Project: External Acrylic Radbox

Associate
That's a nice solution compared to hanging a rad of the back of your case. Fornowagain will you be using something like some shut off valves if you neeed to move your case or for maitenence? Thanks for sharing though.

Soldato
OP
Any specific reason why you have the fans pulling air through the rad?
Given the choice of push or pull I'd choose pull. Fans impart not only forward but rotational momentum to the air. Placing the fan in pull helps reduce the rotational element across the radiator matrix, improving flow. I'm careful to seal the fan edges to keep the pressure up, I want the air flowing over the core not the sides. Its a technical vanity, in practise there's not much in it. One improvement would be a shroud to move the fan away from the core and remove the dead spot directly behind the fan motor. I've tried lots of configurations in the past, even 6 fans on a PA120.3 for overkill and tbh its not needed, the open PA design works well with a single high pressure fan (per 120). What's more important is the choice of fan for the application. It can get quite involved.

If you'd like to read more.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137832
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661
http://www.thermochill.com/PATesting/#PA1203

That's a nice solution compared to hanging a rad of the back of your case. Fornowagain will you be using something like some shut off valves if you neeed to move your case or for maitenence? Thanks for sharing though.
I mentioned the cpc quick release at the start, its not apparent what the do. Here's a pic (wallpaper not my choice btw) of the radbox connected to my PC. They are brilliant connectors, a drop of fluid loss and hardly any flow restriction. Just click the button and they separate and seal.

DSCF2784.jpg

-------------------------

Parts List.

3 x 120mm x 38mm Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
3 x 120mm x 25mm YATE LOON D12SL-12
2 x Laing DDC3.2 Ultra pumps with PetrasTech DDCT-01s Top
2 x Thermochill PA120.3
2 x CPC Coupling Body cHFCD178-12
2 x CPC Coupling Insert cHFCD228-12
2 x Anodised 120.3 Rad Grill
MEANWELL SP-150 SMPS 12V 150W PSU
Sunbeam Rheobus Controller
Swiftech MCRES-Micro

All tooled up for a my next acrylic project, maybe a custom reservoir or cube case.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given the choice of push or pull I'd choose pull. Fans impart not only forward but rotational momentum to the air. Placing the fan in pull helps reduce the rotational element across the radiator matrix, improving flow. I'm careful to seal the fan edges to keep the pressure up, I want the air flowing over the core not the sides. Its a technical vanity, in practise there's not much in it. One improvement would be a shroud to move the fan away from the core and remove the dead spot directly behind the fan motor. I've tried lots of configurations in the past, even 6 fans on a PA120.3 for overkill and tbh its not needed, the open PA design works well with a single high pressure fan (per 120). What's more important is the choice of fan for the application. It can get quite involved.

I suppose the type of fan and the type of Rad makes a difference.

Soldato
Very nice job, great for when/if you ever change your case etc as all external and definately going to cool whatever it needs to!

A custom case next to that would look sweet :)

Soldato
Very nice indeed. I am planning to do something similar with black opaque acrylic. I was thinking of mounting the fans on the top and back though for a pull system. I was thinking it might be slightly quieter this way, also I can use more fans than rad space (i.e. 6 or 8 fans for a 120.2 and 120.3), so can turn them at a lower speed, or higher speed if I am benching :)

Soldato
Nice job

I like thoses quick connectors, been toying with getting some to replace the Zalman ones I've got.

The Koolance ones look the business
The Eheim ones are the budget choice
and now these CPC ones offer the best flow.

Decisions decisions...

Associate
How much spillage do you get with those connectors? I've just spent the last hour (while I should have been working; oops :p) looking at the CPC website, and they seem to think the connectors you've used are both valved; but not spillage free?

HHM

HHM

Associate
How far away from eachother can the PC and the box be ?
is there any maximum tubing-lenght versus pump-power to consider ?

(I consider such a box myself)

Back
Top Bottom