PS3 to be £425 Official

XPE

XPE

Soldato
mpy32 said:
with the pc its just endless hardware upgrades and game patches

consoles are just pick up and play in todays market £425 is nothing

Hadn’t xbox games in the past needed patches ?, console games are becoming very complicated and because of this patch will become a more common thing :(

Soldato
I still think that Sony ( and MS to some extent) are aiming NEW consoles at people with disposable income, like 20 and 30 somethings ( the people who bought the Original PlayStation for example) rather than 15 or 16 year olds and younger.

Remember kids dont have £50 or so to spend on a new game that often either which also points to the higher age groups being the target audience. Everyone knows that Sony and MS make money on the software, which they wont do very quickly if Timmy only gets one game for a bday and one for Xmas - for example. The corporations are hoping that each console will sell 6 to ten games a year at minimum I would guess.

Once the initial wave of either console as calmed down, then they reduce the costs for others to get in on the act and by this time there is a whole stockpile of used games or budget releases to also tempt the younger buyers with less money.

Good point now consoles are reliant on hdd ( as MS has started indicating this) and they are attached to the internet, its only a matter of time before console software becomes as patched up as PC software imo

Soldato
mpy32 said:
but looking at your sig you seem to have a top of the range graphics card retailing at between £300 and £400 pound (more if you bought it at launch that will be top of the tree until the autumn)

but you bulk at £425 for a console that will last 5 years :D

PCs generally produce better quality images, and the X1900XT is faster than anything in the PS3 or the 360.

Soldato
Is it wrong to hope that Blu-Ray goes nowhere and the P$£ is a bit of a flop for $ony?

£425 is an obsurd amount of money for most people to fork out for a console, Im gonna be Wii'ing all the way

Caporegime
Squark said:
Is it wrong to hope that Blu-Ray goes nowhere and the P$£ is a bit of a flop for $ony?

£425 is an obsurd amount of money for most people to fork out for a console, Im gonna be Wii'ing all the way

We should hope no one is stupid enough to buy it at launch and waits till the price is reduced.

Soldato
Tommy B said:
It's true. The PS3 and 360 make up for the performance by having incredibly fast CPUs. The graphics in the PS3/360 are one generation old apparently.

The Xenos (360 R500 GPU) is in fact one generation newer than anything on the PC.

It is most closely related to the upcoming R600 GPU from ATI.

It also cannot be compared to anything currently out for the pc as the architecture is hugely different. (unified shaders, on die ram etc)

Soldato
oweneades said:
The Xenos (360 R500 GPU) is in fact one generation newer than anything on the PC.

It is most closely related to the upcoming R600 GPU from ATI.

It also cannot be compared to anything currently out for the pc as the architecture is hugely different. (unified shaders, on die ram etc)

Your second point is true, but I do remember reading an article that said apart from the unified shader architecure in the PS3, the X1900XT is newer gen tech.

I'm not too bothered tbh because by the time the PS3 comes out I'll probably have a better GFX card anyway :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Tommy B said:
Your second point is true, but I do remember reading an article that said apart from the unified shader architecure in the PS3, the X1900XT is newer gen tech.

EH? PS3 being based on unified shader tech is news to me. Did you mean the 360?

I don't know which is newer tbh. Not guaranteed anyway.

All I know is my 360 is excellent :)

Soldato
Tommy B said:
I'm not too bothered tbh because by the time the PS3 comes out I'll probably have a better GFX card anyway :D
Not wishing to labour a point - but surely this shows a sort of strange imbalance in your thinking. You've probably only fairly recently got an X1900 card (for I assume around the £400 mark), and you suggest that you'll upgrade to the next gen when those are released (probably again at around the £400 mark), and yet you complain that £425 is far too expensive for an all in one next gen console? :confused: :confused:

Soldato
deSade said:
Not wishing to labour a point - but surely this shows a sort of strange imbalance in your thinking. You've probably only fairly recently got an X1900 card (for I assume around the £400 mark), and you suggest that you'll upgrade to the next gen when those are released (probably again at around the £400 mark), and yet you complain that £425 is far too expensive for an all in one next gen console? :confused: :confused:

probably because he can sell the x1900 for a decent price to put it towards the new card. cant do that with a console

Associate
Games on pc are cheaper and you can do more with them but they usually cost more for similar performance, ps3 is coming close to making that not true though. I could build a pretty good system for 425 but I doubt the graphics would be as good and obviously no blue ray but not sure thats worth having anyway.

425 is about what an Amiga would cost and a lot of people only brought them for the games so the ps3 wont fail for pricing reasons really imo

Last edited:
Associate
james.miller said:
probably because he can sell the x1900 for a decent price to put it towards the new card. cant do that with a console

why not ????
say you had a 360 and fancied a ps3 when they come out why would you not get a decent resale price for the 360 ????

sort of know what you mean ie ps2 to ps3 but there 5 years old now try selling that 1900xt in 5 years and see what you get

Last edited:
Soldato
deSade said:

My GFX card cost around £300 inc Vat + Del.

And I only did that because I got £200 for my old graphics card.

I just don't think £425 for a console is acceptable. Neither is £400 for a graphics card, and I certainly wouldn't spend that much if I hadn't made profit from my old card.

Associate
Livestrong said:
anyone with info when pre orders will be fully open ie at game or game play

was in game today sales guy said

"the uk price is still to be confirmed would think july for pre-orders"

could change i suppose would want to pre-order before then myself just so i

have a chance of getting the ebay machine as well :)

Back
Top Bottom