PROJECT CAR: BMW M3 E36 SALOON - Path to bankruptcy or endless smiles?

OcUK Staff
OP
In the wet the budget tyres certainly show their weakness even gentle throttle input and the backend breaks away, feels amazingly well balanced though.

So regarding tyres the stamp in the door and manual suggest 235/40/17 all round.

It is currently running:
225/45/17 fronts
235/45/17 rears

So very wrong.
But online websites suggest based on the w allows fitted it should run:
225/45/17 fronts
245/40/17 rears

So I guess If the wheels are staggered I can do the above and stick with stock square setup.

So the factory 235/40/17 size their is hardly any tyre availability must be a very rare size and is probably why the car is fitted with wrong size.

So I guess my best bet is to go with 225/45 and 245/40 in 17” which the new PS5 is available in both sizes.

Soldato
I'd used autoteile-supermarkt.de for stabilus/oem boot struts - but that was pre-brexit; direct stuff from germany was(is?) a good deal.
bmw_direct on ebay are usually included in voucher offers so they are good for parts, too (park lane)

how are radiator hoses and auxiliary/viscous fan state.

I'd be interested to know if you'll get some kind of endoscope assessment of sills.

OcUK Staff
OP
Gibbo, you sure motors not been changed and replacement had Aircon pump they just left on it?

Did cross my mind would have to find out where a VIN stamp might or could be on the engine to see if it matches the chassis.

There is definetely no air con controls in the car.

OcUK Staff
OP
Did cross my mind would have to find out where a VIN stamp might or could be on the engine to see if it matches the chassis.

There is definetely no air con controls in the car.

Your first post.
- Secondary air pump is noisy on a cold start, last for about 45-60s.

Next cold start put your hand down on it nd see if it goes quiet.

Well this pulley at the bottom of my engine with no belt which I think is AC could actually be the secondary air pump and if so it is obviously no longer running.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So the M3 continues to drive just fine, done about 100 miles since collecting it, the item with no belt at bottom of engine is a Secondary Air Pump, which is no longer running (no belt), they were known for failing and most owners either removed them or just took the belt off. I shall look to properly remove it and blank of the manifold with a plate.

I reached out to a previous owner who had the car around 2010 who has replied to me:

"
No problem Andrew glad to hear of your new aquisition. I went on to a e39 m5 totally different car but still miss the v6 such great fun. In my time I had the arches cut out and replaced with fresh metal resprayed in that area and blended in and I did regular oil changes coolant changes using the correct oil. I converted the car back to standard oem suspension springs and dampers from a low milegage m3. The car was never fitted in my time with air con and I didnt spot that it had a compressor so good luck with that I cant help there I am afraid. There was no major engine work or anything as it ran fine for me.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Alan"

So some really good news that, especially considering he did so much work on the car himself with restoring it with new dampers and springs, sorting all the arch rust out and keep on top of servicing. He then sold the car in 2016 to the guy I purchased it off who basically dry stored it for 6-7 years and then sold to me.

Also the whole car seems to getting faster and smoother, on a couple of occaisons I have put my foot down black smoke has come out, no doubt from been sat and not used, it has stopped smoking now on heavy acceleration.

Plan to do quite a bit of work soon all been well, new plugs, new filters, won't change the oil as it is very clean and was done less than 1000 miles ago with Fuchs synthetic 5W-40, but will do the other stuff along with cleaning the underside.

If my car has the staggered wheel size I think I shall change over to 225/45 front and 245/40 rear for the tyres in 17" :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

OK so car went to local garage today for a full check over and a list making of all the stuff required, I was expecting quite a long list but the garage has essentially come back saying the car actually needs nothing urgent and just a list of recommendations to do as and when I wish, which are:

- RTAB bushes, adviced solid/poly
- All the jacking points have been repaired and to a good standard apart from one, which needs some minor welding and the jacking point, other than that no rust or rot found
- Front brake flexi hoses would be an advisory on MOT, so action within next 12-24 months
- New exhaust mount required
- Front lower plastic undertray missing
- Rear diff had or maybe still has a very minor leak, suspected to be rear casing seal gasket
- Gear shifter bit sloppy, shifter repair kit adviced but not required.

That was it they said to find an E36 that is standard, supposedly the exhaust is completely factory exhaust too and just the outer skin is rotten on the back box with one of the hangers broken in such clean and honest condition was a great find, especially at the price. So focus on servicing it and essentially fully restoring the interior and getting the exterior looking as good as possible.

Wheels booked for refurb end of next week with Andy from Powder Coating Shropshire. :)

Also found a Youtube channel which has also just obtained an E36 M3 Coupe which is been restored for anyone interested:

Soldato
- RTAB bushes, adviced solid/poly
- All the jacking points have been repaired and to a good standard apart from one, which needs some minor welding and the jacking point, other than that no rust or rot found
- Front brake flexi hoses would be an advisory on MOT, so action within next 12-24 months
- New exhaust mount required
- Front lower plastic undertray missing
- Rear diff had or maybe still has a very minor leak, suspected to be rear casing seal gasket
- Gear shifter bit sloppy, shifter repair kit adviced but not required.

good news then,
having also watched the video I hadn't appreciated you could take wheel liners out to see the inside of sills and jacking points ..
did they quote you for the jacking point ?

OcUK Staff
OP
good news then,
having also watched the video I hadn't appreciated you could take wheel liners out to see the inside of sills and jacking points ..
did they quote you for the jacking point ?

Well will get them to do that along with RTABs they said be about two hours work so £100

Soldato
11k for a e36 is absolutely insane.

Not really, it's far more sensible in some respects than paying £11k for a used Ford Fiesta.

If anything that E36 will gain value, the Fiesta will end up worth £500. Aside from running & maintaining that E36 it's either going to work out free of charge at worst or even turn a profit.

Caporegime
It’ll turn a handsome profit I’d expect, I was randomly messaged on FB a while back by someone wanting to buy my e36 328i which I had an old photo of - I sold it a decade ago! - people out there want these and - it seems - are actively seeking them out…

I’ve had similar enquiries about my old - long gone - e38’s via FB too…

Looks like Gibbo has bagged a good example, can’t see him losing on it long term.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

The car is not an investment but at 11k this was cheapest car on the market and a gamble as it could have been hiding a lot of gremlins. Good condition examples are 15-35k depending on miles.

Anyway tonight I have found a gremlin.

I thought the wheels look odd on one side and then I spotted it the rear on one side has a 7.5” front wheel on the rear. Whereas the other side has the correct 8.5” deeper dish rear wheel.

So I opened the boot and there is the deeper dish 8.5” wide wheel, only catch is that it’s not a genuine wheel.

The other three wheels on the car are genuine or seem so but all the wheels will be removed tomorrow to verify. In the meantime I’ve found an original 8.5” rear on eBay and ordered it so hope the current other three are originals.

Also ordered new centre caps and badges for wheels.

Car booked in next Friday for refurb and fitting of new PS5 tyres.

Also spotted side repeaters were on the wrong sides so swapped those around and my passenger side plastic trim is not the correct M trim so need to source that plastic piece.

Bound to find inconsistencies and gremlins on a 27yr old BMW that has had 8 previous owners at least so far nothing to serious.

Caporegime
Sounds like it’s in pretty remarkable shape given it’s years and 8 owners, sure a few niggles here and there but nothing that would stop you using and enjoying it pretty much as it stands which is a nice bonus.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if it had needed much more serious attention than what your garage has flagged up, looks like you really dropped on a good one so far. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Sounds like it’s in pretty remarkable shape given it’s years and 8 owners, sure a few niggles here and there but nothing that would stop you using and enjoying it pretty much as it stands which is a nice bonus.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if it had needed much more serious attention than what your garage has flagged up, looks like you really dropped on a good one so far. :)

Looks that way, all the wheels fitted to the car are original. So the best one will go in the boot as the spare, the remaining originals and the one purchased from Ebay will be refurbed in silver and fitted with new PS5 tyres next week, going staggered considering I am running staggered wheels.

Tyre Details:2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 5 225/45 R17 Y (94), Reinforced, Asymmetrical
2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 5 245/40 R17 Y (95), Reinforced, Asymmetrical
Price:£462.70

Inspected the arches and dampers/springs with wheels off, springs look new but previous owner did say they came from a low mileage car and were fitted to my car at 90,000 miles, dampers dry no leaks and arches have no signs of rust or corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom