Project: TJ07 Revived

Associate
OP
So, I've been busy with work and other things, however I thought I'd make good use of a bank holiday.

So I spent a day re-cutting cable management and tubing holes in the mid plate and the motherboard tray using my Dremel 3000 and a hacksaw and then filing it down a bit to stop my fingers bleeding! I then wrapped the midplate in Black vinyl. Still need to Drill 4 3mm holes in the mobo tray for the Reservoir and Pump and to then wrap it in matt black vinyl as well. Not very worried about the finish on the mobo tray since it will be wrapped in vinyl!

20160502_171858.jpg

20160504_013544.jpg

I also got one of these:

45306_neu552b676507ec1.jpg

Alphacool Repack - Dual Laing D5 Dual Bay Reservoir

I just like having a bay res and also can put my spare Dual D5's to use. Now at this point I can have dual or triple loops as this Res can support dual loops on its own and the AquaComputer Res/Pump as a 3rd. If I had multiple GPU's that would be beneficial but I'm just going to stick it all in one loop with the three Rad's and maybe use more 45 and 90 degree fittings than I would without the extra pumps!

The next thing I need to plan is whether I need a fill port and bulkhead fitting on the top of my case, I'll need a step drill bit to do it if I want it. I don't think I can fill the AquaComputer Reservoir due to the lack of space above it so I might need to, assuming that Res has a G1/4 thread that I can thread a tube into. Has anyone done anything like this? How would you fit a fillport to the top of this Reservoir using one of these Bulkhead fittings on top of the case?

ex_tub_168.jpg

I'm also considering sticking bulkhead fittings on the midplate as a well known YouTuber does on his builds but then I realised I cut a huge chunk out where I needed to drill a hole, however I think the fitting can still be held in place as the diameter is wider than the hole I cut so it will hold with the ring screwed into place! I think I'll need to place something to hold it in place..

ek_af_pass_through_nickel_1_800.jpg

EK-AF Pass-Through G1/4 - Nickel

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looking forward to this, still have my TJ07 with i7 920 as the main rig. Just be updating the GPU.

Thanks for your interest.

So I ordered a Bitspower Case Top Water Fill/ Through Hole Fitting Set in Silver from our friends here at OCUK and a Bitspower stop end cap to match it :)

Got some scary case drilling to do when it arrives! I will start it off by drilling a hole to start it off before I go and destroy the case with the step drill bit! I got a pretty decent titanium coated HSS bit so it should be able to handle the thickness of the steel case. (I still love just how solid this case is even if its so hard to cut!)

I'm going to try and make the fill port either directly above the Res and hopefully have a straight down tube into the Res or if I can't then I'll just offset the fillport more towards the front and have a longer tube going to it.

I can also still fill up using the Alphacool bay res as it has a front fill port. Having two fill ports would make filling and draining easier as I will have a couple of drain ports at the lowest end of the loop with the Rad's in the bottom, and opening up those fill ports to allow air in and then the drain valves should help drain those horizontal rad's more easily instead of simply shaking the hell out of it!

Associate
OP
Ok, so this us what the Motherboard looks like after sticking on the black Vinyl

20160505_005138.jpg

P.S: Yes I've lost a Motherboard Standoff/Stud in the top right corner of the motherboard and can't find the spares :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Time to cut a hole for the Fill Loop with the step drill bit:
20160506_223808.jpg

That's a lot of steel filings...
20160506_224636.jpg

Filing down the hole as it was a bit rough:
20160506_225934.jpg

Close ups of the Fill Port screwed in nice and tight:
20160506_230033.jpg

20160506_230155.jpg

Yeah I know I kinda scratched the top a bit :(. Ah well!

It looks worse in the close up than it appears. It's not that noticeable to the eye

Associate
OP
New Update:

I'm applied the OCUK Sound Dampening to the basement of my case and also going to put it in the mid plate to cover it all up. The dampening looks fantastic. I've had it since this Project Log started but didn't open the box until now, but it looks great.

Pics to follow.

Also I somehow lost the screws for my EK mosfet and chipset blocks so contacted EK to get these. Then I can start planning out the loop.

I got another set of 3x matching 12GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 CL9 so I now have 24GB of RAM.

I'm trying to decide whether to get RAM waterblocks (Plexi) for these, more so for aesthetics than actual cooling lol.

Associate
OP
Sleeving!

Almost forgot but I need to sleeve the Scythe GT's, the pump wire and the front panel connectors (everything else has a black or white sleeve so looks ok)

Can anyone recommend any sleeving and what size I would need?

Soldato
Teleios is also supposed to be good. I've not tried either (going to try paracord instead) but it seems to be one of those things that some people swear MDPC-X is better than Teleios and others the reverse. I suspect there's not much in it - but that could just be that I'm cynical :D Teleios seems to come in 4mm for single wires, fans etc and 8mm for SATA cables. I would hope that means those are the right sizes....but I haven't tried it.

I believe http://www.CaseKing.de sell MDPC-X. I hope that's not classified as posting a competitor link - being as it's a sister company.

Soldato
I tried looking for that everywhere but I can't find it :(

Check trust :)

Teleios is also supposed to be good. I've not tried either (going to try paracord instead) but it seems to be one of those things that some people swear MDPC-X is better than Teleios and others the reverse. I suspect there's not much in it - but that could just be that I'm cynical :D Teleios seems to come in 4mm for single wires, fans etc and 8mm for SATA cables. I would hope that means those are the right sizes....but I haven't tried it.

I believe http://www.CaseKing.de sell MDPC-X. I hope that's not classified as posting a competitor link - being as it's a sister company.

I've used both.

Teleios is indeed quite nice, and one would have real difficulty in distinguishing Teleios apart from MDPC-X (apart from the fact that MDPC-X is a bit thicker than Teleios). But it's like Bitspower vs Barrow fittings, MDPC-X sleeving is a lot smoother and just feel right when you're holding them in your hand, and Teleios feels rough.

But yes, if you were in a budget, Teleios would be my second choice. But MDPC-X is the best in the market period :)

Associate
OP
Update: I mounted the SP120's with the Magiccool Rad in the top but even with the very slim Rad, the fans touch the 8pin CPU power connector. I'm going to have to go with one of these Fans:

:: Coolermaster Xtraflo Slim (15mm) but has high static pressure. (can't seem to find these)

:: Silverstone SST-FN123 FN Series Fan 1215 - (15mm but has that Gentle Typhoon fin design so high static pressure, I can find these everywhere)

:: Gelid PQ284 (15mm) - another slim fan which has UV Blue and is UV reactive however I'm not sure if it's got good static pressure.

::Yate Loon D12SM-12C 120x20 Fan

I might go for two more of the SP120's and stick 4 of them on the front of my 480 Rad in the basement for Push, and use the GT's I have as Pull. Depends on if it will fit and bottom tubing orientation. They probably will go straight up into the midplate as there are holes I made (accidentally cut too much for the bulkhead fittings, but oh well)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks like one expensive but badass build.

Yeah definitely expensive, I can't remember how much I've spent on this and now that the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 have been announced my 980ti is going to drop pretty hard on price on the Pascal release date next week before I even get it fitted in my rig! This build is going quite slow, I usually get a build rushed in a week lol but I've had this rig taken apart for months for modding and taking my time and trying not to rush it and make it half arsed.
The machine I have the 980ti in temporarily has a i5-3470T which in the machine I have it in can't be overclocked very far (has one of those zalman low profile coolers and random sticks of RAM) and I think it's bottlenecking the GPU in games where I expected it to get much higher fps, but the i7 950 I have overclocks to about 4.4Ghz stable and it's still fast so it should be fine which is why I didn't bother upgrading to Skylake.

I'll probably wait til the Ti release (Or even a new Titan) before I swap out the 980Ti (and switch to Skylake or newer). Probably won't get another to SLI as the power/price/performance of going straight to Pascal will be far greater going by the benchmarks!

Associate
OP
If you're still looking at slim fans, have you considered the Prolimatech Ultra Slim Vortex?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/prolimatech-ultra-sleek-vortex-120mm-fg-011-pl.html

15mm thick, 120mm size, PWM too.

Just looked at those:
Code:
Static Pressure: 0.9 mmH2O

The static pressure is quite mediocre on that fan.

You can tell just from looking at the Blade Design they're not good for static pressure from the shape and because the blades aren't close together enough, that's more a case fan just for airflow.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

I ordered the SilverStone SST-FN123, they're 2000rpm fans and have Static Pressure 1.52mmH2O.

They're also 15mm and quiet. They're like slim Gentle Typhoons which is great since I have a ton of those. Although I'm going to use the two corsair sp120 and buy another 2 for the front 480 Rad and use the GT's for pull and push/pull on the 284.

fn123-34.jpg

More pics of my progress to follow.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
New Idea:

Using the sound dampening, thanks OCUK! Should reduce any fan vibration if I feel like cranking all those GT's and SP120's high (although to be fair they're very quiet when cranked halfway)

Pics of the midplate with the dampening coming soon. I think it looks good! It will cover the whole plate and make it look nice and clean without the cut holes, which I didn't plan out properly with regards to only cutting just enough for tubes to go through instead of massive holes! I didn't plan out the tube placement. Feed tubing through by cutting just enough of the dampening and obviously cutting noise and vibration without needing a midplate top should fix that.
20160512_014823.jpg

20160512_014939.jpg

(Yep I know I need to sleeve the FP Connectors! Soooooooooonnn)

20160512_014944.jpg

This is what the top mounted RAD looked like with the SP120's before I realised they were too thick and blocked my CPU 8 pin Power header (Should have looked at other projects where they used slim fan's d'oh!). Still trying to peel off that very strong double sided tape. That no more nails stuff really is tough isn't it! I didn't bother sleeving these, they are very thin black cables anyway, probably too thin for even 3mm sleeving.

20160512_015013.jpg

You can see the fitting from the fillport bulkhead fitting from the top of the case here, it should drop right above the Res.

(Not sure if it will create havoc with the fill level sensor in my Aquaero pump adapter or if I need to screw the membrane into the top of the fill port but I guess we'll find out soon enough)

20160512_015032.jpg

My very poor attempt at cable sleeving. It'll be in the basement so it won't be seen but still it irritates my OCD :o. This was with cheap 4mm sleeving. I will be re-sleeving with 3mm TechFlex 3.2mm sleeving from OCUK and very tight 4mm heatshrink from a cable mod seller and try to make the heatshrink look better. not sure whether to put heatshrink around the connector like others have done on youtube or just try to keep the cable straight without it bending due to the heatshrink pressure. I guess I'll have to experiment which is why I bought extra in case I need it.

20160514_172829.jpg

20160514_174937.jpg

20160514_174951.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom