Project: finally have water in my pc!

Soldato
After umming & arghhhing for months I finally took the plunge!

Corsair Obsidian 700D Full Tower Case

EK Supreme i7 High FlowClear Top CPU Water Block
2 x EK GTX 470 Full Cover VGA Water Block - Nickel Plexi
2 x EK GTX 470 Backplate - Nickel
Phobya Variable SLI VGA Connector 1 Slot SLI

EK CoolStream Radiator XT 360 (120.3)
EK CoolStream Radiator XT 120 (120.1)
4 x Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 120mm Fan

EK Multioption Reservoir X2 150 Advanced
Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 Vario Water Pump
EK D5 X-Top - Black Acetal G1/4" Rev2

3 x Fluid XP+ Ultra with z-7 Clear 944ml (32oz)
3 Metres Masterkleer tubing PVC 13/10mm (3/8"ID) UV-active white
20 x TFC Compression Fitting G1/4" Thread 3/8" ID/1/2" OD - High Flow

I have put the 120.3 rad at the top exhaust as the main rad
Then the 120.1 rad as a rear intake to cool the water a bit after the CPU but before the 470s.

Here is my tool of choice, trusted & used over the years for everything I do:
SAM_0099Medium.jpg

Here is the pump:
SAM_0096Medium.jpg

SAM_0097Medium.jpg

The top:
SAM_0098Medium.jpg

After 10 mins & finding it really easy compared to what I had read the top was fittet:
SAM_0100Medium.jpg

SAM_0101Medium.jpg

SAM_0102Medium.jpg

Soldato
OP
Used TFC Compression Fittings for everything:
SAM_0103Medium.jpg

SAM_0106Medium.jpg

Mounted the top rad & fans:
SAM_0110Medium.jpg

Time to prepare the 470's:
SAM_0107Medium.jpg

17 screws on each one:
SAM_0109Medium.jpg

SAM_0108Medium.jpg

SAM_0112Medium.jpg

Nice comparison:
SAM_0115Medium.jpg

Ran into trouble with a screw getting too chewed up on the second card. Tried everything and eventually had to carefully drill it out. Damaged the card slightly but not where it matters:
SAM_0116Medium.jpg

Sorted:
SAM_0119Medium.jpg

SAM_0122Medium.jpg

SAM_0123Medium.jpg

Soldato
Best thing in the pics so far are the Guinness slippers :D but the build is looking great! Have you fired the card up since drilling out the screw?

Those waterblocks look great! Damn; watercooling is so much more advanced than when I used to run under water :)

Soldato
OP
My ram, it isn't being water cooled:
SAM_0124Medium.jpg

The res:
SAM_0111Medium.jpg

And the CPU block fitted:
SAM_0125Medium.jpg

SAM_0126Medium.jpg

Looks so much tidier using water blocks instead of fans:
SAM_0129Medium.jpg

Had to remove the small HDD trays in the bottom for the pump:
SAM_0131Medium.jpg

SAM_0132Medium.jpg

SAM_0133Medium.jpg

Pic showing the rear rad too:
SAM_0134Medium.jpg

Tubing:
SAM_0138Medium.jpg

Fillpot:
SAM_0142Medium.jpg

Front view:
SAM_0143Medium.jpg

Soldato
OP
And finally I finished it, took me all day bank holiday monday, then leak tested overnight. I found it easier then I expected but definitely more time consuming. I do feel though for my fist time it went very well. The only real scare was having to drill out that screw but it all works & hasn't caused a problem. I also had to use the SLI bridge protector from an SLI bridge protector back plate to help hold up the res.

Final pics:
SAM_0163Medium.jpg

SAM_0153Medium.jpg

Temps are now much better.
12 hours prime took my CPU @ 4Ghz to only 65c. However that is core 1. Core 4 only gets to 59c. Weird but acceptable imo.

30 mins of heaven benchmark sees my 470s not going above 43c with extreme tessellation which is even better the I hoped however they are still at stock. Will overclock them over the next few days along with increasing the voltage.

Very impressed with the pump, it is silent! Even on the fastest setting. It has no problem pushing the water around all the components even creating a nice little water feature in the res from the force it was pushing water round the loop & back in, that was untill I filled it fuller anyway.

The water goes:
res - pump - top rad - CPU - rear rad - 470s - res :)

Soldato
That's looking really nice dave :) How are you finding the EK radiators? They seem to be showing good temps. I just wonder what they would do on an overclocked GTX 480 :) It's a bit scary how much fluid you need :o

Soldato
OK, noob water-cooling question:
There seems to be 2 different types of TFC Compression Fittings, sort of an input and an output one. How does that work? Did you buy them specifically? Do they come in pairs?

Soldato
OK, noob water-cooling question:
There seems to be 2 different types of TFC Compression Fittings, sort of an input and an output one. How does that work? Did you buy them specifically? Do they come in pairs?

If he got them from OCUK then they seem to have a bit of a random pick and mix thing going on at the moment between old and new designs of the feser compression fittings. Pot luck what you get it seems.

Soldato
OP
That's looking really nice dave :) How are you finding the EK radiators? They seem to be showing good temps. I just wonder what they would do on an overclocked GTX 480 :) It's a bit scary how much fluid you need :o

They seem to work well, I can't complain.
They come with plugs too so its easy to plug & shake them when initially cleaning them out. Only needed 3 rinses too :)

I didn't use all the fluid. Only 1 & a quarter bottles. The extra i'll put away in case I ever need it again. The main reason for choosing the fluid is the fact that it doesnt conduct so I dont have to worry so much.

If he got them from OCUK then they seem to have a bit of a random pick and mix thing going on at the moment between old and new designs of the feser compression fittings. Pot luck what you get it seems.

Yea, its pot luck.
I tried to make it so the ones that slimmed at the end (a bit more barb like) were outlets with the smaller ones as inlets. This should make slightly less resistance & less chance of leaking (probably only peace of mind & made no difference at all :D

Just played 45 mins of BC2 with max temps of 51c :)
Beats 97c which the second card was seeing on air :D

Soldato
Nice dave. I was originally tempted by a Thermochill rad, but want to try and take down costs a little on my build, so the EK rads might be an idea. Knowing EK, they will probably make a Rev 2 soon that's even better. Yeah, I am planning on buying some of that fluid for my build :) Looks really good :)

Soldato
OP
I looked at that and it was tempting, however I didn't feel it was needed.
I don't plan to clock my CPU higher then 4Ghz and want as much cool water as possible for my 470s :)

Back
Top Bottom