Project gain 20lbs in 5 months - Training log

Associate
Ill keep it short as most of you have read my goals and stuff in the other thread.

Currents:

Weight - 141lbs
Height - 6'2

1 rep maxs
Bench - 145
Leg press - 235
V-bar row - 100
DB bench - 60 (each)

Goals:
Weight - 160-170lbs
Height - 6'2 haha

1 reps maxes:
Bench: 205
Leg press: 300
V-Bar row - 150
DB Bench - 90lbs
lat pulldown - 170lbs

Routine:

Based on pyramid training whereby as the reps go down the weight goes up.

Tuesday:

Dumbell bench 8,8,6,4
V Bar Rows 8,8,6,4
Leg press 10,8,8,6,4
Dips 3 x F
Ab sling leg raises 8 front, 8 right, 8 left

Thursday:

Overhead press: 8,8,6,4
Leg press: 10,8,8,6,4
Lateral pull down: 8,8,6,4
Pull ups: 3 x F

Saturday:
Leg Press 8,6,6,4
Dumbell bench: 8,6,6,4
Lying barbell row: 8,8,6,4
Dips: 3 x F

Tuesdays workout was completed today with the following weight:

Dumbell bench 8,8,6,4 @ 40,40,45,50
V Bar Rows 8,8,6,4 @ 80,90,90,100
Leg press 10,8,8,6,4 @ 160,165,175,185
Dips 3 x F @ 8,5,2
Ab sling leg raises 8 front, 8 right, 8 left

Pictures every sunday.

Last edited:
Permabanned
20lbs of lean mass in 5 months is pretty unlikely, try for like 10.

Especially considering your routine breaks tons of rules.

You have a tricep based press every day.

You never, on any day, work any body part with enough intensity for large lean gains

You do tons of leg pressing with no squats in sight

You only seem to have chins in for biceps (which respond well to volume)

You dont work calves

You dont work front or rear delts apart from as synergists

You dont work traps

You have a short 3 day split and you repeat exercises as opposed to varying them

IMO you need to reasses the program, looks like you've cherry picked exercises.

EDIT also i dont like the look of your one rep maxes, 90lb dumbell's on the bench when you bench 205? i doubt that personally especially at 145lbs when you do no proper shoulder work. Either your form is shot or your embellishing your numbers. Heck its the internet right? Who cares. But dont expect good advice from the peeps round here if you dont play a straight game, most have been around this block many times and it will be obvious if all is not as it should be

Last edited:
Associate
OP
20lbs of lean mass in 5 months is pretty unlikely, try for like 10.

Especially considering your routine breaks tons of rules.

You have a tricep based press every day.

You never, on any day, work any body part with enough intensity for large lean gains

You do tons of leg pressing with no squats in sight

You only seem to have chins in for biceps (which respond well to volume)

You dont work calves

You dont work front or rear delts apart from as synergists

You dont work traps

You have a short 3 day split and you repeat exercises as opposed to varying them

IMO you need to reasses the program, looks like you've cherry picked exercises.

EDIT also i dont like the look of your one rep maxes, 90lb dumbell's on the bench when you bench 205? i doubt that personally especially at 145lbs when you do no proper shoulder work. Either your form is shot or your embellishing your numbers. Heck its the internet right? Who cares. But dont expect good advice from the peeps round here if you dont play a straight game, most have been around this block many times and it will be obvious if all is not as it should be

There is a reason I am not doing squats but mainly because of my back. Basically even though I would like to do them, its not happening so leg press is the next best thing. Also I originally did include deadlifts but I am doing the wrong and don't really want to damage my back with improper form.

the 90lb dumbell bench is a goal, I have no idea if it actually achievable with what I am doing hence the reason I posted here. I would be more then satisfied with anything above 75lbs.

I would appreciate it if maybe you would help me out with a routine? I would like to keep it at 3 days a week with pyramid sets if possible, Also I would like to work my chest and legs at least twice per week? :D

Also Im fully aware I will not gain 20lbs of muscle, but at 141bs on a 6'2 body any weight is good weight :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't be in such a rush to just gain weight. 90% of the western world are trying to get rid of it, so try and realize your advantage and just go for lean mass. Even 10lbs is a big ask, it's a huge task but a worthy goal ;)

It's easier to gain muscle the leaner you are because you don't have pesky fat cells storing and releasing estrogen. Trust me, use this to your advantage and stay lean.

Soldato
lol :)

Just try and stay 250-500kcals above maintenance. You should weigh yourself first thing every other morning and keep an eye on your weight. Any more than a pound a week and then back off on the calories a little as you're gaining fat.

If you don't gain anything for 2 weeks up the calories by 250.

Don't be scared of eating fat, make sure you eat at least 100g of fat a day and at least 5g of that should be Omega-3.

Associate
OP
lol :)

Just try and stay 250-500kcals above maintenance. You should weigh yourself first thing every other morning and keep an eye on your weight. Any more than a pound a week and then back off on the calories a little as you're gaining fat.

If you don't gain anything for 2 weeks up the calories by 250.

Don't be scared of eating fat, make sure you eat at least 100g of fat a day and at least 5g of that should be Omega-3.

I get scared of standing on the scale too frequently, because today I'll weigh 141lbs then in two days I might weigh 139.9 which is disappointing and always makes me ask myself why I'm even bothering.

I take 5 Omega 3 fish oil capsules a day at 1000mg each so I assume this would be ok? :)

Would it be a good idea to take this routine at the bottom:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_notes.html

And simply replace the set/rep method for my pyramid scheme? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I know what you mean with the weighing but don't take each weigh to heart. Work it out as an average, that's why I said give it 2 weeks before upping calories. Hydration plays a very big part in bodyweight and any big changes will be down to that.

Try and weigh yourself first thing in the morning, naked, straight after the morning waterfall ;)

If doing HST you need to follow the original rep scheme.

Permabanned
I get scared of standing on the scale too frequently, because today I'll weigh 141lbs then in two days I might weigh 139.9 which is disappointing and always makes me ask myself why I'm even bothering.

I take 5 Omega 3 fish oil capsules a day at 1000mg each so I assume this would be ok? :)

Would it be a good idea to take this routine at the bottom:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_notes.html

And simply replace the set/rep method for my pyramid scheme? :)

if you wanna do pyramid sets check out my programme planner HERE

as an example

Associate
OP
Certainly light isnt it, thats what made me question the 1RM's this guy is 3/4 my weight and caning my numbers. t'internet depresses me!

I think your confusing my goals/targets with my current lifts:

1 rep maxs
Bench - 145
Leg press - 235
V-bar row - 100
DB bench - 60 (each)
:)

I am a teenager I suppose, I'm 18 years old.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think your confusing me goals/targets with my current lifts:

1 rep maxs
Bench - 145
Leg press - 235
V-bar row - 100
DB bench - 60 (each)
:)

I am a teenager I suppose, I'm 18 years old.

ahhhh

apologies m8, misreading as usual, great goals but yeah i was a bit like wtf @ your bodyweight lol. current lifts aren't shabby though. Putting those 60's up in DB bench is quite a feat for a tall/slender type. Stick on the weights and fix your diet and you'll be golden

Man of Honour
I think the lad is working with pounds not kilos though Ultra, so if you convert you'll probably find you at least match his numbers. Divide by 2.2 to get kilos.

Me on the other hand, I'm a bit confused. Are bench press and chest press the same thing? If so then I'm 'beating' him on bench press, but I doubt I could match the dumbell bench. I'm going to my gym room :)D) to find out... (60lbs = 27kg. I can't make two of those with my available kit, so I'll have to try one arm and brace myself for balance.)

Associate
OP
ahhhh

apologies m8, misreading as usual, great goals but yeah i was a bit like wtf @ your bodyweight lol. current lifts aren't shabby though. Putting those 60's up in DB bench is quite a feat for a tall/slender type. Stick on the weights and fix your diet and you'll be golden

No worries, I stopped doing bench press as after doing some research I found that I would get much bigger and stronger, much faster using dumbell bench rather then barbell bench.

Also, do any of these programs look good to you?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=MassGainPrograms

I looked over your program but I notice you only hit each body part once per week, surely for someone such as me it would be best to go intensity and quantity?

Man of Honour
Is this a dumbell bench: lying back with upper arms straight out to the side, forearms pointing straight up, then pushing up until the whole arm is pointing straight up?

That what I just did anyway. The weight of the dumbell nearly pulled me off the bench as I wasn't properly balanced! I managed to make up a 26.5kg, couldn't add more plates as they would have blocked the collars. I pressed one with it, and it was quite difficult. I think if I were properly balanced I'd have done three or four reps, but I didn't fancy trying a second whilst holding onto the bench for dear life! :D

Permabanned
I think the lad is working with pounds not kilos though Ultra, so if you convert you'll probably find you at least match his numbers. Divide by 2.2 to get kilos.

Me on the other hand, I'm a bit confused. Are bench press and chest press the same thing? If so then I'm 'beating' him on bench press, but I doubt I could match the dumbell bench. I'm going to my gym room :)D) to find out... (60lbs = 27kg. I can't make two of those with my available kit, so I'll have to try one arm and brace myself for balance.)

60lb db are roughly 27.5kgs which is about my max shoulder press (for 8). Its a pretty good bench because it requires strong shoulders to support that size DB. I've not done DB bench for donkeys but im bringing it in my new program now.

Id estimate my max DB press for a few reps would be 40kg max ie about 89lbs ish which is why when i thought he said he could do 90's i was impressed.

Soldato
Are bench press and chest press the same thing? If so then I'm 'beating' him on bench press, but I doubt I could match the dumbell bench.
I wouldn't say so no. It's a bit like saying squats are same as leg press?
5g out of 100g? surely thats a typo? :o
Why?

Not saying that's what people should aim for, just said at least

Back
Top Bottom