Prometheus 2 - what we know so far

Lets be honest they can't explain why everyone did what they did in Prometheus. The reason for this is that it just made no sense, right down to the two scientists who chose to hide in the scariest, creepiest part of the ship, to then, getting over all their fears, prodding an alien life form. Simple human behavior was ignored as a means to forward a 'plot'.

It was just an awful film that insulted the viewers intelligence from one scene to the next. (writing as a child of the 80's remembering the first time I saw Aliens)

Soldato
Prometheus had all the promise of an amazing sci-fi film: Great cast, good director, brilliant set design, audio design, score, cinematography, art direction and locations...

But it seems like no one bothered to give the script a good once over. All the potential of the cast is wasted in film which made up of about roughly 80% of the dialogue being "where is he going? why is he doing that?" etc. Inane dialogue and scripting which ignores the most fundamental rule of being a writer - show and don't tell. Which is baffling madness because Ridley Scott is really good at the showing bit.

With a new writer on board, as is rumoured, the second one should hopefully be better.

Soldato
You can't lay all the blame for an audience failing to suspend disbelief with the audience. I daresay you can't lay the majority of the blame with the audience.

This.

Suspension of disbelief is key when it comes to sci-fi. It is, however, when the character act contrary to how they have been acting for the rest of the film, when the verisimilitude is broken, that a film fails.

Also, the attempted creation of a new mythos is very noble, but when half the stuff in the film which is deliberately left open ended has no on screen clues as to what the solution to the mysteries might be, and we require extra diagetic sources to tell us what it meant, unfortunately means that the film fails due to its own rubbish logic.

The more I think about this film, the more I realise that the script is full of amateur mistakes.

Soldato
Aliens is fantastic, but Alien stands out on its own as one of the most visionary pieces of cinema ever created. When I was younger I used to like Aliens better because of the action, but as I got older I realised it isn't on anywhere near the same level as Alien.

Associate
Poisoning the lead chap with the black gunk, there was no basis for the action bar psychosis. A quality not usually possessed by androids.

Really? This was one of the only parts of the film that actually worked.
David is motivated by finding a solution to his makers ageing, is told to "try harder", is not constrained by morality. Nothing psychotic about it.

Soldato
Really? This was one of the only parts of the film that actually worked.
David is motivated by finding a solution to his makers ageing, is told to "try harder", is not constrained by morality. Nothing psychotic about it.

I disagree that it worked as a part of the film.
The crew were there due to one man's revelation, the guy he poisioned.
He had an entire crew to pick from, and instead of chosing a redshirt of some description, he picks the only person within the crew who might be able to figure out just what is occurring.
He does this after being show the holograms of the engineers fleeing their own creations, so he will alreafy be certain he is fleeing a creation, not a founder itself.
As a concept in finding immortality it fails.

Even to the degree that we have no idea od the androids motives, as we still have no voice over for his eventual final conversation, do we? It wasn't in any actual release was it?

The initial film remains awful. Conceptually and in implementation.

Associate
Not enough back story in the first movie. Lots of sillyness going on too. But it is part of the Alien franchise and because of that the more films the better. I just hope they take in the criticisms of the first and try and improve on them.

And to those saying Alien 4 was better than number 3 or even the first need to book an appointment down with their GP. Haha. Whilst 3 was slow it was a good movie :).

Soldato
I just wish they hadn't bothered at all. The Space Jockey was always one of the most awesome unexplained things in sci-fi movie history. This back-story is just rubbish and totally destroys that whole "mystique" in the most clumsy way imaginable. The implied back-story and feeling of "WTF?" when seeing the Space Jokey in Alien is thousands of times more effective than this new story.

Soldato
I prefer not to think about Alien when looking at Prometheus. It was more about universal theme building and the over arching story. The actual characters and script were atrocious however :p

Now that they got rid of the turd "Lost" script writer, I'm hoping this one will be great. I'm genuinely interested in where the story will go seeing how the first movie ends.

Caporegime
I was concerned that the uber scientists ran instead of standing and banging or using um...safety glass and stuff?

On the one and they have interstellar flight, they can terraform worlds but they conduct science experiments in a cave not an enclosed facilities?

Associate
Say no to Damon Lindelof

Say no to copying Chariots of the Gods again

Say no to choosing the most ludicrous plot lines (lets make friends with this snake thing)

Say no to prequel shovelware

v0n

v0n

Soldato
There are things we cannot undo, repair, fix or forget in Alien universe.

We cannot undo that the of two most brilliant movies in history of Sci Fi were followed by half baked Chronicle of Riddick'esque prison story and whatever-the-f-that-es-with-Winona-was-supposed-to-be.

We cannot repair the fact that before crew of Nostromo saw egg pods onboard Space Jockey's ship for the first time, xenomorphs were long battling Predators in pyramids under Antarctica's ice caps. Thanks very ****** much, AvP extended universe.

We cannot fix the fact Damon "let's spend 24 episodes on discovering that "special" Walt was not special at all" Lindel-ef-off was hired to butcher prequel to Alien into an outside-of-Alien-universe barely-Alien-adjacent mish-mash and could not be bothered to familiarise himself with the universe itself nor proofread his own rectal seepage of a screenplay.

But we should not forget that it is not too late to stop participating in destruction of the legacy and legend of the first two movies. After all, do you even care what happens to girl with a dragon tattoo on the planet of waxy men and their magically universal goo?

Don
Like when those two guys end up stranded in the alien complex for the night. One of the most significant things to happen in the history of science. Do the other scientists stay in contact and continue monitoring them via voice comms and cameras? - no, they all go to bed and leave them to get munched XD
The captain was supposed to be monitoring them, but he was ****ing Theron's character.

Soldato
liked the first one, pretty skeptical about this sequel though

people get all stupid about films, they have forgotten how to suspended their disbelief

"Oh my god man, it's just a movie. Just enjoy it for what it is!"

Sorry, but the film was bad. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far. It does not stretch to characters (including scientists and highly paid corporate whatevers) behaving like utterly oblivious morons.

Too much facepalm.

Back
Top Bottom