Pro Cycling Discussion 2018

Soldato
Well lets kick this off again!

TDU has started, have to admit I've only watched the first stage highlights so far but will be catching up over the weekend. :cool:

Anyone else want to flesh out team details/info and I'll dump it/link it here.

Similar to what xdcx and Jonny did for 2017.

Soldato
OP
Good start but missing a few... No GT's in there! ;)

Have to say I'm loving the look of the Movistar colours this year even though I don't rate them as a team.

I'll always be a British rider & team follower but have to admit if Bora don't turn some good results (not just from Sagan) this year I'll be disappointed. I was last year!

Soldato
OP
Not really as he's not racing...

When he does, without any decisions being made then there really will be a cloud. I'd like to think he wouldn't as he's quite a genuine guy and I don't think he'd want to put others, or himself through fiasco's like Nibali, Contador and all the others who had titles retrospectively stripped from them as they continued riding when being investigated after failed tests. Equally not many people really understand him and what drives him, so I would fully expect him to have made a race schedule and stick to it regardless of what decisions are being deliberated over. He's incredibly strong willed and I think if he had any doubts about what went on we'd have known about them by now. I think Sky should officially 'remove him from competition' until a decision is made, but not without a definitive date, or ruining any chances of the double.

Without much further info, all we have are the 'smokescreens' from Sky (dehydration & current 'kidney failure' one). The UCI seem to have firmly left it up to Sky to prove or come up with excuses, but it's hard to tell which way it'll go as I genuinely think they don't know what happened. If they did we'd have seen more excuses or reasoning why to deflect from Chris.

Soldato
OP
His attitude has been very bullish the announcement of his giro entry and his tone in statements I guess everyonecwill differ in there opinion. I stil hope he proves his innocence I think him being banned would be a massive blow to the sport.
Bullish? He's said he'll work with them to understand where it came from. Let's not forget - he didn't use a 'banned' substance, or even a substance which usually requires a TUE, just if over a certain level. It's a substance he'll be using consistently when training and racing for many years. As are many others. The fact he had an 'adverse' result from a test, is down to the medical teams and testers to investigate as I very much doubt his dosing really changes from stage to stage & race to race.

Soldato
OP
Something went badly wrong given that he didn't test over the limit on any other day of the vuelta and on that day he managed to not just exceed the limit but blow it out of the water. I simply hoped he would be more conciliatory it just feels like the same old same old, cyclists fails drugs test protests innocence as long as possible and eventually sucks up the ban. Still enough talk of Mr Froome hopefully he will manage to put this behind him with a satisfactory medical explanation I fear a white washing as the Cycling world really don't want another cheating champ.
Something certainly went wrong but I'm also sure of Froome not knowingly 'breaking the rules' after some of the comments he made around Jiffygate. I recall statements he had to retract/apologise from fear of tarnishing Skys reputation even further?!

Froome being Froome, he was separated from much of the ingrained 'bad' dealings around cycling of the 90's and 00's. He was geographically separated and professionally separated from the teams, riders, coaches and doctors which dominated much of the doping stories. I wouldn't say he was ignorant to it, but he was certainly an 'outsider' to it and the things which went on. I recall a mention in one of his books (The Climb?) where he recounts a story of speaking to one of his Barloworld teammates where he commented "that guy's quick, who's he?" when seeing Nibali and his teammates being flabbergasted. So much of the cycling culture, training methods and coaching was foreign to him! :D

There’s a theory that he is back on twitter doing some Big mileage to try and simulate a Vuelta level of fatigue to prompt a similar reading
No theory, the data is up on Strava on a verified account he's used before. 2300+ miles so far this year! :o

I'm fairly sure it's a PR exercise, possibly initiated by him as he's always been fairly open about his training, routes and riding. He's very active on Twitter. I think it's Sky that have generally kept things very secretive. Even Pete Kennaugh is back posting up rides now, he did loads before joining Sky, then none when riding for them.

I guess if he hasn't taken it via a banned or TUE method, then he has reason to be confident as puffing an inhaler in that sort of quantity is ridiculous, all he needs to do is find out how it happened.
Unless they can prove it I'm betting we'll find out they used a nebuliser or some other way to administer it, as they've discounted the tablet idea I was originally sure of and are trying to hide/cover over it (as the doctor who administered it wasn't aware of the TUE requirement or something).

Soldato
OP
Part of me wants him to serve a suspension rather than a ban after Sky admitting their doctor got it wrong with Sky being fined, yet only if something proving Froome himself wasn't involved in the decision and was 'operating under doctors orders'. A way to show that Sky are not exempt from the UCI/WADA rulings, yet Froome not lose too much face, not lose his results (lets not forget he was tested the rest of the race with no anomalies). I just want an answer & some honesty!

But agreed, enough about it in here. At least until we have some developments! ;)

I missed most of the Tour down Under (except highlights) as the only channel showing it (Freesports) had quite an irregular schedule they didn't stick to, so the only stage I watched completely was stage 5. Thomas De Gendt the machine! Amazing ride (as always) by one of my favourites. The break forming pretty much from the gun, after a few miles a young Movistar rider was busting a gut trying to bridge up to them and struggling. TDG dropped back, towing him up to the breakaway so Movistar where represented. All this while the break is still trying to get away from the peloton! Incredible power! He then did the lions share of the work, the break away down to 2 at the end before being gathered in the last 10k before Willunga hill.

Porte did his thing, nobody able to match him to take a great win. His second kick/acceleration was great to watch but considering nobody could even stick with his first... Class of his own on that hill! He commented 'that was the hardest one so far'. His time up there was probably one of the fastest times he's done it, but nobody was racing/catching him so not sure how that's classed as 'hard'! Especially as BMC didn't do any work all day. ;)

Sagan is looking strong but I'm still disappointed with Bora, they had a really strong team yet couldn't get Jay McCarthy into real contention.

Big things from Gaviria this year. I just hope that QS don't ride for Viviani all the time and give him a chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Eurosport coverage so-so. I’d like start to finish without ad breaks, the race isn’t that long!
Is it on their app? I've generally not seen breaks when streaming from their app before but I've not used it for a few months as there's been no cycling on there.

Great weekend of CX action across all the races. Yesterdays events looked like carnage with the mud as it was. Running for probably 50% of the lap. Unfortunately not as close as it could have been but deserving champs all the way through the categories.
Have to admit I've not watched any CX for about 2 seasons so may revisit it once I'm caught up with the 6Nations. How did Evie Richards get on? Local-ish rider to me and rides much of the CX around here I should probably be getting into.

So either Froome is really convinced he is going to get away without a ban or he is being silly competing ,earns the ban can’t be back dated so no hope of the tour if he is found guilty this year!
I'm fairly convinced Froome doesn't know, I don't even think Sky can be sure about whats going to happen, but there's little point sitting and waiting for the UCI to make a decision. If any rider did then they'd lose most of a season. Let's be honest, all of the naysayers want the decision to be a stripping of his Vuelta title. I'd be very surprised if he's not really gearing up and will do the double again, it's been obvious the last 2-3 years he's the best rider this generation. Contador came close but don't forget he's a convicted doper. No suspicion.

Soldato
OP
I don't see how he avoids a suspension everyone else who's failed this test has been banned and his reading is off the scale, If I were him I'd have taken a voluntary ban given up the Vuelta title and come back fighting this year as it is when he inevitably gets banned he will still loose the Vuelta but also all his results since and then his ban will start meaning he will probably miss the tour this year.

He hasn't avoided a suspension and he can't exactly choose the punishment! With it being an AAF I don't think it carries a ban and is totally down to the UCI/WADA to decide on the punishment. Who else has had an AAF from that test? I'm not aware of anyone recently. Banned substances and riding without a TUE for a substance which requires one is closest we've seen before. I don't think there are many allowed substances which require a TUE over a certain level that riders are regularly taking without usually getting the TUE 'just in case' anyway? I'm guessing that's why Sky where given the opportunity to submit data to quantify where the AAF came from.

Woohoo!

Soldato
OP
If he had voluntarily withdrawn himself from competition his ban would almost certainly have been back dated to that point (plenty of examples of this) by continuing to compete his inevitable ban will start from the point the judgement comes down.
Agree with most of your points, except for the use of 'inevitable'. The fact so much time has passed (and we're already in the next season of racing) makes me think it's even more inevitable they're not going to ban him... Then again this is the UCI we're talking about, they hardly ever do anything as we'd expect! :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Van aert rode really well to be in the final group. He's going to be a joy to watch with a winter full of racing legs.
He's been incredible, when you think coming from 1-2 hour cross races to a 4-5 hour 'classic'. Not surprised to see him in the front groups, even in Omloop, but very surprised to see him there towards the sharp end of the race at Strade!

Great race. Looked pretty minging conditions. Have you seen van aert having to remount his bike on the final climb into siena? He was completely shot!
Yeah cramp in both legs on a 16% gradient! OUCH!

http://road.cc/content/news/238117-...wout-van-aert-grinds-halt-through-cramp-final

The fall looked quite innocuous from the original footage I saw, but seeing the footage from the other side you can tell it's cramp, he's stopped and got a foot down but the leg cramps up meaning he falls, brutal! Although the slip/failed remount looked to hurt more! Kudos to him for being able to finish, just a shame he wasn't with Bardet to see a sprint for 2nd on the TV coverage! Annoying they missed the fall, not even commenting that Van Aert wasn't with Bardet! :(

Bardet's ride is on Strava.

Soldato
OP
His jump over the roundabout up the inside of everyone was beautiful, that was a proper angry get back on.
Yup, loved that bit! Incredible riding from Sagan with that finish too! He's getting back more of his flair and impulsive riding (which we love him for), rather than being just 'a sprinter'.

G who seems to be the most unlucky rider going.
Naah, that's currently Cav! :o

Luckily Cav looks like he’s ok. Kwiato was sitting too far back when the breaks were going on the Poggio, he should have been up the front.
Yup, not sure what Sky where doing? They'd bossed most of the other climbs, yet were nowhere to be seen on the most important of them all?!

Perfectly timed attack and those behind just looking around. Everyone knows nibali is a demon descender so not sure why they didn't aim to shut it down sooner.
Yup, they all just seemed to let him go, like he was someone else's domestique not one of the fastest descenders in pro cycling!

Fair play to Marcus Burghardt stretching his legs, he's been really strong this spring. He posts loads on Strava and is a good follow anyone interested (lots of pictures and mostly -bad- english ride titles). Although his time up the Poggio (7min) is still almost minute slower than Nibali's (6 min 05)! Kwait put in 6 min 16s so he wasn't far behind if he'd been further up at the base of the climb... Still 29s off his time up there last year (he has the KOM still), doh!

Hopefully cav will be back soon. I let out a yell when he went down it was absolutely brutal. How he has no further injuries or breaks I've no idea. His shoe was still on the barrier when it showed the replay. Bike looked trashed!
Yeah rubbish luck, think he was following a EF-Drapac riders wheel and just hadn't got quick enough reactions, think you can see the EF-D rider look over his shoulder in the footage? Still stupid to be switching 'lanes'/side of the road at that point & jumping over kerbs/broken road/debris. Numpty! He's damn lucky to only escape with the injuries he did.

Viviani was a bit upset!
Proper cry baby! He's a real sore loser, ain't he!? Always banging his bars! To be fair he's long overdue a win, can understand his fustration as he had the legs, speed and power. Was just boxed in. Played it bad tactically as Quickstep had the riders there to finish it better. Stybar, Gilbert & Lampaert there at least! :rolleyes:

I've never rated Viviani on the road, but respect him on the track. Was prepared to eat my words after he won Dubai! Hope he's second to Gaviria when it comes to sprinter selection at QS.

Just hope QS don't screw up their spring campaign any more by backing him. They need to ride for Stybar, Keisse, Terpstra & Gilbert! Real men! :cool:

Soldato
OP
Drew a blank finding any E3 footage last night, recall having the same problem last year? It's not shown on Eurosport so is missing from their app.

If you've seen it, where did you watch it?

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, interesting. Doesn't explain why it's not on the Eurosport player app! Ffs :(
Found it on there last night, not sure how I missed it before! Fantastic race!

There's usually several streams Chris, I did have a couple of T-A stages which there didn't seem to be a steam with commentary.

Soldato
OP
Sep Van Marcke needs to find a way to win!
The more and more hype Eurosport commentators (Carlton Kirby?) seem to give SVM the worst luck he seems to have. Maybe I missed something but he's won nothing of importance for a couple of years has he? Always getting bested by Cancellara, Boonen, Sagan & GVA.

I don't understand the hype myself - riders like Stybar, Terpstra, Trentin & GVA have won far more than him, yet don't seem to attract the same coverage and following.

Terpstra in some fine form, glad he finally has his Flanders victory as he's come close so many times before! Fantastic to see Lampaert take Dwars door too after the supreme riding in E3. Who do we think for Paris-Roubaix? I think GVA as he's looked strong and hungry for a result this spring! Him and Kwait duelling it out with Sagan after QSF (finally) have a bad day! (unlikely) :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Superb win by Sagan and an amazing performance from Dillier. Who would have thought Geraint Thomas would have to pull out because he fell off his bike in a crash
Haha someone said he fell on the second set of cobbles? Didn't see any coverage on TV but have only watched the first 3.5 hours...

Great win by Sagan. There was only going to be one outcome when he got away as didn't look like any of the main riders could follow.

Michael Goolaerts (Wellens Crelan) died last night :(
Saw the news this morning. Really sad to hear but very glad nothing was picked up by the live TV
Horrible to hear, especially as he was young and had a really promising career ahead of him. I do recall some footage on TV of a Wellens rider lay on his back on the left hand side upside down on a bank of mud. Looked totally innocuous as there was no footage of any crash. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Haha! Track riders! :rolleyes:

To be fair the only Sky rider I recall seeing in the first 3 hours of footage was Knees with a short spell pushing the pace. With no Sky train behind him to speak of!

Soldato
OP
Amazing resolve, fair play to him! Kudos!

Love the video, him actually having to jump up on the tow truck and retrieve his own spare wheel from inside the team car! :D

What's next? Amstel then Liege-Bastogne-Liege?

Back
Top Bottom