1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prisoners to be called 'men' and cells 'rooms' under new guidelines.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsmoke, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

You quoted a criminal about prisons in the UK and then criticize the effectiveness of the prison system in a country with one of the lowest re-offending rates.

I considered and dismissed it. Given the thought behind the changes, i think it is well worth a go.

2. Dis86

Capodecina

3. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Still seem to have a better criminal jsutice system than ours, we could learn a few things!

4. Dis86

Capodecina

See my edit above. Maybe they could learn a thing or two from us?

5. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Yes, published national data varies by definition of reoffending rates. Depends how many years after you count, if we count 1 year but they count 5 the data would be off.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4472929/

Could learn a thing or two indeed :p

Edit: your data seems to disagree with mine. As much as id fancy playing data handbag pinball, i will stand by my point despite what your criminal quotes :p

6. StriderX

Capodecina

Give people a future better than the one they lead and we'll all be better off.

Some people are irreparable, but still.

7. Dis86

Capodecina

Ah ah! Not criminal. Former criminal. Now reformed as a result of our justice system!

8. aardvark

Sgarrista

9. Chris Wilson

Mobster

If the fear of the consequences is great enough people do not do the risky act. Nick some fags from the old lady in the corner shop whilst her back's turned? No worry! Get that crate of fags someone has thrown into the tiger enclosure at Chester Zoo. You kidding me?

Burgle the deaf old chap who is alleged to have cash under the stair carpet? Hell, let's go lads. Burgle the drug dealer who is alleged to have bumped several rivals off and is tooled up 24 hours a day but has thousands in cash stacked away? Err, think we'll give that a swerve...

An old friend of mine went to teach in Greece. Within two weeks he had a visit from the local cops. Seems he'd come up on the radar for having a violent record in his youth in the UK. Was told don't even think of starting any funny business in Greece, if you go to prison you are less than an animal, fall ill inside and you probably come out in a box. Do something bad to a Greek woman or child? Almost certainly you also come out in a box. He had no intention of any of these things, he was in his forties, a rugby referee and now a pillar of the local community over here, but he swallowed hard and it gave him food for thought. His wife commented later that she felt 100% safe walking alone late at night in a less than swanky area of Greece. This was in the late eighties, pre the invasion of course...

10. Nasher

Sgarrista

Already seems better than most student accommodation.

Prison is looking more and more like a comfortable retirement home if my pension ends up being ****. Free living, free food, TV, gym, priority medical care, let out for the weekend if your good...

11. StriderX

Capodecina

Is Greece really a great example of a country that is successful because of those harsh rules, i imagine the answer is no. If you have money, you just pay the officers to get lost, much like Russian officers, it's not a game of justice.

12. 200sols

Wise Guy

You know an argument is flawed when Greece is your example of success.

13. Dis86

Capodecina

I'd never thought of it that way!

14. mmj_uk

Capodecina

I've been saying for ages, the government won't pay anything to look after the homeless but if they go murder/rape someone or rob a bank it will spend £30k a year or so treating them with empathy and human rights in prison. Society is backwards.

15. Nasher

Sgarrista

The EU sets strict rules for how prisoners should be treated with "human rights". But gloss over homeless people.

The UK had to defy them even to stop prisoners from voting.

16. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Just claim you’re trans as you get sentenced and they’ll put you in a women’s prison so you’ll get free sex as well!

17. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

I dont think it works that way and besides, you'll get free sex no matter which prison you get sent to :)

18. Nasher

Sgarrista

Well it already happened lol

19. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

The procedure now is that you get put somewhere you are least danger to inmates and yourself. Prior to this it was just according to your legally recognized gender but obviously that doesn't work.

20. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Yes but his mate's wife felt safe, surely that's worth more than actual evidence?