[Project Log] Progect 77

Permabanned
Picture1_zpse19955df.png

Welcome to my first online build log!

While I am relatively new to the forums as a registered member, I have been lurking and admiring the wonderful projects that you have all being undertaking for quite some time.

Progect 77 will utilize some existing components from the system it is replacing, my ROG CG8480. The 8480 shipped as standard with the following:

P8Z77M Pro
i5 3570K
8GB RAM
ASUS GTX 650
1TB HDD

Since the initial purchase I have made some slight changes. I replaced the stock power supply with a CX600M, added some Corsair AF 120mm fans and switched out the GTX 650 for a GTX 770 (ASUS of course). I have a triple screen rig and wanted something with a bit more oommpphh to game on. A Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD was also added to speed things up. Because I also use the PC for work, it has to handle anything I throw at it and the triple screens really help with organizing everything I need to do.

I admit I bought it a little on impulse as I loved the case. It also gave me a base to work with when I had the time to start tinkering, and now as I finish a custom F1 steering wheel project, Progect 77 will take me into 2015 nicely before a more adventurous project. I have used ASUS components many times and they never fail to deliver, the quality is fantastic and this will be my first venture with a ROG motherboard...excited!

So lets focus on the actual build and show you whats in the pipeline:

Drawing in inspiration from the ROG motherboard series, I wanted to create something a little unique. The ASUS ROG boards have audio separation from the main board as you may know and this blends in to the design.

m5g-supremefx-iii_zps8a3b91ec.jpg

At this point I am still undecided to go with white or black for the main panels, there are some great black and red builds around so I will wait and see on this for now. I am still playing with final design of the inlay and position of items but it gives a good indication of what I am after.

asuswht_zps969f9873.png

FrontPanelw_zps68416410.png

asusblk_zps58a34e6b.png

FrontPanelb_zpsa5af9808.png

The ASUS logo and striping will be back lit with subtle white case lighting to highlight everything else.

I aim to have a really clean, clinical finish with very neatly organised color coordinated cabling and pipework.

The mock ups show a Formula VI, this is to ensure that I have enough room for future upgrades to an ATX board when the time allows.

The component list includes some that I already have and some additions to really make this a great ROG based Z77 build. With my wedding coming up very fast, I will be trying to get a bit done each month and have something near complete in time for Christmas.

I hope you will enjoy following this as much as I have enjoyed the other fantastic builds here at OCUK.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Thanks guys, wanted to try and keep my first project simple in some ways. The main key to this is making sure I am happy using acrylic ready for my next project.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Order now placed with EK and getting the final details together for the acrylic. Thinking of mocking up in foam core before pulling the trigger to ensure everything lines up as it should.

Permabanned
OP
Update 1 - The Before Photos

Ok so, getting on to the before photos. This is what will be left behind, well some of it!

Its slightly dusty and quite messy (cable wise) but will be a good starting point to this project with the donor parts..

IMG_1059_zps6d8d11c4.jpg

IMG_1064_zps627a3b6f.jpg

IMG_1058_zps226fcf66.jpg

IMG_1063_zpscf3e8e99.jpg

IMG_1078_zpsc43f3c61.jpg

And a quick peek at my current rig, excuse the mess and picture quality, the battery was on its way out.

IMG_1089_zps0c689e12.jpg

20140808_114429_zps17c8baa4.jpg

The F1 rim is still a WIP, I am waiting on a friend to produce the decals to finish it all off.

Its a custom T500RS Ferrari F1 rim with a Sim Display fully integrated enclosure, working encoders and switches and a full hydro dip for the carbon. Some rim modders use an external USB cable but I have gone as far as integrating this into the wheel base so that there are no wires to get caught on.

The project started in April so that shows just how much work has gone into producing this rim!

Now just waiting on deliveries to get things moving forward, hurry up postman!

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I like your driving simulator! I'll be following this one for sure!

Thanks Jim, its one of the Pro V3 chassis I designed for my aluminium profile shop but it has been adapted to suit me better. I race quite a lot, mainly iRacing and AC. Looking forward to Project Cars towards the end of the year. Before coming over to triples and PC racing, I ran a league for Gran Turismo and used to have a great bunch together for weekly meets and championships.

The foam core arrived today so I made a start on a model to site all the components, might be a little tight here and there but looking good so far.

EK have confirmed shipment so I will have some new toys hopefully the start of next week to play with!

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Ahh the re-build of a gradually modified pre-build purple shirt special? :D

Yes basically a rebuild using my current components and adding to the upgrades I already have in place. It may not match some of the other great builds here but its more of a tester ready for my next project. I have always wanted to build an acrylic, custom case and this gives me a chance to try my hand and experiment before the new year.

Not too sure on the purple shirt...have I missed something?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
A popular high street PC store which should be far less popular, has employees who wear purple shirts. Its like a whole different "world". :p

Ahhhh, yes, with you now! I actually got the PC from Woolworths I think, I just had to have the case and needed a new desktop rather quickly.

Update 2 - ASUS Gene V

Had an update from DPD, EK parts are arriving Wednesday so I will get some nice photos together. I have not had much time this week, I get married on Saturday so I am hoping to get as much in place ready for when I get back from my honeymoon to really get this going with some real progress.

Despite being older spec, I managed to find a brand new Gene V albeit with a slightly battered box for a good price. First impressions are very good, the build quality looks great. A few snaps for you to peruse...

IMG_1157_zps210e953a.jpg

IMG_1136_zps2e070a62.jpg

IMG_1108_zps1724ec46.jpg

I had a quick play with the Gene V and the 3570K on air cooling, up to 4.4ghz @1.25v on first run. I am new to overclocking but have been doing a lot of reading and will be running Prime95 to ensure all is ok. Will go for a bit more when the system is fully built. So easy to get to 4.4 with some of the guides that are available, I hope 4.5ghz+ is going to be possible!

Picture1_zpsdf709623.png

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
So today I am waist deep in sorting the last bits for our wedding and honeymoon when there is a knock at the door from Mr DPD!

Due to my current time constraints I wont post any pictures. I will be back very soon with some pics and a bit of an update.

Sorry to tease for now, the wife to be needs me!

Last edited:
Associate
First of all: congratulations!
And then I'll be waiting patiently for updates. I had a last minute change of heart myself and went for EK parts and I don't regret it one bit!

Permabanned
OP
Thanks Jim, must admit Im running around like a headless chicken at the moment but it will be worth it when we are laid on that beach!

Yes, very impressed with the parts from EK and I cant wait to get on. Now they are here I can measure up more precisely for holes to be cut in the acylic for the pipework, rad mounting etc

Associate
Thanks Jim, must admit Im running around like a headless chicken at the moment but it will be worth it when we are laid on that beach!

Yes, very impressed with the parts from EK and I cant wait to get on. Now they are here I can measure up more precisely for holes to be cut in the acylic for the pipework, rad mounting etc

I can only imagine! the lady has been hinting at it for the past two years haha.

yeah I've got a huge pile of watercooling stuff next to me waiting to be fitted. I think that I'm going to spend sunday measuring, cutting and bending acrylic tubbing (and swearing. a lot)

Permabanned
OP
Update 3 - The EK Photo Fest

Hi all!

OK so I am now back from a lovely week in the sun with my new wife and ready to get cracking on with the build.

I can only imagine! the lady has been hinting at it for the past two years haha.

yeah I've got a huge pile of watercooling stuff next to me waiting to be fitted. I think that I'm going to spend sunday measuring, cutting and bending acrylic tubbing (and swearing. a lot)

Do it! We had a great day and even the weather turned out nice for us. The day is a bit of a blur, cant believe how fast it went!

So...on to the more important stuff :)

I have had a bit of time today to try and get some pictures of the goodies from EK. I need to get a proper light tent and spend some more time with my DSLR but for my first attempt, I dont think these turned out too bad.

Ok...photo fest time!

EK Supreme LTX CSQ:
IMG_1506_zps338f21ad.jpg

IMG_1596_zps62d7bf96.jpg

IMG_1571_zps22ca228e.jpg

IMG_1587_zps6dc64bbb.jpg

EK LC Coolstream PE 240 Radiator:
IMG_1550_zps88c2ffac.jpg

IMG_1531_zpsb5d3d7b8.jpg

IMG_1508_zps0abcbe15.jpg

Artic MX-2:
IMG_1521_zps528b5e61.jpg

EK CSQ Fitting 10/13mm G1/4 - Black:
IMG_1620_zpse3418d4c.jpg

EK CSQ Extender 8mm G1/4 - Black and PSC Adapter 90° G1/4 Black:
IMG_1636_zps1432b73c.jpg

EK BAY DCP 2.2 Combo Unit (incl. pump) and Aluminium Bezel:
IMG_1652_zpsbbf2de1a.jpg

IMG_1654_zpsda1333f0.jpg

IMG_1515_zpsd315f314.jpg

EK have really thought about the packaging for their products, the boxes themselves are a work of art and keep everything tucked away safe and sound. Loving the color scheme for different product lines:

IMG_1655_zps8c321184.jpg

I still have the back plate, tubing and coolant to add to the above but ran out of time for today. Reiterating what I have said before, the components from EK are built fantastically well from what I have seen so far and I cant wait to get them installed as the build progresses.

And finally....

Got the second SSD today. Running with a SanDisk SDSSDHP 128GB for the OS and a SanDisk SDSSDHP 256GB for Steam/Origin:

IMG_1668_zps913442d7.jpg

My apologies for the photo quality, hopefully with more practice I should end up with some great photos.

Any feedback/advice would be appreciated whether it be regarding the build or photos, its all welcome!

More soon!

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of progress the past couple of weeks.

Something has been bugging me with the design, it just does not feel quite right. I think the striping is too wide, currently at 10mm. I think I may reduce this to 5mm.

The case is to be ordered today and I can then get everything moving on.

Will have a play and reduce the striping down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom