PS3 to get PS2 Emulation via PSN

Caporegime
Would rather be able to feed my PS3 a PS2 disc, but alas, this is acceptable considering my 80Gb is capable of hardware emulation.

I will certainly want MGS2.

Caporegime
How's that GT5 coming along for release this month?

:D Oh don't you know every single game selling store in the country has it stock piled out the back and no one has leaked that info yet. It's a big surprise launch for friday with no advertising needed.

When they stick it on the shelves they will come.

Associate
I think that what happened is that someone at Sega mistakenly leaked a document which discussed the backwards compatability by software, among other things.

Heads must have rolled by now :O

Soldato
The more I think about this the more I think it is a way to make more money by forcing people to buy their PS2 games again thru PSN.

If it is possible to play downloaded PS2 games shouldn't it be possible to play original PS2 disc versions as well?

Or do you guys think the downloadable versions will have been redesigned to run on a PS3?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

They should just charge for a one-off "PS2 emulator" so those with discs don't end up buying games twice, and have the same code built in to each PSN game for those who never bought the game originally / would rather a digital only version.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
If it is possible to play downloaded PS2 games shouldn't it be possible to play original PS2 disc versions as well?

It 'should' be, but how else are Sony going to make money. The PS2 is unquestionably one of the most successful consoles of all time, with an enourmous back catalogue of games and and incredible amount of devote followers.

Name a popular PS2 game that people love to play, offer it on PSN for a small price of £3.49 and watch profits go through the roof.

Fair play to them I say IF they can do it, I'm not entirely convinced it will be 100%.

Soldato
There's a couple of games at least that I'd happily buy for that price.
Would take a mammoth effort getting all the games modified to run on the PS3, then getting them uploaded to the Store. If they do it, then I'll wager it'll only be for the really popular games, that they know will be monetarily worth the effort.

Soldato
I guess the reasons why its done this way is that emulation isnt 100% so the will only release games they know will work. Games like GOW1 and 2 obviously wont be part of it as they are coming out with an update HD versions. I expect the games would cost between £5-£15 more than you could get a retail version for but if its the only way to play say MGS3 on your PS3 then people will pay it.

Soldato
I reckon if they ever do it it'll be like the xbox originals system. By this i mean they create an emulator for a specific game, release the game on Live! but also allow for the disk version of the game to work. It's the only way to be fair.

Soldato
Makes sense if true, you only have to look at the sales generated on the recent extremly popular ps1 titles released.

Many people that own the disks just take it anyway for the ease of having it on the hard drive.

Id expect them to cost more over the ps1 releases though, probally 5.49, they'll fleece you 10 or more for the big releases.

Permabanned
They can **** right off if they think I'm going to be buying the games again! Why should I have to pay again for something that I've already bought and paid for?

Soldato
its an excellent idea and one I can't wait for to be implemented! I realise some people will appreciate or more (like me, seeing as I never got a ps2!). Although people with their own back catalogue will be peeved that they have to pay again for the privilege of having the game stored on their ps3's.

Is there a way around this? Out of interest how are they approaching the same kind of problem that PSP GO owners are going to face? Sending discs back for PSN redemption codes?

Anyway hurry and get it done so I can play all those awesome rpg's I missed!

Caporegime
Is there a way around this? Out of interest how are they approaching the same kind of problem that PSP GO owners are going to face? Sending discs back for PSN redemption codes?

With 8 days to go till release, they do not seem to be addressing it at all, maybe a TGS announcement tomorrow :)

rp2000

Soldato
They can **** right off if they think I'm going to be buying the games again! Why should I have to pay again for something that I've already bought and paid for?

No one is stopping you from using a ps2 to play them .
I would like to see it if they are cheap and they've actualy improve them. IF its just a straight port then no thanks, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom