Problems with host

Associate
Not sure if this is the right forum but....I've been using host for a number of years (the 'V' one that's been bought over) and have started experiencing a lot of mail issues since being moved to a new server last month (required due to a php upgrade). I'm repeatedly having problems with my emails being flagged as spam (they're not) and it turns out it's due to activity of other customers on the same server.

It's been recurrently happening for around 2 months now, I'd asked to be moved to another server as I don't want to be on what might be considered a 'bad neighbourhood' for SEO, but they refused. I'd also asked about getting a fixed IP but they said they "basically don't do that" :confused:

I'd move but had just paid up for the next 3 years! Would be interested in anyone's thoughts on how harmful this might be and what my options are?

Associate
if your host ip is blacklisted surely they are the ones who need to get this sorted with where ever the spam blocking is happening, as for SEO i dont think spam emails effect SEO results unless people see your spam emails visit your domain and then leave straight away which would increase your bounce rate and thats when your SEO would be effected...

Associate
OP
Thanks Baro, it's hopefully unlikely it wouldn't effect SEO then.

The host said they had cleared the IP off blacklist but I was still having issues 3 weeks later - they said to be patient as sometimes it takes time to filter through to all blacklists. But when I was still having issues 5 weeks on it then transpired it was a fresh blacklisting. I don't understand why a host wouldn't have automatic triggers to prevent something like this or why blacklists wouldn't be specific to a domain instead of a host's IP!

Associate
When you are sending an email its using your hosts email server to send them out to WWW so naturally your host ip will get blacklisted by spam blacklist services rather then users domain itself.

You can check your hosts server ips or your ips in following website and see where it gets blocked at...
http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check

Alternatively you can host your email at an email hosting company rather then your webhost...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Still having major problems with Vida / Vidahost - every other day getting added to spamlists due to other's activity!
Having just paid for 3 years and after previous good service, they seem to have plunged right downhill!

Soldato
If Vidahost don't give a hoot about their shared IPs being blacklisted, you're only option is to vote with your feet and move host! You may want to invest in a host that provides a Dedicated IP.

EDIT: Just saw your post stating paid for 3yrs, ouch!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, total joke now.

If you want a laugh, see their response to me which I posted in the Host Review thread, this was the cloud hosting, but same issue, totally unable to secure the mailservers.
Beansprout (ex owner) responded, but sadly there's nothing he can do these days.

Vote with your feet.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I don't understand why the economics of big business takeover is to kill what made it successful in the first place!

Wish I could walk but tied for 3 years, think the only option will be to outsource the mail server meantime as Baro suggested.

Associate
OP
Yeah, thanks Terrier, used to deal with Seb and he was what made the place!

They've relented and shifted me to another server, so will see how I get on with that :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom