Preparing to apply to the 1,000lb club

Associate
OP
25/09/16 - Sunday - Heavy Squats

So today was "heavy" squats and I was a little apprehensive because the knee had been a little iffy but after some warmup mobility stuff and lots of warm up sets things got better.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
80kg x 3
90kg x 3x8

5kg from last cycle but it tough towards the end of each set.

High Bar Paused Squat

82.5kg x 2x8

So much easier and paused too...

Good Mornings

45kg x 3x10

Nice and easy, going to try 50kg next time.

Really happy with that, time to rest, eat lots, rest some more and get ready for some bench tomorrow and then the heaviest deadlift session of the cycle the day after.

Associate
OP
26/09/16 - Monday - Medium Bench

Yet another rubbish bench session, yet it was still more total volume than last week so that's something...

Medium bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 3x10

Not bad but triceps are just fatiguing so badly towards the end.

Spoto Bench

62.5kg x 7
62.5kg x 2x8

Still convinced that it's the assist unrack on the bench and the height of the bench that is causing the inefficiency of the movement and as a result increasing fatigue. Might even try swapping the exercises around and do spoto first and then medium grip bench.

Front Raises

6kg x 3x10

yay for 2kg increase and rep increases.

Dumbbell French Press

8kg x 3x10

Going to up the weight next week.

Cable Rows

52kg x 4x10

pew pew.

Not a great session but to terrible session either. It's just frustrating how my bench has tanked after it was improving so well for a good while.

Associate
OP
29/09/16 - Thursday - Heavy Bench

I've had two consecutive days before this session with deadlifts and deadlifts and bench with playing around with equipment but not much was successful so I didn't bother logging it.

Today was my heavy bench session, and whilst I have done considerably better at the end of my last cycle, each week of this cycle is still improving so maybe at the end of this block I'll have some mini gains.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
67.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 3x8

Not bad at all, bench pressing is starting to feel better again.

Slingshot Bench

82.5kg x 2x8
82.5kg x 7

I hit the pins on rep 6 and that really threw me off and had to waste energy on adjusting.

Dumbbell Flyes

10kg x 3x10

DB Rows

24kg x 4x10

Could go heavier, might go heavier.

Face Pulls

32kg x 3x10

Not bad.

Good session overall despite the slingshot bench. Time to rest and hopefully get in some light squats and heavy deadlifts tomorrow.

Associate
OP
01/10/16 - Saturday - Light Squat, Light Bench

Only did the actual squats from the light squats session as I plan on squatting tomorrow. Bench has dramatically improved since last week. Still puny numbers but at least things are improving.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
77.5kg x 3x12

Nice and easy. Knee wasn't as happy as it was last time but no pain and it was still pretty comfortable. Trying to keep a better and more consistent tempo in the decent.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kgx 8
50kg x 6
55kg x 3x12

Much better than last week, could have pushed it but I'll push it next week instead.

Close Grip Bench

50kg x 3x12

Also miles better than last week.

Lat Raises

6kg x 3x10

Could handle more weight but I'll wait until my shoulder mobility improves so there's no clicks or little pinches.

Lat Pulldown

45kg x 4x10

Miles better than last week, will probably increase the weight next week.

Tricep Pushdowns

23.8kg x 3x10

Not bad.

Good session. More horrible session tomorrow...

Associate
OP
02/10/16 - Sunday - Medium Squat

Considering that I had squatted yesterday I was rather pleased with how things went. But knowing that I was going to squat on two consecutive days I reduced the workload dramatically on day one and then significantly increased it on day two.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
80kg x 3
85kg x 3x10 - A lot better than last time

Happy with that, still casually dying in between sets but at least each set felt good.

Front Squat

62.5kg x 3x8

Because the knee gave me aggro last week I didn't bother pushing the weight but instead added a set. I'll judge it by feel next week to decide if I increase by weight, reps or both.

Good Mornings

45kg x 3x12

Too easy. 50kg next time.

Hamstring Curls

32kg x 3x12

Much better than last time.

Leg press

52kg x 12
79kg x 3x12

Well that's a bit of an increase but not as much as it should be.

All in all it's been a good session.

Associate
OP
04/10/16 - Tuesday - Medium Bench

Things are finally improving! Bench felt pretty good today so fingers crossed things keep improving until the end of the cycle.

Medium Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
65kg x 3x8

It's still nothing amazing but in comparison as to how it felt at the beginning of the cycle it's a hell of an improvement. Now just to increase the weight...

Spoto Bench Press

62.5kg x 3x8

Considering I managed this for 70kg 3x8 at the end of the last cycle, it's about damn time I got this 3x8. I could have done 3x10 but it's all about the marginal gains and so far that's working out the best for me.

Front Raises

6kg x 3x12

Tiny weight but the movement is getting better so hopefully that means the shoulders are getting healthier/stronger

DB French Press

10kg x 3x12

By the end this was surprisingly difficult but it feels better on the shoulder and after the bench volume I'm not too fussed.

Cable Row

52kg x 4x12

More volume next week.

Rather happy with this session, I just need the gains to carry on for another week and a half before the deload.

Associate
OP
06/10/16 - Thursday - Heavy bench

This is the heaviest that I have benched in a good while. Still nothing impressive but still a step in the right direction.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
77.5kg x 4x6

Just a bit too inconsistent for my liking. Some reps were super easy, some just weren't. Hopefully there will be an improvement next week.

Slingshot Bench Press

90kg x 3x6

I've missed the slingshot. Fatigue hit me hard though.

Dumbbell Flyes

10kg x 3x12

Please pecs grow. Pls.

Dumbbell Row

24kg x 4x12

Feeling like I can handle more weight in the next block.

Face Pulls

19kg x 3x12

Getting much better with the external rotation

Pleased with that session, despite the iffy bench. Hopefully gains will be made.

Associate
OP
07/10/16 - Friday - Heavy Squats

I took advantage of the fact I was feeling good and managed a high bar pb.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 4
80kg x 3
90kg x 3
100kg(B) x 2
107.5kg(B) x 6

Rather happy with that and the knee felt good. Because the last rep was harder than I would have liked I kept it to the one 6rm pb today. I'm sure I could do more but it can wait until next time. This has however made next week of training hell since the volume has increased and so has the weight.

Paused High Bar Squat

90kg x 3x8

gainssssss. Last time this was my actual working weight so I'm taking this as a positive.

Good Mornings

50kg x 3x12

Nice and easy but the movement didn't feel as fluid a it did last time. Still felt good, hopefully door posterior chain gains have been made.

Associate
OP
Paused squats are for #heroes

Once I can do the kind of numbers that reiyushin can do then maybe I'll fall into that category but for now I don't even lift...

8/10/16 - Saturday - Light Bench

Bench just felt so much better today.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4x10

Not bad at all, actually quite surprised at how much better this felt.

Close Grip Bench Press

55kg x 3x12

Triceps started to fatigue towards the end but it still felt pretty good.

Lat Pull Downs

47kg x 4x12

Towards the end it was tricky.

Lateral raises

6kg x 3x12

Best this has felt yet. Maybe this is helping the joint rather than just helping develop the tiny muscles that I have.

Tricep pushdowns

23.75kg x 3x12

That's enough tricep work for today.

Good session. Nice way to end the week before starting what is going is going to be by far the worst week of the cycle...

Associate
OP
11/10/16 - Tuesday - Light Squats

Today is my birthday and what better way to celebrate than doing a lot of volume with squats. I managed everything today but I upped my training max mid cycle which probably wasn't the best idea when still coming back from a knee injury. Knee got a little bit angry but there's no pain or really anything worth worrying about, just enough to put some attention towards the knee.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 4
80kg x 2
82.5kg x 4x12

That was hideous but quads feel great. Going to leave the training max where it is as I run into the next cycle just to keep the movement smooth.

Leg press

50something x 8
86kg x 3x12

Really should be able to do way more than this but who cares.

Hamstring Curl

32kg x 3x15

That is enough for my legs today. Right quad it looking a bit bigger than the left so will look into adding in either/or both DBSS and weighted lunges.

Good session, knee is a tad grumpy but it doesn't seem like anything to worry about. Some form of benching will happen tomorrow - either a medium day orI'll throw on a bench shirt and attempt to learn how to use it.

Associate
OP
12/10/16 - Wednesday - Medium Bench

Started off with half of my session with classic training, put the shirt on, then went back to classic training. No luck with the shirt today but it turns out that the shirt was too small rather than too tight. I took it off and gave it to a friend who is a weight class below me and he had no issues with it at all. If anything, I may have got him into equipped lifting...

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
65kg x 4x10

Pew pew. Not bad at all.

Not going to bother mentioning the shirted stuff.

Normal Grip Spoto Press

Bar x lots
40kg x 5
50kg x 3
60kg x 2
67.5kg x 4x8

Much better than I was expecting.

Machine Rows

40kg x 4x15

And that's that session... not bad at all. Hopefully deadlifts tomorrow.

Associate
OP
13/10/16 - Thursday - "Heavy" Deadlifts

So this is the first time I've actually deadlifted in about 8 weeks. Sure enough, it was terrible. I can now get into a better position because of the knees getting better but it's also a position that I'm not used to, and my execution of the cues was off too. By the time I got around to doing the deficit deadlifts things got a bit better. I've knocked off a horrific amount off my max to ease back into deadlifting but I'm confident that it'll come back quick enough, so there's no need to panic just yet.

Deadlift

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
112.5kg(S) x 3x8

It's such tiny weight but this was a genuine challenge today.

Deficit Deadlift (~1")

102.5kg(S) x 2x8

Getting better.

Dropped the max down, as previously mentioned, so that when I go into the strength block without the straps I can start light, nail all the reps and then increase the weight accordingly once I've got a better feel for my deadlifting strength.

That's the session... didn't want to do any more. I should have mentioned that this was a fasted session and after being part of a hyperthermic exercise experiment too, so this somewhat justified the goodness awful performance today. On the upside, I have a food delivery coming, sleep and nutrition is going pretty well so hopefully there will be all kinds of gains for benching tomorrow.

Associate
OP
14/10/16 - Friday - Heavy Bench

Heavy bench was heavy. Forgot to readjust my slingshot numbers but never mind.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
77.5kg x 4x8

A little pb but my set up on the third set was horrific so ended up doing 5 reps, racking and then continuing with the last 3. Still counting it.

Sling Shot Bench Press

90kg x 3x6
90kg x 6 - spotter assisted the last one, genuinely don't know how much/if he helped.

Should have been 85kg but I was a potato and forgot to change the weight. Some sets felt amazing, other sets were far harder because I still can't get on with this assisted unrack bench.

Dumbbell flyes

10kg x 3x15

15's are horrible...

Dumbbell Rows

24kg x 4x15

15's are really horrible

And that's that... phew. All kinds of pump going on, and for the most part it felt great. It's just annoying that I still can't seem to get a constant setup/positioning on this bench. One more bench session to go before entering the strength block as I'm feeling pretty good and thinking of not bothering with the deload week.

Associate
OP
15/10/16 - Medium Squat

This was a very late session and was also after going out for dinner and having drinks. I felt fine but just made sure that my rest times were longer than what I would usually take. This made the session longer but I'd rather play it safe than be sorry.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 4
80kg x 3
90kg x 4x10

Huuugeeeee PB in my eyes considering that I managed 90 3x8 last week and managed to add another set and increased the reps annnnnddddd the reps felt better too. Gains?

Front Squats

62.5kg x 3x8

I was gassed after the high bar squats and didn't want to annoy the knee so I kept it light and I kept it simple.

Good Mornings

55kg x 3x15

Once the bracing was sorted these became very easy. Just need to take my time and be patient.

Really happy with that session. Time to watch the USAPL Nationals, get some protons in me and get to bed.

Associate
OP
Juicy squats!!

Things are starting to get better so hopefully things will get juicer.

16/10/16 - Sunday - Light Bench

In terms of the weight it was light, but lord the pump and fatigue is real.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4x12

Pew pew, chest and tricep pump

Close Grip Bench

55kg x 2x12
55kg x 11
55kg x 10

I was just too fatigued to get 4x12.

Lateral Raise

6kg x 3x15

Feeling better.

Lat Pulldown

45kg x 2x15
45kg x 12+3
45kg x 9+6

Tricep pushdowns

23.8kg x 3x15

Many pumps. Last session of this block! Straight into the strength block tomorrow!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
17/10/16 - Monday - Light Squat

So today was the start of my strength block and I'm pleased to say things felt good. I've gone back to low bar in flat shoes for my main squat variation so I had to find my stance, foot position etc. Turns out it's a little bit wider than I would have liked but it means I can get my knees out, keep myself more upright and not annoy the knee. For now, this is ideal.

Low Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
80kg x 3
90kg x 2
97.5kg x 4x6

Speed out of the hole was great but it wasn't "easy". On the third and fourth set when I adjusted my stance, setup and technique a little it then felt a lot better.

Front Squat

67.5kg x 3x6

So easy. Going to up the weight next week.

Good Morning

60kg x 3x10

Awww yeah, I had the big boy plates on.

Good session. Looking forward to what the rest of this cycle holds.

Back
Top Bottom