Pro Cycling Thread 2023

No, it would be naive to think they were the only two, I’m sure there are a lot more but who knows who has access to what. I would be more than happy to be wrong but some of the performances have been outrageous and am not sure at all believable, even the press have been questioning it in the post race interviews
This frustrates me as Pog has been bordering on the unreal ever since his TDF win. I don't remember the same level of questioning when he was ripping it apart in 2021 or when he's winning one day classics and then following it up weeks later with week stage race wins.

Because it want talked about here doesn’t mean it wasn’t been spoken about elsewhere. He’s been on the radar of loads of people, like when he was smashing it in past tours day after day pretty much isolated from the rest of his team and despite that, you never see him have a bad day apart from the climb one year when he was dropped by JV but he just paced himself back on. Or when he rode the field off his wheel in Strade Bianche 55kms out etc.

I think what has really triggered people this time is you know Pog performances stand out and are a level above pretty much everyone else and when someone smashes Pog then it smells bad. On top of that as I mentioned earlier about the smashing of a 26 year old climbing record set during the EPO era by Pantani and they would have battered that record had they not messed about. JV is now nearly 11mins ahead of third, even the past few tours haven’t had such a big time gap which makes this stand out more and it’s not even finished yet. In fact I think this tour is the first time I’ve seen Pog properly crack, probably due to a lack of racing due to being injured with his btoken wrist
I mean in the media, there has been very few questions posed to him about how he can do it all week in week out.

MVDP could make history and become the first male rider to hold CX, Road and MTB world titles next week. Don't think Evenepoel has come close to MVDPs season. Won Tour of Flanders and was going alright at the Giro and thats about it on the top level. MVDP has won World CX and Roads gold, Milan San Remo and Paris Roubaix.

@Junglist taht pursuit was ridiciulous, hopefully BIgham can turn it around at the Olympics next year, coming so close to Ganna is a huge step forward for him!

Surprised Rodriguez hasn't been announced yet considering he was one of the first to be talked about leaving until his performance at the tdf. and with the exception of Tao although he only really came good this year after 2 years of mediocrity I'd say most of the riders have been a bit disappointing. Sivakov brought in to win gc or be that last mountain domestique and barely done it, same with martinez apart from last year's giro, tullett not really seen much of him, but as a smaller rider be interesting to see what he does. Think they're big time interested in remco or Pog if they can buy out either contract and no doubt trying to budget accordingly for that and the support they will require.

Last edited:
If that was the case, why do all other stages finish so early in comparison?
Because it's safer to run a short tt in a city centre apparently at that time of night. Not accounting for the fact it may not have horrific weather and therefore no light. Ie stupidity. Not the first time a vuelta tt has had an evening Stert and ran out of light because the weather was less than ideal.

Jonas likes hills doesn't he.

How are TJV so strong?!
I can't help but be highly suspicious of anything they're doing. No team has been this dominant unless under the influence of some sort of PED. it may be that what they have found is not currently illegal but give it a few years and it'll be banned.

Possibly makes sense! Ineos had a big roster after all, so they are short a few but still got quite a few on their books.

Big news is Cav is going for that one again!

Both great races in their own right, Pfeiffer Georgi had a great ride, shame about her team mate crashing into her which left her fighting for position, mens was interesting for the 100-200km mark then was just Alpecin marking every move and the frustration of watching teams attacking and failing to make any time up. Great win for MVDP though, thought it'd be harder than it was for him, but with Roubaix mechanicals at the wrong time just killed many of the groups early on.

Back
Top Bottom