Private plate?

Soldato
Thinking of getting a vanity plate of fail

Just checking its as easy as:
1. Buy plate fomr DVLA
2. Borrow someones motor and drive to DVLA office to gets docs / tax disk sorted.
3. Inform insurance company
4. Get some plates made and fit to car
5. Drive like a plank

Soldato
1) Buy plate from dvla
2) await paperwork and take to local office when you get it
3) get paperwork and get plates made up
4) swap tax disc and plates over so they match
5) sort insurances
6) send old tax disc back to dvla office
7) get called a tart by friends and work colleagues.

Soldato
thnaks SoliD, do you have to rebuy tax?

No they transfer the tax over in the dvla office so you have two tax discs that run out at the same time. Then swap over when you get the plates on and send back the old tax disc. If you dont then I think you get charged.

Man of Honour
I went to the dvla office and they swapped over the tax then and there, no need to send anything back. The whole process from ordering to being legally fitted was less than 2 working days.

Soldato
OP
ok, just a shame there are no DVLA offices near me :(

Do you have to do it in person?, seems a pita to have a day off just to sort this out, don't mind car being off the road for a few days.

Edit: looks like it can be done by post :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I had my plates changed about a month ago.
Initially I'd planned on doing it in person - we were in Ipswich one weekend so decided to call in.
Got to the office "Sorry, electrical failure, office closed" Grrrr

In the end decided to do it via the post.
The whole process took less than a week.
Sent in all the documentation on the Monday and on the Saturday morning I had the letter telling me I could fit the new plates.
I'd already got the plates made up (the document you get from the DVLA when you buy the plate is enough to get your plates made).

Fitted the plates on the Saturday morning and called my insurance company.
They changed the plate details for free.
On the Monday I sent back my old (old reg) tax disk.

If your car has any kind of manufacturers warranty and/or recovery don't forget to give them the new plate details too.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Suppose it was only £14 so nothing worth fussing over the phone with :p I just hope that end of Nov my premium is slashed considerably due to the discounts due this year :D My old man paid £40 for his number plat transfer with his insurer last week and he's with Kwik Fit!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
When I phoned up to enquire about the number plate change I asked about renewal and was told because my 25th bday is so close after renewal the system would automatically apply this (on top of the NCB).

The only thing I’d need to do manually is phone them on the Bday to enable my policy to allow me to drive other cars as that is not possible until you’re 25 with Elephant.

Man of Honour
They were fobbing you off. There is no magic discount. Yes, your policy takes into account that you'll get older during the policy. So does every policy because guess what everyone gets a year older during a 1 year policy.

Associate
[TW]Fox;12732529 said:
They were fobbing you off. There is no magic discount. Yes, your policy takes into account that you'll get older during the policy. So does every policy because guess what everyone gets a year older during a 1 year policy.

Really? I had my 25 birthday earlier this year and ran multiple quotes for high group cars through on various comparison websites the week before and after my birthday. The difference in the quotes was consistently substantial.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Actually yep you’re right, spoke to a non Indian sounding person just now and she confirmed the renewal policy accounts for anyone turning 25 in that policy term so the discounts you get for that term would be for the extra 1yrs NCB and the age & experience discount for turning 25 in that term.

This year my premium was £1033 though I did pay monthly for most of this then later went to pay it off in full (might remember a post about how much was saved in doing this!)

She was unable to give me a premium figure though as it’s a few days too early and has not generated :-/

Will have to wait until they send out the paperwork next week!

So yes, I blame the confusion on the fact that the first lady I spoke to the other day wasn't clear in her explanation or method of speaking!

</OT!>

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That was the cheapest quote, NUD wanted £1200 to renew last year!

I think it was mainly because at the beginning of last year when I got the 4 door I had to make a claim on it within the first week because someone hit it and drove off so got 2 new doors + bumper and respray via the insurance.

A few months before that I had the Civic which someone scraped whilst parked at night and I did report this though never made a claim (got the saloon few weeks later in part ex). I’m wishing I never reported that really as non fault reports however small do still affect premium I found out recently.

So yeah, they didn’t help much considering my post code is in group B which is low risk and car is group 13.

Should be a fair chunk cheaper this year though :D

Man of Honour
A few months before that I had the Civic which someone scraped whilst parked at night and I did report this though never made a claim (got the saloon few weeks later in part ex). I’m wishing I never reported that really as non fault reports however small do still affect premium I found out recently.

WTF? If you didn't make a claim it won't affect the price of your policy. It can't. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom