PS3 Good time to buy?

Associate
Hi guys, have been looking on the 'net, and seen the 40gb PS4 for under £300-00 is it a worthwhile purchase, or is it worth a wait to see if the price falls further?

From what I can see, the only difference from the 60GB hard drive is you can't play PS2 games - is this correct?

Associate
Well, smaller HD isn't a problem - there's instructions with it to change the HD anyway. If you don't want to play older PS2 games then there is no problem. If you want to get photos etc off of flash cards you can still use a USB flash card reader.

If you only want to play PS3 games, and downloaded games from PSN, then fine... go ahead!

Soldato
So in effect, for the "average" gamer who wants a quick bash (so to speak), it's not major loss then really?

If your not interested in playing PS2 games, or looking at photo's on your PS3, grab one and enjoy it :)

Don't worry too much about the HDD size, it is very simple to replace and they're cheap now too.

Associate
Would you recommend it over the '360, or is the difference in gameplay very slight?

No point arguing over specifications, the 360 has a more powerful GPU, PS3 has a more powerful CPU, of course - that's if the developers utilise each system to the best of it's ability!

So.... To put it simply, there won't be much difference between games that are published on both systems. So get the console which has the most exclusive games that appeal to you.

Soldato
Would you recommend it over the '360, or is the difference in gameplay very slight?

Most PS3 owners would be hard pushed to suggest a PS3 over a 360 if you just want gaming :)

Try out both if you can, PGR4 will probably show you the right way ;) depends what games you like really, go to the highstreet and play the demo pods :)

Caporegime

Oh no. Now you did it. Seriously... :p

If you want a games machine, as of right now it HAS to be the Xbox360 which offers the stronger past and current catalogue of games. Also, anyone who says "The games will come out on the PC eventually" are grasping at straws for the most part. Yes, the games may come out eventually, but we still haven't seen games like Mass Effect, PGR, Forza, Assassins Creed, Dead Rising or Burnout, and they are all massive releases for the console.

I have all 5 current consoles, so I'm in a privileged position, but if I were to lose them all tomorrow and could only afford to buy one back it would be the Xbox360 every single day of the week.

For me:
  • Better catalogue of past games
  • Better catalogue of present games
  • Better controller
  • Better online
  • Cheaper
  • Connectivity with PC monitors
  • Website integrations on Xbox.com
  • Achievements
  • Larger friends list with OcUK users
  • Alan Wake and Grand Theft Auto 4 (+episodes)
  • Alan Wake
  • HD Download Service
  • Alan Wake
  • DivX and XviD playback

Caporegime
Oh no. Now you did it. Seriously... :p

If you want a games machine, as of right now it HAS to be the Xbox360 which offers the stronger past and current catalogue of games. Also, anyone who says "The games will come out on the PC eventually" are grasping at straws for the most part. Yes, the games may come out eventually, but we still haven't seen games like Mass Effect, PGR, Forza, Assassins Creed, Dead Rising or Burnout, and they are all massive releases for the console.

I have all 5 current consoles, so I'm in a privileged position, but if I were to lose them all tomorrow and could only afford to buy one back it would be the Xbox360 every single day of the week.

For me:
  • Better catalogue of past games
  • Better catalogue of present games
  • Better controller
  • Better online
  • Cheaper
  • Connectivity with PC monitors
  • Website integrations on Xbox.com
  • Achievements
  • Larger friends list with OcUK users
  • Alan Wake and Grand Theft Auto 4 (+episodes)
  • Alan Wake
  • HD Download Service
  • Alan Wake
  • DivX and XviD playback

Steady on... I know you like the 360 but the divx/xvid ain't here yet!!! :p

And what is this Alan Wake you speak of (multiple times :D ).

rp2000

Associate
Smaller HD, no PS2 backwards compatiblity, only 2 USB sockets, no flash card reader.

Flash card reader - any works.. just plug into usb - fixed
2 usb sockets - buy cheap 4 port usb hub.. plug in - fixed
ps2 backwards compatability - wait for new EVEN SMALLER and CHEAPER ps2 to come out 2008 (£60-70 retail price est.) - fixed
smaller hdd - buy big one from ocuk - fixed
+ ppl that say there arnt many games.. theres tons of great ones in the works!
+ 40GB ps3 runs cooler and quieter
+ works with the even more popular psp
GET ONE!

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's here tomorrow though!
I could have waited, but I thought better of it :p

It's just another game that's coming out, nothing special. :p.

Don't waste time downloading no stupid 360 update. Heroes is on tomorrow (everything in life is stupid compared to Heroes).

rp2000

Hopefully the best game on 360/VISTA for 2008
Edit: I was just jesting. (and fixed).

Soldato
Hi guys, have been looking on the 'net, and seen the 40gb PS4 for under £300-00 is it a worthwhile purchase, or is it worth a wait to see if the price falls further?

From what I can see, the only difference from the 60GB hard drive is you can't play PS2 games - is this correct?

Yes its a good time to buy, like all things electrical though it will reduce in price in time, but i cant see a price drop for a long while yet, more likely to be a value pack ie bundled with an extra controller and games etc. If your not in a rush to get one there will be better deals in the new sales i would think though.

Caporegime
But we couldn't possibly comment on the downloading of episode 11 of season 2 of Heroes now could we. I could never condone it.
All I'm going to say is that the bandwidth for the 'Fall' update comes second tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom