Pro Cycling Discussion 2019

Soldato
OP
So caught up with all the classics now I'm back, TdY was quite fun especially with the horrendous weather! Good last day with the terrain keeping a big enough group to allow attacks of substance.

Giro starts on Saturday! Just trying to work out who is in the battle to win it, looks like 3 or 4 main guys, Dumoulin, Yates, Nibali, Roglic, any one else, I've seen Bernal has broken his collarbone so won't be able to contest for his first GT. Always a good race to watch especially with the early in the year Alps weather!

Soldato
So caught up with all the classics now I'm back, TdY was quite fun especially with the horrendous weather! Good last day with the terrain keeping a big enough group to allow attacks of substance.

Giro starts on Saturday! Just trying to work out who is in the battle to win it, looks like 3 or 4 main guys, Dumoulin, Yates, Nibali, Roglic, any one else, I've seen Bernal has broken his collarbone so won't be able to contest for his first GT. Always a good race to watch especially with the early in the year Alps weather!

Landa, Super-man Lopez (who has an awesome Astana team), Jungels, Zakarin.

Soldato
Dumoulin saying he's below levels he was the past 2 years.
But Roglic also said he was at Romandie to simply try out the legs.

Could be standard bluffing (and hope it is!). I'm team Roglic for this Giro :) But on the side hoping Yates can ride the GT of his life and hold what we know he can the full 3 weeks.

Landa will be nowhere. Lopez is a super shout also but we all hate Astana so screw em.

Soldato
Young lad who i used to ride with just came 4th in the Melbourne to Warrnambool!!! 260km Aussie classic, second oldest race in the world after Leige!

He must be an U19 still as he was finishing boarding at school & used to show up before school to ride & even then was hammering it with the best guys.

Wow, he’s just backed up and won the second biggest race, against pretty much the same field, The Grafton to Inverell.

He’s gotta get picked up by a Euro team with results like that in a year or two now! He’s riding for a small Australian domestic team at the minute.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely stunning time from Roglic in the TT yesterday. Great rides from Yates and nibali to beat dumoulin. Going to be a good race with the huge back loading of the stages. Will definitely be a race of attrition!

Caporegime
Oh no! I tuned into Tour of California last night and only just found out that Paul Sherwen had died! This is the first race of the year that I make an effort to watch and they played a clip of Phil Liggett talking about him. :(

Soldato
OP
Sort of harsh on Viviani to lose that stage but can see why. Roglic/Jumbo Visma look like their struggling a bit in the pack, probably can't wait to get the sprints out of the way and some safety.

Soldato
OP
Absolute carnage on today's stage. Bad timings for the crashes for a number of riders. Roglic seemed to have got his head around being the leader sorted quickly. Was in the right place today and avoided everything. He's got to be happy Dumoulin is out.

Good attack from carapaz, I did think ewan was going to come back but line came just too soon.

Soldato
FFS Paul. SPOILER ALERT please! :p

I've only caught part of stage 1 so will really struggle to catch up as think that's dropped off Eurosport catchup already. Gah.

Soldato
I've only caught part of stage 1 so will really struggle to catch up as think that's dropped off Eurosport catchup already. Gah.

Eurosport post 10-minute highlights videos of each stage on youtube. Obviously, it's edited heavily to fit it all into that timeframe and is a bit hard to follow as it cuts quickly between frames. Worth watching if you have no other option though and you see all the main points of the stage.

Soldato
OP
It was over 2 days after things happened. Not my fault you're so behind!

10 mins of highlights on eurosport is probably better than their woeful attempt every evening.

Associate
What have they done to my beloved Giro? Two weeks of sprint stages? First mountain stage on day 14? What a joke.

Soldato
What have they done to my beloved Giro? Two weeks of sprint stages? First mountain stage on day 14? What a joke.

This is literally the worst GT I've ever watched. Might as well have made it a one week race and gotten on with it. Two weeks of crap flat stages with dangerous finishes making it a lottery if you get round in one piece before things get interesting.

Back
Top Bottom