Prison Architect

Soldato
Yup, I'm well into my 3rd prison now, with a value of over 2.2mill, a current capacity for 368 inmates and the buildings built to take that over 500, its got 12 workshops generating 100,000 from license plates daily and best of all the prisoners are all pretty happy so its basically running itself. :)

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Well i took the plunge and bought it! Only done the start tutorial so far but will have a go again tonight and weekend!

Any tips would be handy!

Last edited:
Associate
Any tips would be handy!

Treat your first 3 or 4 prisons as complete learning experiences :)

Use the planning tool before you start building.

After planning your buildings, run the utilities before starting the build, as that saves time.

A power generator can have 16 capacitors around it to add power - after that you need a separate generator on its own circuit and the circuits/capacitors must not touch, as they short out
If your generator goes off and you can't get it back on, check the capacitors, as they each have to be on before you switch the generator on.

Pause the game and flag all incoming prisoners for a search - I've had drills, bats, even guns found on new inmates!

Fences are free (not outer walls - they're expensive) - make sure you have a secure compound before your first prisoners arrive, else they will keep trying to leg it.

I've always gone for an 'airlock' style entrance, using fencing - that way, you can assign a guard to the room between the gates and he will open the doors for workers/visitors etc.

Funding - you start with $10,000 but if you click report (bottom right) then Grants, you can grab another $80,000 - a much more reasonable starting budget.

Solitary cells don't need to be 3x2... I use a single square with no furniture.. that'll learn 'em :)

Forgot the most important one... it's an Alpha and crashes frequently (I find it gets worse the bigger your prison is) so save, a lot!

Last edited:
Soldato
I purchased this a few weeks back but haven't had much of a chance to play it.

The attempts I did make were terrible with guards and prisoners all fighting and most of them ending up dead!!! lol

Those are some useful tips, I shall bare them in mind when I next have a chance to play it.

Permabanned
Yup, I'm well into my 3rd prison now, with a value of over 2.2mill, a current capacity for 368 inmates and the buildings built to take that over 500, its got 12 workshops generating 100,000 from license plates daily and best of all the prisoners are all pretty happy so its basically running itself. :)

Sounds like a dream, my prisons end up in a mess... generally as the workers are still building my exotic plans as the prisoners arrive, so I end up having coppers chase them all over the map :D

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Gah, no matter what i do i always fowl up and can't seem to get a stedy flow going and get the first 8 prisoners in but then can't handle the 2nd flow

Soldato
I've come across 3 main bugs so far (I've had the game a few days now):

1. Contraband isn't found on prisoners anymore. The alarm goes off but the guards never find anything.
2. A few (real life) hours into my prison, my prisoners stop following the routine and just stay in their cells. They can also get stuck in doors when this problem occurs, doesn't happen otherwise.
3. Workmen decide to just wander around the storage area instead of working.

The third one doesn't happen as often as the second and first.
I know they're game breaking bugs, but I can't give up the game as it's too addictive for me atm :p

Anyone else experiencing these bugs?

Associate
I've come across 3 main bugs so far (I've had the game a few days now):

1. Contraband isn't found on prisoners anymore. The alarm goes off but the guards never find anything.
2. A few (real life) hours into my prison, my prisoners stop following the routine and just stay in their cells. They can also get stuck in doors when this problem occurs, doesn't happen otherwise.
3. Workmen decide to just wander around the storage area instead of working.

The third one doesn't happen as often as the second and first.
I know they're game breaking bugs, but I can't give up the game as it's too addictive for me atm :p

Anyone else experiencing these bugs?

I think they're path finding errors, they had similar when they did the last patch and then they released a hotfix. I haven't played this new patch yet so not sure if its an identical bug or not. Re contraband I think sometimes they hide it so it appears they dont have any?

Soldato
I think they're path finding errors, they had similar when they did the last patch and then they released a hotfix. I haven't played this new patch yet so not sure if its an identical bug or not. Re contraband I think sometimes they hide it so it appears they dont have any?

In reply to what you said about contraband, it's as if it's not even being generated. Including all my prisons is about 40 days in game and I haven't come across a single bit of contraband, so I'm assuming it's a bug?

Soldato
I've not had that - I do sometimes see the metal detectors go off, the culprit is searched but they find nothing.

Have you done the Contraband Research?
Bureaucracy button, off Security.

No, I thought contraband research just helped to find it more often and it lets you track it to where it came from? I'm not getting any contraband at all.

I found this earlier, seems like I'm not the only one:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/233450/discussions/0/666827315848486986/

Back
Top Bottom