• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problem with Water Cooled CPU after new GPU

Associate
Hi Guys,

First time poster so hopefully I ask the right questions in the right forum - This could go in Coolers or GPU or just problems..

The story so far...

I have a PC that I use quite regularly and up until now the spec was -

Fatality z68 Motherboard
16gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Ram
i5 2500k
2x 660Ti in SLI
Corsair Hydro H100i v2 CPU water Cooler

along with the other bits SSD etc.

I fancied updating the graphics card and got hold of a ROG 1060 6GB Strix at a cracking price to replace the ageing 660s. It all went in fine booted up as normal but then a problem.

Even though the CPU usage would not go above 20% within minutes the temperature was showing at 92c for the CPU and the fan to the radiator for the water cooler was going crazy - The temp before never really went above 40c at full whack. I thought perhaps it was a loose connection when I swapped the GPU out so checked everything, reseated the CPU with new Arctic MX-2 paste but still on boot it went straight up to 80c then progressed up to 92c. Nothing felt warm to the touch and it didn't shut down.

I got a bit annoyed to say the least thinking this should've been an easy quick job so decided to swap the 1060 out and put in a 780 I had but had never been in this PC before. Exactly the same thing happened again! Strange.

I then put the 1060 back in , ook the Corsair off and put on a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 to try filter out the problem a and the temps are running steadily as I type this at 21c and when I stress tested it briefly and then Fallout 4 on in Ultra with HD mods ran around a bit it never went above 40c.

I guess my question is - Does anyone know why there is a seeming conflict with the GPU and Cooler? Or have I fried the cooler somehow? (It is under warranty I think? Unless installing it makes the warranty void - I would need to check) The PC was working fine all day logged in remotely from work with the Corsair water cooler before I swapped out the GPU. I'm three hours or so of my life down the pan and none the wiser.

Thanks for any suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

Soldato
From what you've described I'd suspect that the water isn't flowing around the loop as it should.

I'd assume there should be some slight vibration and/or noise from the pump when it's running.

Associate
OP
From what you've described I'd suspect that the water isn't flowing around the loop as it should.

I'd assume there should be some slight vibration and/or noise from the pump when it's running.

Thanks for the quick reply - There doesn't seem to be any vibrations or anything out of the ordinary from the AIO so thinking it must be the pump that has mysteriously gone perhaps. Not sure though hence me asking. Guess I should've put this in the cooler forum tbh.

Soldato
Does that cooler allow you to monitor the pump speed? I think it probably does.

Is an airlock in the tubing possible due to moving the case around while changing cards? I don't know if that's something they can suffer from.

Associate
OP

Is an airlock in the tubing possible due to moving the case around while changing cards? I don't know if that's something they can suffer from.

Yeah it does - It did show it running at 2400rpm iirc It was on the extreme fan setting anyway. Not sure about the airlocks this is my first water cooler. I'll look in to that idea, thanks

Associate
OP

Seems it could very well be an airlock I need to give it a go tomorrow at clearing it see if it is. Thanks again for the help I'll report back once I've done it

Man of Honour
sounds like something wrong with the pump.
1) you knocked the pins supplying the pump (power issue)
2) airlock in the pump whilst changing your gpu
3) dead pump

check bios to see if it registers the pump rpm

Associate
OP
sounds like something wrong with the pump.
1) you knocked the pins supplying the pump (power issue)
2) airlock in the pump whilst changing your gpu
3) dead pump

check bios to see if it registers the pump rpm
I'll do that once I'm back from work fell asleep last night before I got chance to check the airlock theory. Thanks for the help though

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is the new graphics card dumping a lot of heat into the case? if so you're likely blowing hot air onto the radiator so the water isn't going to get cooled very well, it'd explain the ramping up of the fans. Blower fans are best in terms of cooling the graphics card without dumping heat onto the rest of the components.

Caporegime
Yeah I've just re-read if it's doing it with the 780 too then it's likely a pump issue. If the pump draws power from the motherboard maybe try running it direct from the PSU incase it's some kind of issue with the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Apologies for the slow reply been absolutely snowed under with work - Thanks everyone for your input really appreciate it.

Is the new graphics card dumping a lot of heat into the case? if so you're likely blowing hot air onto the radiator so the water isn't going to get cooled very well, it'd explain the ramping up of the fans. Blower fans are best in terms of cooling the graphics card without dumping heat onto the rest of the components.

Definitely not this - It heats up too quickly for that to be an issue, also I have a fairly stripped out case and ran this without either side panel on and plenty of airflow. Nothing felt warm in there.

Knackered pump most likely. My H100 went the same way. RPMs reported fine, but no flow.

Just luck it failed when you swapped the GPU.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking just pure dumb bad luck with the timing.

Yeah I've just re-read if it's doing it with the 780 too then it's likely a pump issue. If the pump draws power from the motherboard maybe try running it direct from the PSU incase it's some kind of issue with the motherboard.

Definitely a pump issue I suspect - Although I haven't had a chance to refit it onto a separate PC I have after jiggling the tubes and radiator to see if it is indeed an airlock. I have emailed Corsair but had no reply from them as of yet. I think I'll stick with the BeQuiet fan in this main PC I use.

Back
Top Bottom