Pro Cycling Thread 2023

Yeah not ideal, but can't imagine it's easy with that amount of people there. Although they should have been expecting something over the top. Don't think it'd have changed much.

Great win for Rodriguez, took the initiative and once he got that few seconds there was no looking back. Obviously studied the descent before the way he flew down. Not sure who'll be happier after that day. Pog will obviously be disappointed but so will Jonas after the amount of work his team did.

I love how close they are together but they absolutely smash the rest of the field. If either didn't exist it feels like it would've been won already.

Not that I know much and I know he's the defending champion but it seems Jonas is the underdog, out of the two, so I'm wanting him to win. But boy oh boy both are spectacular.

Pog to put a chunk of time into JV on the time trial tomorrow?
Not sure, Vingegaard has had the better of Pogacar in both week 3 TTs they've contested in the Tour. It may come down to recovery but I felt Vingegaard had the measure of Pog for the first time at the end of yesterday's stage. I think Jumbo see both the TT and Wednesday's stage as opportunities for Vingegaard hence the defensive approach over the weekend.

Not sure, Vingegaard has had the better of Pogacar in both week 3 TTs they've contested in the Tour. It may come down to recovery but I felt Vingegaard had the measure of Pog for the first time at the end of yesterday's stage. I think Jumbo see both the TT and Wednesday's stage as opportunities for Vingegaard hence the defensive approach over the weekend.

Good point, I forgot JV took both week 3 TTs and Pog took the week 1 TTs in the past two Tours. Looks like they are pretty well matched overall but past results have JV as the winner https://www.procyclingstats.com/rid...ar/jonas-vingegaard-rasmussen/tt-same-results

That wednesday stage will likely see a much "bigger" change than we've seen so far, many climbs plus a long final, that after a TT that isn't that simple. I think a good indicator of what Jumbo are doing will be if WVA is allowed to go for the win tomorrow or is anywhere near the top. If not then they're all eggs in for the Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

What should I be looking out for today in the ITTs? Does this stage suit certain riders more than others? Would a sprinter benefit more from a ITT than say an out and out climber or is it the reverse?

My friend thinks Tadej will take the yellow jersey today. I'm hoping he doesn't. Not that I dislike him, I'm just supporting Jonas (no reason in particular but I do think they have the nicest bikes after the team that Cav rode for)

Nothing much apart from the GC should come out on top.

Tadej is being torn apart, but the way these 2 are so far ahead is bordering on ridiculous.

Hmmm, Pog puts over a minute into everyone and then JV nearly puts 2 mins on Pog?
Not believeable to me...These 2 are on such a different level consistently, you expect GC riders to be above the rest but not to that extent. They're going to be 10 minutes ahead of everyone at the end of the week. Last time we saw that sort of domination of a small subset of riders was Lance and then before that was Merckx.

Last edited:
Not believeable to me...These 2 are on such a different level consistently, you expect GC riders to be above the rest but not to that extent. They're going to be 10 minutes ahead of everyone at the end of the week. Last time we saw that sort of domination of a small subset of riders was Lance and then before that was Merckx.

I hate to say it but it does smell off, on top of that they climbed de Joux Plane (?) in the fastest time ever, smashing all the peak EPO times.

I believe the prevalent opinion is that doping is still rife in the peleton, they just have to be smarter about it now. Suggestions that the younger riders have an advantage as well due to having only a "doped" passport against which everything else is compared.

Back
Top Bottom