Preparing to apply to the 1,000lb club

Associate
OP
Smooth progress :)

It really does seem that slow and steady is the way to go. Hopefully the steady progress will continue leading up to a potential competition in November.

17/08/16 - Wednesday - Medium Deadlift

Lats night my adductors and hamstrings were still feeling a little bit beaten up from squats on Monday, so I was a little bit apprehensive about deadlifting today.
I arrived at the gym and I was pleasantly surprised with how the warmups felt so pushed the weight and reps.

Sumo Deadlift Block Pull (~1.5"-2")

60kg x 5 (floor)
60kg x 3
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
117.5kg x 3x10

The rest was a little bit longer each set as I was dying but the speed of the reps and the form was solid.

Deadlift

115kg x 2x10

This was definitely enough and was harder than it should have been, due to fatigue, but at the same time I was expecting worse.

Back Extensions

BW x 3x10

Tight core, tight lower back. Tight.

Great session and it's given me lots of confidence for when I go to pull sumo from the floor next week. Rest, get up early and fly tomorrow morning, eat and hope for the best with the heavy bench session tomorrow.

Associate
OP
19/08/16 - Friday - Heavy Bench

I was a lot more tired than I had thought as all the warm ups were shaky and the work sets just weren't too brilliant either.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 2
75kg x 2x8
75kg x 6

Gutted that I missed the last two reps but it's room for improvement next week.

Spoto Bench Press

67.5kg x 2x8

Nice.

DB Bench Press

22kg x 4x8

Miles better than last cycle.

DB Rows

26kg x 4x8

Still a tad easy, could have upped the weight but I'll see how I feel next week.

Face Pulls

18.75kg x 3x8

Face Pulls are face pulls I guess.

It was actually a pretty good session but my main bench work was just tough. I was however exceptionally tired and had only had a few hours sleep the past few nights.

Associate
OP
20/08/16 - Saturday - Medium Squat

Today was horrific due to mobility issues and that made the movement more difficult. Still made some pb's but I'll probably just redo the same sets/reps/weights on my next medium squat session.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
80kg x 3x10

Just bleh, and ankles feel a little bit jacked up after that.

Front Squats

65kg x 2x10

Ooft, tough after all the other volume.

Good morning

45kg x 3x10

And that's that session done. Relatively easy if I'm honest but the ankle issues did not make it fun and because it put to parts of the movement ever so slightly off. Time to work on my mobility for Monday. Hopefully a nice light bench session tomorrow.

Associate
OP
How come you train squats/most exercises in sets of 10? Does the higher volume work better for you?

I'm currently going through a hypertrophy phase in attempt to put on as much mass as I can before switching back to strength work. In terms of muscle growth it seems to have worked as I think I look bigger but my strength has suffered slightly. In the strength phase I'll make sure I carry over enough volume to maintain the gains I made in the hypertrophy phase but then up the weight and drop the reps to focus on making the new muscle strong.

22/08/16 - Monday - Heavy Squat

Today was supposed to be heavy squats but I've been incredibly busy and rushed off my feet since last Thursday so today was absolutely rubbish. Fatigue was high, sleep was low, food was low, strength was low.

Low Bar Squats

Bar x lots x lots
40Kg x 8
60kg x 6
80kg x 4
90kg x 2
97.5kg x 3x6 (3+3, 6, 3+3)

Positioning was horrible because of mobility which meant that the bar was rolling down my back on a rep or two and had to break the set up, I was slightly leaning on one hip because of tight hips/ankles, this caused an uneven concentric on a rep or two, and I just felt weak despite the weight not actually feelin that heavy.

High bar Paused Squat

80kg x 3x6

Much better and significantly easier.

Good Monrings

45kg x 3x10

Light but positioning was rubbish.

Need to really focus on recovery and mobility over the next few days as I should be deadlifting on Wednesday and want that session to go well.

Associate
OP
23/08/16 - Tuesday - Medium Bench

Today was a good day. Bench volume pb from the last medium session so I'm happy.

Wide Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3x8

2x10 last week but 3x8 is still a total volume pb and it gives me a solid focus for 3x10 next week.

Medium Grip Bench

62.5kg x 3x10

Volume pb form last week, 1x10 and 2x8 to 3x10 this week.

All reps felt more solid too so that is an added bonus.

OHP

25kg x 8
35kg x 2x10
35kg x 9+1 - Fatigue just hit me but I'm still happy

Felt pretty solid so it's all good.

French Press

EZ + 10kg x 3x10

I'll increase the weight next cycle by 2.5kg - 5kg.

Machine Row

55kg x 4x10

This was considerably harder than normal cable rows but this is what I have currently, so I will make it work.

Associate
OP
24/08/16 - Wednesday - Heavy Deadlift

I had my mind set on hitting a sumo pb for several weeks and sure enough I made it.

Sumo Deadlift

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
120kg x 2
135kg(B) x 1
145kg(B) x 6 - 5kg pb
150kg(B,S) x 6 - another +5kg pb - also my old 1rm in comp too.

+10kg pb in 3 week, I am very happy with that. I used straps because the knurling on the bars was pretty terrible and this is the last time I'll push sumo for about another 14 weeks or so.

Deficit Deadlift (2")

120kg x 2x8

Nice and speedy but fatigue had taken its toll.

Back Extensions

BW x 3x12

Spent some time in the bottom position to help stretch the back out and that really helped.

Time to rest, eat, rest, eat some more, rest some more and get ready for a heavy bench session tomorrow.

Associate
OP
25/08/16 - Thursday - Heavy Bench

It might have been the heavy bench session but another rep/set pb was made. Left pec was under quite a bit of stress though for some reason so I left the DB bench and might do it on the light bench day instead.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 2
75kg x 3x8

Boom, rep/set pb and it feels good. Should mean that gains are coming my way. My head keeps going to the right side of the bench though so I'm twisted somewhere and if I can sort this it might (almost definitely should) improve my bench.

Spoto Bench Press

67.5kg x 3x8

Might finally try and push this next week even if it's just 70kg, but the main focus will be 1 extra set to the main bench work.

DB Rows

26kg x 4x10

I was rather tired so the movement was a tad harder but the weight didn't feel too bad.

Face Pulls

18.75kg x 3x10

Great session and the next two sessions are nice and light to allow for recover before going into the final overloading week of this phase! Fun times :D

Associate
OP
29/08/16 - Monday - Medium Squats

About time a squat session felt pretty good and most of all, the knee felt pretty good too.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 4
80kg x 3x10

Felt really nice and no issues with the knee either.

Front Squat

65kg x 3x10

Thank goodness it's the last day of doing 10's for a while.

Leg Press

55kg x 8
105kg x 8
155kg x f
125kg x f
105kg x 2x12

On a much different angled leg press than what I have been using and it clearly has a different impact. Not too fussed tbh that I had to lower the weight, it's just an accessory to stimulate the quads and it did exactly that. Little bit of knee clicking which is odd but otherwise the knee feels fine.

Good Morning

45kg x 3x12

Nice and straight forward.

Good session and legs feel worked pretty well. Time to eat, rest and get ready for medium bench tomorrow.

Associate
OP
31/08/16 - Wednesday - Bench Medium

Operation grow a chest was in full effect today.

Wide Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3x10 - huge rep/set pb

Felt really solid too, looks like things are going to plan so far. Bring on the strength phase.

Medium Grip Bench

62.5kg x 4x10

Nailed it. Is 70 reps at 75% in a single session too much?

Machine Row

48kg x 12
55kg x 3x12

These were hard but worth it.

And that's that done with. Had to leave out the other accessories as I'm rather busy this week so just doing what I can when i get the chance.

Associate
OP
02/09/16 - Friday - Heavy Squats and Heavy Bench

After a very long day, little food, and terrible nights sleeps, I was somewhat apprehensive about how the session was going to go.

Low Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6 (Probably should have done 50kg and will do so next time)
70kg x 4
80kg x 3
90kg x 2
97.5kg x 3x8

Whilst that is a little pb, some of the squats weren't too great because of the knee/ankle/hip. Usually I would increase the weight for the next cycle if I meet the highest reps and % for the last week but it just is not sensible to do so. Working on my mobility for now will be the best bet.

High Bar Paused Squat

85kg x 3x8

These were significantly easier.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 2
75kg x 4x8

This was a huge pb and I am very pleased with this. Weight for bench for the next cycle will be increased.

Spoto Bench Press

70kg x 3x8

Very happy with this too as it was +2.5kg from last week.

DB Rows

25kg x 4x12

There were no 26kg dumbbells and I was exhausted so using the 25's was just fine.

Decent session and rather exhausted. Time to rest and reap the gains.

Associate
OP
24 reps of paused squats? #animal

Indeed 24 paused reps, it felt good. One day I'll be doing it with worthwhile weight.

03/09/16 - Saturday - Light Deadlifts

Well training the night before certainly had an impact on this training session, it wasn't harder, just slower. If anything, the first work set in particular felt amazing.

Sumo Deadlift

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
115kg(S) x 3x12

Rather happy with that, felt solid with good positioning and form. It felt like the sets went on forever.

Stiff Leg Deadlift

107.5kg x 2x12

Also quite awesome.

And that's it. Doesn't look like a lot written down but it was a "light session".

Associate
OP
14/09/16 - Wednesday - Medium Bench

Over a week of absolutely nothing, terrible sleep and terrible nutrition, a long day at work and a few mars bars to get me by, it was obvious today was going to be iffy. Sure enough I was right so I dropped my numbers by 5% and just nailed what I could. I know it's just exhaustion and I'll be fine next week.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 6
50kg x 4
60kg x 3
70kg x 3
77.5kg x 3
82.5kg x 4 - Should have been 5 but never mind.
75kg x 3x5

Dropped it down and nailed it.

Medium Grip Bench

67.5kg x 3x5

Definitely harder than it should have been but I'm just tired so meh.

BOR

50kg x 10
70kg x 10 - I made all the reps but I knew I could perform the reps better at a lower weight so I dropped it down.
60kg x 2x10

Nice and easy, definite room to go up in weight next session.

Face Pull

22.5kg x 2x10

French Press

EZ + 15kg x 2x10

Turned out to be quite an easy session. Just need to rest, eat, do some mobility stuff and I'll be back to how I was feeling at the end of the last cycle - which was awesome.

Associate
OP
16/09/16 - Friday - Equipped everything

So today I had the opportunity to try on equipment and after trying it on I have developed an entirely new level of respect for equipped lifters. Until you try it, it is very easy to mock it because "the suit does all the work" - it absolutely doesn't. I am cut and bruised, exhausted, and my face is still a bit purple.

Started off with the bench and it is by far the hardest movement to perform in a shirt. So hard in fact that I couldn't even pull the bar onto the chest and when I first tried my normal grip, I couldn't even get the bar down to a 3 board press.

Equipped Bench

Warmed up as I normally would.

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 5
50kg x 4
60kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg x 1
90kg x 1

Put a bench shirt on

Board press

3 board x 90kg x 1 - not even close and instructed to bring in my grip
3 board x 100kg x 1
3 board x 100kg x 3
3 board x 120kg x 1
3 board x 120kg x 3
3 board x 120kg x 2, 2board x 120kg x 1
3 board x 120kg x 1, 2 board x 120kg x 2
2 board x 110kg x 1, 1 board x 110kg x 2
110kg x nope x nope x nope

My eyes almost popped out of my head, after various sets I couldn't see, blood pressure shot through the roof and I felt like I was going to be sick so I took the belt off and took the shirt off and moved onto squats.

Equipped Squat

Put the suit on but no straps.

Bar x some - flat shoes - depth was not happening but positioning was good
Bar x some - oly shoes - depth but awkward positioning
40kg x some - some were depth, some weren't but the suit was pulling me into odd positions i.e knees coming way too far forward
60kg x some - same as before
80kg x 2 - better
90kg x 1 - better
100kg x 2x1 - the more weight on the bar certainly helps. But trying to get to depth raises the blood pressure ridiculous and at this point I could feel the suit just cut my legs.
120kg(B) x 1 - Yay but damn my legs are now more cut and bruised.

Onto Deadlifts

Equipped Deadlifts

70kg x 5 with straps down but suit on
100kg x 2
120kg x hahaha, put the straps on and couldn't even reach the bar
120kg x many nope attempts purely just due to not being able to set up properly whether this was due to not being able to grab the bar or I would grab the bar and by that point the blood pressure was too high to pull.
120kg x 1
120kg x 2 - switched to sumo
130kg x 1
150kg(B) x 1 - barely

Really bizarre as I repped that out for 6 raw a few weeks ago but this is the first time in equipment and it's so incredibly different.

Lots of fun, don't really care about the numbers today as it was simply a learning experience and I will still be training as originally planned but will try some more equipped lifting when my heavy sessions are scheduled.

Associate
OP
18/09/16 - Sunday - Light Squats

So there was a change of plans with the training since having a full two weeks off has left me soft and squidgy so I'm running another (and final) hypertrophy block before switching to the strength block.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 4
77.5kg x 3x12

So far so good.

Leg Press

52kg x 2x12

Yet another type of leg press and yet another type leg press I'm terrible at. Some serious clunks on the first rep of each set...

Hamstring Curl/Laying Hamstring Curl

hamstring curl x ~32kg x some x some

Just couldn't get on with it so I swapped to the laying hamstring curl.

27kg x 10
32kg x 2x10

Really should have taken the knee sleeves off as they restricted my rom.

Quite happy with the first session back but my conditioning is terrible right now. At least I'm back on proper eating, rest and training.

Associate
OP
I've missed quite a few posts due to moving house and not having internet but it finally became activated :D

19/09/16 - Monday - Medium Bench

Absolutely horrific bench session, maybe I'm just tired from the previous session, maybe I've lost some weight, or maybe it's because I'm not used to a bench that assisted the unrack and someone put a free standing bench so close to the bench that I was using that I couldn't position my feet properly. Whatever it was, I didn't hit my minimal reps on the majority of the sets and I was very annoyed.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots (various grips)
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
65kg x 10
65kg x 8
65kg x 6

My position was just off and fatigue was kicking in so quickly, yet the weight didn't feel like the problem.

Spoto bench press

62.5kg x 2x6

Should have been 8's but days like this happen.

Cable Row

52kg x 4x8

Back still seems ok.

Dumbbell Front Raises

6kg x 8
4kg x 2x8

Kept it light just to go through the motion and because of the funky positioning on the bench didn't go down too well with my shoulders either. No pain though, just worth keeping an eye on for the session.

Dumbbell French Press

8kg x 3x8

Done and finished. Bench was rubbish, everything else was nice.

20/09/16 - Tuesday - Medium Deadlift

So after yesterday I was expecting my deadlifts to be terrible. I was pleasantly surprised but sure enough my fitness has tanked so it took a bit longer than I would have liked between sets.

Sumo Deadlift Block Pulls (~1.5" - 2")

70kg x 5 - floor
90kg x 3 - floor
110kg x 3 - floor
125kg(S) x 3x10 - blocks

Not bad at all and the speed was pretty decent too.

Deadlift

117.5kg(B) x 2x10

Harder than I would have liked but doing 30 reps of working weight deadlifts beforehand will do that.

Back Extension Machine

some weight x 3x8

21/09/16 - Wednesday - Heavy Bench

Taking the previous session into account I intentionally went for the lowest weight and the fewest reps written on the program so I could nail everything with good form and then progress next week.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
67.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 3x6

A little harder than I would have liked but good enough for today.

Slingshot Bench

82.5kg x 2x6

Nice and easy.

Dumbbell Flyes

10kg x 3x8

Dumbbell Rows

24kg x 4x8

Face Pulls

~17kg x 3x8

And that's that. Much better than the previous bench session so hopefully each session will keep improving. The next bench session will be nice and light in intensity but still have a fair amount of volume in. Squats tomorrow.

Associate
OP
22/09/16 - Thursday - Medium Squat

The session started off really well but then the front squats made the knee a bit grumpy but then good mornings were lovely and smooth. No pain though :D

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
80kg x 3
85kg x 3x10

I think that's a mini pb and for the most part it felt really good.

Front Squat

62.5kg x 2x8

Knee got grumpy with this but no pain so it's not the end of the world.

Good Mornings

40kg x 3x10

Super light. I'll push 45kg next session.

Associate
OP
24/09/16 - Saturday - Light Bench

Bench has taken quite a significant hit for some reason but it is feeling slightly better each session. Triceps are getting fatigued extremely quickly but hopefully that improves over the course of this extended cycle. Since it's a light day I used my worst variations to limit how much I can actually lift.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
55kg x 3x10

Last set was icky from about rep 6-7 but the reps were fine from a technical stand point.

Close Grip Bench Press

50kg x 2x10

Yay for tricep work. Fatigue seriously kicked in towards the end but I'm sure things will get better next week.

Lateral Raises

6kg x 3x8

Could have done more but there was slight clicking in the right shoulder so there really was no point in using heavier weight to aggravate anything.

Lat Pulldowns

45kg x 8
52kg x 2(or 3) x 8
45kg x 8

Tricep Pushdowns

21.6kg x 3x8

Each set got easier and easier so maybe next week I'll use more weight despite reps increasing.

My strength has seriously tanked for some reason but it does seem to be getting better already over the course of this week so hopefully that will carry on. Tomorrow should be heavy squats, but no low bar this time and just focusing on high bar!

Back
Top Bottom