Project gain 20lbs in 5 months - Training log

Permabanned
I looked over your program but I notice you only hit each body part once per week, surely for someone such as me it would be best to go intensity and quantity?

Doubt it, well not imo but you could add more exercises and do an extra day, i wouldnt hit each body part more than once per week though unless you are

on steroids (seriously)

Majorly experienced and on top of your diet 100% (and consistent for 2+ years)

a genetic freak

Simple. Most people, specially younger folk overtrain, i'll bet my hind teeth you overtrain and start to lose gains if you hit body parts more often with the exception of biceps, calves and possibly triceps but only when major compounds like bench are removed.

PS im 6'2" 230lbs 16%bf 1.2years lifting and controlling diet.

Associate
OP
Doubt it, well not imo but you could add more exercises and do an extra day, i wouldnt hit each body part more than once per week though unless you are

on steroids (seriously)

Majorly experienced and on top of your diet 100% (and consistent for 2+ years)

a genetic freak

Simple. Most people, specially younger folk overtrain, i'll bet my hind teeth you overtrain and start to lose gains if you hit body parts more often with the exception of biceps, calves and possibly triceps but only when major compounds like bench are removed.

PS im 6'2" 230lbs 16%bf 1.2years lifting and controlling diet.

Ok Im definately gonna draw up a new hopefully good routine when I get back from GEOG 1103

Associate
OP
OK, this is what I have drawn up, I think I have combined the correct body parts on the correct days, I was a little unsure about the triceps and biceps as someone mentioned they responded well to volume, hopefully you can tell me if this would be ok Ultra:

Tuesday: Chest/biceps

Dumbell bench press 8,8,6,4
Incline dumbbell bench 8,8,6
Incline db flyes 10,10
Barbell curl 8,8,8
Preacher curl 8,8,8

Thuesday: Back/Legs
Chin ups 30 reps
Barbell rows 8,8,6,4
Backcurl (don’t want to do deads) 25,25
Leg press 10.8.8.6.4,4
Leg ext, 8,8
Seated Calves 4 sets 10 reps

Saturday: Shoulders/triceps
Barbell shoulder press 8,8,6,4
DB Shurgs 10,10,8,6
Cable laterals 10,10,10
Tricep pushdowns 8,8,6,4
Dips 3 x F

Soldato
Also I originally did include deadlifts but I am doing the wrong and don't really want to damage my back with improper form.
If I were you I'd learn them, this is good advice for beginners. As long as you start out light and nail the form, you won't do any damage. Would also recommend squats. I know you say you don't want to hurt your back, but if you learn them properly first, you won't. Doing deadlifts, squats, bench, military press and pullups would give you the best gains over the next 5 months.
i wouldnt hit each body part more than once per week though unless you are...
I don't agree, he's 145lbs, and at 6'1 he's got to be underweight, and he'll also have naturally high test levels. He'd do better training each bodypart more than once a week.

Soldato
Am I missing something here?

Why are you training back and legs on the same day?

Then you have another day which is shoulders and triceps?

Logic would have it:

Back/Triceps

Legs/Shoulders (Still don't like it but it's better)

Associate
OP
After taking into account the above, it will end up like this:

monday:Shoulders/Legs

Barbell shoulder press 8,8,6,4
Upright tows 8,8,6,4
Reverse leg push 8,8,8
Leg press 10.8.8.6.4,4
Calve raises 8,8,8
Cable woodchops 10,8,6

Thursday: Back/Triceps
Chin ups 30 reps
Tricep pushdowns 8,8,6,4
Weighted Dips 3 x F
staright bar rows 8,8,6,4
powercleans 8,8,6,4

Saturday: Chest/Biceps
Close grip pullups
Dumbell bench press 8,8,6,4,2
Incline dumbbell bench 8,8,6
BB curl 8,8,6
Preacher curl 8,8,8

Also I found this workout card for a fullbody, would this work or should I definately stick with the above? It does seem weird to let each body part rest for an entire week before hitting it again?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/WorkoutLogs.html#anchor10649140

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-028-training

Last edited:
Permabanned
Will somebody explain this leg/lower back aversion? Preferably with references. I can see doing rows and chins on a different day to legs but i dont get this idea that lower and upper back need to be worked together, i prefer working the lower back erectors when im doing glutes on leg day.

Associate
OP
Will somebody explain this leg/lower back aversion? Preferably with references. I can see doing rows and chins on a different day to legs but i dont get this idea that lower and upper back need to be worked together, i prefer working the lower back erectors when im doing glutes on leg day.

half of those words just fly above me :p

Anyway I have my weight class in 3 hours so I shall let you all know how it goes.

Associate
OP
OK So had my thursday workout today and I have to say I much preferred it to the usual full body. I feel I really hit the back and triceps hard, I felt really pumped after it!

Thuesday: Back/Triceps
Chin ups 30 reps-------------------managed 20
Tricep pushdowns 8,8,6,4 -------- 90,100,110,120
Dips 3 x F --------------------------managed 6,5,3
Barbell rows 8,8,6,4--------------- 135,135,145,155
Straight bar cable rows 8,8,6,4----60,60,70,80
Backcurl 25,25----------------------240,240

Associate
OP
Just back form my saturday workout:

Saturday: Chest/Biceps
Dumbell bench press 8,8,6,4------------45,45,50,55
Incline dumbbell bench 8,8,6------------30,30,45
Incline db flyes 10,10---------------shoulders decided they didnt want to do this
pull ups------------------------------10,10
Barbell curl 8,8,8--------------------60,60,60
Preacher curl 8,8,8------------------60,60,60

Back
Top Bottom