Project Cars VR Thread

Associate
Cheers Superwez, just tried those setting and not sure if I like it or mine. Will need to really test it out over the weekend.

Is there are way to see what FPS im getting in game on the steam vr/oculus program?

Just cant get enough of the game mind, upto 90% opponents now and with all the helps off like treaction contral makes it hard work.

Soldato
I have just got myself a dk2 headset, and I have been playing project cars with it and its pretty awesome, but when Im racing and if I look up it gets brighter and when I look down, it gets darker. Any idea why that is and how can I fix it?

Associate
Just done a typical Steam thing. Read this thread, persuaded me to buy project cars, went to steam and I already own it :eek:

Time to see if I can run it on my Vive...

Associate
:)

I had a Vive 6 months ago, but just couldn't get on with the low-res and jaggies (I'm used to crisp 3440x1440 monitor) - looking ahead to corner and apex was not good enough. Kind of tempted now I have a 1080Ti and extra grunt to try again, maybe applying AA and DSR etc can make things a bit smoother. VR was the only reason I bought Project Cars.

Associate
I found its poor on how clear the distant views are too, but the realism of being in the car makes up for it. I upgraded my 970 to a 1080ti thinking it would make it perfect but now I just think the game isn't optimised that well and hope PCars2 will clear the visuals up. Still wouldn't go back to a screen now I have tasted VR racing.

I did spend some time at the weekend playing with all the setting to see what worked best for me, I was running most setting at max with a little SS to keep the 1080ti at 95% usage, but now I run most on low and up the SS.

I've attempted to see if Asseto is any better but I just cant get past the first corner and watch the in car steering wheel turn way more than my G25 does. So I quickly gave up playing with the wheel settings and went back to PCars.

Associate
I thought the hardware (screen res) was the limiting factor? or is it because vR requires 90fps plus for good visuals? Most games would be pushing a lot of pixels to achieve that...

Associate
I bought PCars shortly after I got my Vive, and while it felt great being actually in the car, the visuals take too much of a hit in VR (and it still performs poorly at the lowest settings, especially with a lot of cars about).

Prefer playing this one at full tilt on my ultrawide to be honest.

Soldato
I have just been racing in a f1 car for the first time since getting my headset and wowww it actually felt like I was in a f1 car. That experience makes up for the feeling that you have tights stuck over your head (screen door effect)

Like I im totally rubbish racing incar view on a monitor as you cant see much out of the windscreen, but with vr its totally different because you can see soooo much more infront and around you. So I think I can put up with the dotty display for the time being.. Apparntly the PS vr headsets dont suffer from the screen door effect?

Soldato
People moan about the letter box affect but its not that far off a racing helmet where you have restricted vision anyway, I think it actually adds to the realism :D

Associate
My Bro-in-law brought his PSVR around for us to try out at Christmas, it's good but driveclub resolution was awful, it was like driving without glasses and being shortsighted. I just don't think PS4 is powerful enough, maybe the Pro would help.

Soldato
Finally got round to moving my PCars install over to the new Ryzen rig and wow, my force feedback was shocking, the controller was detected and working but in game the performance and handling was shocking, turns out the Windows 10 provided driver for the Logitech is terrible, I loaded the Logitech profiler relaunched the game and recalibrated the wheel and peddles, straight away all was well again.

If people are experiencing bad handling and feedback I would check to make sure you are using the correct drivers :)

Associate
I really wish they'd add something to the FFB settings that allows you to test a setting directly to see what the difference is. At the moment it's all just guesswork, start a game - no, that's terrible - go back, change something else, start another game - etc etc. Very silly.

Soldato
Agreed, when I first fired it up and tried it, if I didnt know better I would have never touched the game again, its amazing what difference correct settings make, the out of box windows driver although working was so bad, its difficult to describe the difference as there really is no comparison.

Associate
I've got my PCars almost as good as AC now, all of the in-game wheel movement translates to my T500 even the twitchiness/bumps on the straights, absolutely and literally a game changer...

I've got my transponders with SimVibe in chassis mode, but I really need to get my Rift back up and running as well, then I'm golden.

I'm less of a PC Gamer and more of a frustrated petrolhead using sims to get my car related fix...

Associate
I also took the plunge on the bay of e to get a DK2 for £99 just to see what all the fuss was about. I used to play pCars on a 3 monitor setup and thought it was good but in VR it just blows it away.

Yes the hardware is still a little off, jagglies are annoying at first but if i stick with it for more than 10 mins i hardly notice them. I play almost the same settings as the OP but with all the post effect filters off as well and SS set to 1.6. It uses about 80-90% of my 980Ti to maintain the 75fps but it never drops so i never get that feeling of disconnection when a lot happens and its drops to 37.5fps

I think im actually a bit quicker now overall being able to look into the corners properly to judge the angle, I had about an hours session messing with settings and feel last night on Silverstone Stowe with the Formula Rookie and was surprised to find I ended up 10th in the world lol

Looking down at the gloves and actually feeling like they are your own hands is just amazingly weird, I havent had the pleasure of using the touch controllers but I'm assuming that takes VR to the next level.

rookie_stowe.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom