you have invested.

Can someone tell me how eligibility for prizes works.
Should be coming into 4k of cash this month and adding about 1k-2k a month after and was wondering how prizes work.
I'm guessing you have to have money in a set amount of time before prizes? As in you can't pay in day before and be in the draw?

Considering premium bonds due to short term nature of this account (6 - 9 months). Hope to have 15k in after 9 months

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how eligibility for prizes works.
Should be coming into 4k of cash this month and adding about 1k-2k a month after and was wondering how prizes work.
I'm guessing you have to have money in a set amount of time before prizes? As in you can't pay in day before and be in the draw?

Considering premium bonds due to short term nature of this account (6 - 9 months). Hope to have 15k in after 9 months

Anything invested month 1 is ineligable until month 3
So pay in last day of say Jan and you will be in the draw start of March

Apart from reinvested winnings, they are eligible immediately ie next draw

Anything invested month 1 is ineligable until month 3
So pay in last day of say Jan and you will be in the draw start of March

Apart from reinvested winnings, they are eligible immediately ie next draw

Oh. Not sure if this account is right in that case. Assumed it was a 1 month lag.
Maybe easy access is best.

Last edited:
Oh. Not sure if this account is right in that case. Assumed it was a 1 month lag.
Maybe easy access is best.
Well its a 1 month lag if you put in last day of the month
Its almost 2 months if you put in start of the month

Its a monthly draw so...

I used to pay in last day of the month, having had it in savings for however long was between whenfunds were ready to send and that last day
You can withdraw anytime, but obviously ideally you do just after a draw

Well its a 1 month lag if you put in last day of the month
Its almost 2 months if you put in start of the month

Its a monthly draw so...

I used to pay in last day of the month, having had it in savings for however long was between whenfunds were ready to send and that last day
You can withdraw anytime, but obviously ideally you do just after a draw

I'll work it out. See if it's worth bothering. I expect interest on 6-9 months of 7-8k isn't much. And whether it's worth the gamble on PBs.
7-8k as It'll end at 15k but drip feeding. So easier to half the total.

Expect I'd get 5pc at best easy access isa.
5pc on 7k for 6-9 months that's about 150ish? (rough in head figures)

Probably doesn't matter either way really

Last edited:
I'll work it out. See if it's worth bothering. I expect interest on 6-9 months of 7-8k isn't much. And whether it's worth the gamble on PBs.
7-8k as It'll end at 15k but drip feeding. So easier to half the total.

Expect I'd get 5pc at best easy access isa.
5pc on 7k for 6-9 months that's about 100--150ish? (rough in head figures)

Probably doesn't matter either way really

Probably better to split. Early on if you fancy PBs then send the money there so they see a few draws.
Once your within say 3-4 months of your end, then just leave that in a savings account. The impact of the time gap is significant on short term savings with PBs.
They arent suposed to be short term

Probably better to split. Early on if you fancy PBs then send the money there so they see a few draws.
Once your within say 3-4 months of your end, then just leave that in a savings account. The impact of the time gap is significant on short term savings with PBs.
They arent suposed to be short term

Yeah was thinking that.
If I wasn't so close to the tax threshold I'd put it in an easy access non isa. But having to do SA being over that is more hassle than its worth.
I'd rather stick to isa/PB

From the September draw, Premium Bonds prize fund rate is increasing to 4.65% & the odds are improving to 21,000 to 1 from 22,000 to 1

PBSEP23.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any PB but reading this thread has me interested.

All my extra income I'm using to pay off a few outstanding debts (no interest), but I could easily throw £500 or something towards PB just 'to be in it' and leave it there. Or is it pointless having such a small amount as I know the chance if actually winning anything would be soooo low?

I don't have any PB but reading this thread has me interested.

All my extra income I'm using to pay off a few outstanding debts (no interest), but I could easily throw £500 or something towards PB just 'to be in it' and leave it there. Or is it pointless having such a small amount as I know the chance if actually winning anything would be soooo low?
Chance of winning is awful with low balances, you're better off with an isa.

Back
Top Bottom