Project gain 20lbs in 5 months - Training log

I've tried each method, 2 moves, 3 and more and 3 works best for me. I see much better results working with 3 from back to front, but if 2 works for you chaps then fair play to you...I'm jealous :D

I always do three exercises for shoulders. Usually seated DB press with DB side laterals and bent over rear lateral raise on an incline bench, but sometimes replace the side laterals with DB front raises.

Three deltoid heads, three exercises is what I tend to think.

I always do three exercises for shoulders. Usually seated DB press with DB side laterals and bent over rear lateral raise on an incline bench, but sometimes replace the side laterals with DB front raises.

Three deltoid heads, three exercises is what I tend to think.
Bench Press, Military Press and BOR's it is then ;)

I just don't think isolations are going to stimulate much 'real' muscle growth that's all. I'm not saying they won't build any but we all know compounds are where it's at... I mean can leg extentions hold a candle to Squats? So why are the shoulders any different?

Perhaps I've got somewhat of a bodybuilder mentality, then. I do bench press and bent over rows, both of which may involve shoulders but I don't consider shoulders to be the primary target, and so have specific exercises for them.

I suppose if you were benching/rowing twice a week then your shoulders would get enough. But I only do these exercises once a week, and without the isolation exercises my delts wouldn't get enough attention.

I've changed my mentality towards training massively over the past 12 months. I'm only saying what I think, not saying it's fact.... I suppose the proof is in everyones results? If you're gaining then your way is the right way ;)

I go quite heavy on chest, which is fine for hitting the front delts. My side and rear delts still need dedicated exercises to bring them up to where my front delts are.

I go quite heavy on chest, which is fine for hitting the front delts. My side and rear delts still need dedicated exercises to bring them up to where my front delts are.

Any rowing exercise hits the rears pretty hard :)

Shoulders are one of the most overtrained muscles in my opinion.

Each to their own though, I personally find I don't need much direct work- whereas like you say you do to bring them rest up to your fronts.

Just trying to add another opinion to shoulder training :D

Last edited:
I have all the main exercise, rows, squats, deadlifts, bench press, but still to get a nice rounded shoulder I benefit from direct shoulder stimulation. My shoulders are looking good, and certainly aren't overtrained. But like most things in bodybuilding, what works for me may not for you, and visa versa.

Sorry for my slacking lately, I have been going to the gym just forgetting to write on here!

Tuesdays:
Shoulder press 10,8,8,6,4 - 105,115,115,120,125
Upright rows 10,8,6,4 - 95,105,115,125
Legpress 10,8,8,6,4,4 - 230,250, 260, 270, 280, 280
Ab swing 24,24

Thursday:
Powerclean 8,8,6,4 - 105,110,115,135 (3)
Straight bar row 8,6,6,4 - 90,100,110,110
Tricep pushdown 8,8 - 110,120
Weighted dips (25lb) - 5,5,5 :cool:

The missions has been the success everybady :cool:

Weighed in this morning at 164lbs I took a quick picture, more will follow when i shower etc

photo120uu8.jpg

1 rep maxes:

Bench - 160lbs or on smith 185lbs
Squat - 205lbs
Powerclean - 155 x 3
Leg press - 315 x 8

Not quite reached my goals but I am very happy with my progress, ken forced me to squat and it has doubled its self in 10 weeks or so, started doing 5 reps of 95lbs and now I can get 5 reps with 205 :D:D:D

Last edited:
Nice work mate. Just out of interest, did you ever learn deadlifts and incorporate them? I saw earlier in the thread you said you were afraid of doing it wrong, but it really is an awesome exercise and like the squat would go up in weight quick and stimulate serious growth.

Either way, excellent progress and keep it up :)

Back
Top Bottom