[PS3] Firmware 1.82

Permabanned
Hey everyone, you told us you wanted to hear about updates a few days in advance, so here’s a quick heads up that we have a PS3 firmware update in the works. Scheduled for release in the next few days, firmware 1.82 is an update that enables the playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) files. As most of you know, these are high quality files that you’ll now be able to play on your PS3. Hopefully this update is moving us closer to the audio playback features many of you commented about in my post the other week. We’re continuing to evaluate and improve things across the board, including PS2 software compatibility. I’ll chime in here quickly with an update once the firmware is live and ready. Thanks for all of your support and feedback, keep it coming!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/06/26/firmware-182-coming-soon/

No big deal for me watch all my stuff on the PC but I'm sure some people will be happy to hear it. :)

Soldato
I've heard a lot of complaints about the regular firmware updates for the PS3, but for me I have to say I much prefer this model than the twice a year model Microsoft uses.

It's no real hassle to take 5 minutes out every now and then to download them, and at least if the update has nothing useful for you, you know you don't have to wait another 6 months for another update which may have features that you find useful.

Soldato
This particular update doesnt bother me- but Im sure it will to some.

As to updates being too frequent - Sony are doing their best to improve the general usage of the PS3 and for people to be happier (although admittedly this will drive sales up in general Im sure) but I cant see what there is to complain about as stated even the large updates take a couple of minutes to d/l and install/reboot so its not a huge amount of time

Permabanned
Most of the TV rips on the internet are High Profile.

Red Kawas PS3 Video 9 helped trick the ps3 into playing these. I hope it works for 1080p content too as PS3 Video9 had trouble with these.

Permabanned
OP
wedgie said:
Do we class the 'real' updates as 1.90, 2.0, 2.1 etc, and those inbetween as mini fixes?
I guess, wonder if they will make a 1.9 or just jump to 2.0.

2.0 is going to be great when it becomes available though. :cool:

Soldato
its really good to know sony are listening to what people want and them implementing it.

pretty sure flac will come soon , sure my fairly old sony mp3 player played it

Soldato
Inoshishi said:
Think there will ever be .avi support?

I think during the Q&A with PS3 engineers i seen posted on here, they have a reluctance to support it/it's codecs because they are not actually a recognized industry standard, so Sony, in order to essentially protect themselves and 'protect the quality of the product', per se, wont do it.
If it was a licensing thing, most folk would pay like 5 bucks to enable the codecs, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Soldato
will they ever add 1080/48 output via firmware? :(. I'm thinking of buying a PS3 this week to be used as a blu-ray player, but my TV only supports 1080/48 so I'll end up with the 3:2 pulldown.

Back
Top Bottom