Project : Primo Midas

Associate
Project : Primo Midas + FINAL PICS 1st Post

"The famous King Midas is popularly remembered in Greek mythology for his ability to turn everything he touched into gold. This came to be called the Golden touch, or the Midas touch."

YN1k59R.jpg

Ok so that's kinda an intro to my build, flair for the dramatic perhaps. My original build plan involved the use of the Asus X79 Extreme Black Edition, however I had a change of heart due to the delays affecting this board. So I went for the other board that Asus have managed to get out and I'm sure you've guessed by now, based on my intro which one I'm talking about.

Rh6D5Jk.jpg replaced with FBvTBy3l.jpg

That's right the Asus X79 Deluxe... EDIT: Replaced with Asus Z10PE-D8-WS

So where is this going to reside, of course you already know that to, if you read the project log title properly....

2M8T09x.jpg

Ok don't worry I won't post too many more pics in the intro, well maybe a couple. ;)

Here is my parts list... (Old spec before upgrades)

Phantek Enthoo Primo
Asus X79 Deluxe Motherboard
Intel 4930k CPU
EVGA Nvidia GTX 780Ti in Sli
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
Avexir MPower Yellow Series 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Quad Channel Memory Kit
Dual Samsung 256GB SSD 840 PRO's

There won't be an optical drive I bought and external one for installing physical media if and when I need to.

So looks like pretty hot stuff right? Well we need to cool this sucker somehow, lets start with....

CPU - EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ - Gold
XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo V2
Dual EK-CoolStream RAD XTX 480's
Monsoon 16/11mm (ID 7/16 OD 5/8) Free Center Compression Fitting
Primochill Primoflex Advanced Tubing 16/11 - Black
Corsair SP120 Performance Series High Pressure 120mm Fans

EDITED 7th Oct 2015

As many of you know I changed the spec and upgraded Midas to a dual CPU Compute/Folding@Home monster. Thanks for following my log over this long time but here are the new FINAL pics

The full Album is public here --->>> http://imgur.com/a/0bURH

uUgf2JDl.jpg wTCBoCBl.jpg k4bBa7al.jpg
JHO9KFLl.jpg 5BrSN9ol.jpg 4YwsRLSl.jpg
jcaiSUil.jpg ddF9COhl.jpg Fd7CkWOl.jpg
00HKrUFl.jpg e4aiPwNl.jpg
KTzLIA6l.jpg yQEs5Idl.jpg
Qw8M9hAl.jpg FEJDOOrl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You are limited on how wide the bottom rad can be.

If your not modding the bottom, the rad you chose is too wide - max that natively fits is 124mm

Rads that I know fit are

EX 480
RX 480
EK-CoolStream RAD XT 480
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480mm
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 480mm

Hope this helps

Associate
OP
You are limited on how wide the bottom rad can be.

If your not modding the bottom, the rad you chose is too wide - max that natively fits is 124mm

Rads that I know fit are

EX 480
RX 480
EK-CoolStream RAD XT 480
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480mm
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 480mm

Hope this helps

Seems like every guy out there I was more concerned with length and forgot to check the girth ! :D I just looked up this drawing and it states 125mm.

jLaZCk1.png

So I have a 5mm to account for, well I shall have a look once it arrives and see if I can engineer a solution and go from there.

Just goes to show even after all the research I've done how easy it is to overlook the obvious. Thanks for the spot....scott

Last edited:
Soldato
ooou a build log!!! As mentioned previously this is gonna be one hell of a machine, cant wait to see it progess!

special mention to Davido_Labido who has already given some great advice and answered my queries, he's a busy guy and I thank you for your time sir

any time man! any time at all!! let me know if you need a hand with any of the sleeving! ;)

Associate
OP
Small update for today, EK have released their 780 Ti blocks :D

Now its looks like no stock already but on their FB page they urge people to just go ahead and order as they refresh their stock page every 4 hours. Demand is high.

So taking them to their word of course I ordered two of each of these bad boys !

gX1bvrC.jpg OUPWv6L.jpg

Possible graphic for the top card backplate, or maybe even both... Just thinking out loud here, as I was experimenting on small highlights that may or not be used. The water loop may obscure it to a certain degree now that I think about it.
bNKZnyi.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
*UPDATE*

Ok guys good news, some lovely boxes have arrived :D

Bad news is when I was opening the Rad boxes I found this :(

ONuMBvR.jpg zT9XiSb.jpg m9k65nh.jpg

The inside of the large box all the parts came in, note the hole punched through.

FGQJhRu.jpg

Here the hole punched into the EK- Coolstream XTX 480 box (Which was sat directly above the hole in the exterior box. So guess someone wasn't too careful handling it ! :mad:

cMZ7zOZ.jpg

So RMA request already sent. Now I guess you want to see the good stuff now? OK here we go, excuse the pics my dslr battery was dead.

YbdvoBJ.jpg PHtKBG9.jpg 07RD0Fg.jpg UBB7Fyj.jpg uyUL3sv.jpg 3fIyLuP.jpg UzuG4F2.jpg XWv6DFw.jpg KwhMdB9.jpg WT61jcK.jpg
Rt5xUqi.jpg zgGzC1b.jpg 6qbHAMF.jpg 7YmDX0N.jpg xGjocqE.jpg
mMvLkql.jpg

Its one big case for sure but I love it ! Oh and I test fitted my good rad in the bottom and it fits fine, except when you come to the forward panel. I'll have a go at removing it later to let you know for sure if the XTX 480 will fit all the way along, as you know its 5mm too wide according to Phantek limit of 125mm width.

The reason there is no motherboard, ssd or cpu in the pics is because I have already have them over a month ago. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
colinmcr, are you still planning on modding the optical cage side panel to accommodate your XTX 480? I was looking at it and thinking a person could cut a section out of the flat and notch the 'C' post part 6-7mm. Would need to install radiator before re-installing panel but should still have reasonable strength remaining in panel. Haven't actually removed panel so could be wrong. Wife says I'm wrong most the time anyway. ;)

Associate
OP
colinmcr, are you still planning on modding the optical cage side panel to accommodate your XTX 480? I was looking at it and thinking a person could cut a section out of the flat and notch the 'C' post part 6-7mm. Would need to install radiator before re-installing panel but should still have reasonable strength remaining in panel. Haven't actually removed panel so could be wrong. Wife says I'm wrong most the time anyway. ;)

I will have a look tonight see what can be done for sure. I'm sure someone else on the case forum has already chopped out the section. I haven't had a good look yet, just got back from India so jet lag is catching up with me. I'm sure on the ModZoo youtube video they got in a monsta 480 push/pull, but its narrower.

Associate
OP
*UPDATE*

Ok guys ignoring the urge to sleep I've stripped out the case for your pleasure. Want the good news? I thought so! So this first pic will show you that yes indeed you can squeeze a 480 XTX in there at the bottom ;) But there will be some modding to refit the bay panel (just not all of it) Also note the front mounted fans are still in situ :D

EbyLAun.jpg

As you can see there is a fair bit of sag in the optical bay once you remove the side bay panel. Might have an idea to solve that if I don't hack the bay panel in half.

oBAQWVW.jpg

Now the side bay panel has a folded seam, it might be possible to cut this section away and still have the look of the panel see pic.Might just be simpler just cutting the panel in half, I will try the seam first as got nothing to lose if I decided to chop the panel in half anyway.

2sGy0T4.jpg

Here's the rad in the top

lKZqT4X.jpg

Anyway off to bed ! :o

Back
Top Bottom