Project - Yet another 800D

Associate
yeah I have just bought one, on air cooling and a h50 atm but watercooling is planned and there is no way im cutting holes in it, everything will fit as is I know this means I will be limited to certain product choices but I would rather have that than butcher the case :)

Associate
OP
Oi, Im not butchering it! Im moddin' it :)

Anyways, wait till you see the finished article, if it goes anything like the picture in my head. Its gonna be sexeh, imo atleast.

Sir Sexy legs? Moi? Why thank you, good sir.

I have bought the tubing, went for blue in the end

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Still waiting on the grill, but my D5 XTOP rev.2 arrived and some other nick nacks.

Also, spoke to the Powder coater, just got to decide on a price and get it done now.

Associate
OP
So, the case is now stripped and ready to go to the powder coaters, Mastercote UK will be doing the work, and it should look sweet.

Pics are crappy, as I used my phone:

Photo0729.jpg

Photo0730.jpg

Photo0731.jpg

Photo0732.jpg

The front panels had quite a fair bit of plastic on them that needed removing, but it all cam off the main unit:

Photo0733.jpg

Photo0734.jpg

The annoying thing is that the 5.25" covers and the panel at the top holding the power, reset switch and the front audio, USB etc have very thin pieces of alu glued into plastic. These will be no good for the powder coating, and I tried to remove it from one cover and ruined it :/

Photo0735.jpg

Photo0736.jpg

Photo0737.jpg

The side window proved to be more trouble than I anticipated, as for some reason 2 of the bolts are set flush with the perspex, making them difficult to remove

Photo0738.jpg

But I got it out.

So, my D5 XTOP rev.2 has arrived and I had a dry run of mounting that and the res, and that went well, so Im pleased with that. Once its all back from the Powder coaters Im all set to build it.

Which brings me to colour, I have a lovely deep blue feser tubing, but my favourite colour is green. So, Im having a slight problem nailing a colour. but heres the short list:

a_RAL-6018-May-Green-Large_1.jpg

RAL4005
99599.jpg

tikkurila_ral_5012.gif

Or RAL 5002 - which about matches the tubing
RAL-5002-Ultramarinblau.gif

Associate
I thought abt keeping with the vw theme ;
DSC02024-1.jpg

but having put it together I cba to change from black :)
my 2nd loop arrived just now so will follow your bottom bay cut out later, hoping a triple will fit
( colour is jazz blue )

Associate
OP
Fitting a triple is tight down there. I had to cut out the front for the rad to extend out. But it all depends on your PSU really. Mines 7" long which makes it super tight to fit the triple in.

But, its doable ;)

But 2nd loop eh? Im in 2 minds about having 2 loops. The original plan was for 2 loops, so I bought a second pump. But then I decided with a 140.3 and a 120.3 they are ample for an i7 at >=4GHz and my 5870. I keep toying with the idea of cooling the chipset. but I dont think Ill gain anything in terms of overclocking, so would rather sink the money into an SSD.

But oppinions are welcomed, as I do have a spare pump and res.

EDIT:

Also, a little FYI, in my pics of the bottom rad cut out, the feet are on. Incase you didnt know, under the rubbers on the feet, if you push a screwdriver down the edge of the rubber on the outsides of the case, youll hit philip head screws, one each side. Taking the feet off will make it all a lot easier. I did mine with the feet off.

Last edited:
Associate
Just looking at stripping it out..
reason I as going for 2 loops, in this build
I worried fitting the 5970 to loop after the CPU wouldnt be enough, I also couldnt think what else to do with the bottom space, also to try without the case 140mm fans.
My HX620 PSU is only 150mm, so a bit more room, I think I will try to leave the cage support near the wiring side in place to support

and I had a 360 rad spare..., else maybe a 280 would have been better

Associate
At least I can blame u if it doesnt go back together !!

P1010949.jpg

thanks for the feet heads up !

P1010951.jpg

looking forward to making a mod log for it when its done, have you seen the one of the corsair site ?

Associate
OP
haha, hopefully it will be. He asked me what gloss level I wanted, and my inner geek failed me and nothing but an awkwardly spoken "well, glossy". He lol'd and said 70% gloss would be perfect. So I duly agreed.

Associate
OP
Pick the case up Friday afternoon. Though the grill still hasnt arrived, but I figure I may just build it and await the grill, then just bolt that on after its been powder coated

Back
Top Bottom