Pro Cycling Thread 2023

Not surprising, that was some pace put on by uae, should calm things down a bit in the coming days as the top group is so thin already! Great ride by narcaez he's got a very good racers brain, knew exactly what he was doing when they went away!

The parcours made it possible today - usually the pace is kept so high that attacking off the front is very hard if not impossible. Without that climb putting the sprinters on the limit then there is no chance that Honoré gets that gap.

I thought it was awesome that Pogacar and Thomas were willing to give it a go today though. Apparently tomorrow has a short climb near the finish but I doubt they’ll get the same freedom.
Making it good to watch that's for sure, good to see G going with Pog and making a go of it. Today's stage was fantastic at 60km as it all split up and then the finish!

He has a habit of winning streaks and his confidence will be through the roof after that!
Definitely, and the fact phillepson crashed two days ago and he made up no ground in that sprint will push him forward no end. It would not surprise me if he ends on 38,just a shame we have no champs finish this year because he'd be winning it after today!

COVID in its current guise is sometimes fantastically mild. I think its like anything where people attribute "fighting through" an illness. The truth is that people don't really do that. They are either not that sick or they don't compete. I've had COVID at least 3 times at this point and 1 time was nothing, one time was quite bad and the other was just meh.
It does vary, first time I had it I raced British national cx champs ( having tested for the 3 days prior being negative) and despite coughing and spluttering had my best ever result, but then had it the following year and it took me 3 months to be able to put my socks on without needing to catch my breath, and about 12 months until I actually felt like I could breath completely freely.

Chances that roglic will win the vuelta now after yet another tdf abandon.

Looks like Roglic has abandoned the TdF after his crash yesterday. That’s his third DNF in his last three tries

Doh, just saw Solid already posted it
ive not seen his crash but it sounded like he just fell asleep, much like his previous 2 tours... how he's won the vuelta 3 times.

So a relatively flat day today after a rest day yesterday, should be one for the sprinters.

Mind you, given the absurd ascents up those mountains over the weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if the vampires came to visit over the rest day and you see Vingegaard drop a Tsar Bomba and does a Floyd Landis.

Quite frankly, if that happens, I'm switching off.

Where's your David Walsh's and Paul Kimmage's of this world calling out these alien performances in the mainstream media?

This is what surprises me with the top two currently, but the wider teams of the top riders, the fact UAE have 3 of the top 7 and Landa who has fallen short year after year is up in fifth, if Jumbo didn't have so much bad luck this year they'd almost certainly have Kuss up there as well. Although as I've said previously what they're doing potentially isn't illegal currently, although I can't see how such a huge jump since 2020 and in such a short space of time is possible within the realms of good diet and better training methods.

Agreed regarding the bbc coverage. I think cycling sport is still fairly niche, but more common than darts.

Vindegaard will hopefully give a closer tour next time. The Visma team didn’t really seem to have any of the control of previous tours and did not seem to be able to support him. Great to have a few different winning teams though. It should help teams get funding for next year.
hardly surprising when you look at who was supposed to be in their tour team and who actually went. They have had some serious bad luck this year with accidents.

Back
Top Bottom