PS3 to kill PC Gaming?

Associate
I think the PS3 will kill Sony.

I didn't know you could do photo/sound/video editing, design level's, write letters, run servers and a billion other things on a PS3? Oh wait you can't......

Every office and home is going to dump its PC and buy a PS3 instead. It may hurt PC gaming slightly but the truth is most fanboy's who own Playstations don't really buy PC games.

Soldato
Sony's PR department/ interviews are becoming more and more of a joke - has anyone told them what they sound like?

Talk like this just makes me want to buy a PS£ even less as the people at the top have clearly lost the plot.

fini

Soldato
Its marketing speak thats all, nothing more nothing less

Soiny dont want to kill off the Viao , after all they are one Sony product that continually gets good reviews and is well regarded by the public at large.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
the only thing that Sony can use that lends itself to this (bold) statement is that the PS3 has a HDD as standard, and can output at monitor resolutions. This was never possible with the PS2, which meant it would never be any use for internet, or even as a PC replacement.

It COULD be a possibility if Sony had a Web browser built into it and allowed users to install third party sony apps onto the HDD (like an office package or something for example). They wont do that, but imo, if they were to then it MIGHT have a chance of stealing business away from PCs.

But it wont

Associate
Well it can't really take any market away from the traditional desktop PC, I do see it being very competitive against home entertainment PC's though. The Cell processor itself is not really suited to the task of general computing (it only has 1 out-of-order general purpose execution core that is not compatible with x86 code.) It should be able to leverage its power more in high bandwidth graphically intensive stuff like video streams.

Having the PS3 replacing a PC in the living room is an odd concept since the PS2 basically invented the whole concept of a media hub. Any gains they do make will never be able to match the near 100% media hub market share they had when the PS2 was launched.

Associate
Sony always go on about how many million units they sold each year and how they are the best in the market etc. Sony don't have love for gaming, they just want your money!

Gaming is not the same anymore with Sony around!

Caporegime
PC gaming has been dead for ages. The last truly good (amazing) game was Fahrenheit. Before that probably WOW, and before that I would honestly say either Max Payne 2 or Farycry.

However, it will be back.

The same happened to the console market a while back, but with the new consoles it's back on track. The PC gaming market is stale.

I can't see either market dying iah.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
PC gaming has been dead for ages. The last truly good (amazing) game was Fahrenheit. Before that probably WOW, and before that I would honestly say either Max Payne 2 or Farycry.

However, it will be back.

The same happened to the console market a while back, but with the new consoles it's back on track. The PC gaming market is stale.

I can't see either market dying iah.

Depends what games you like, for me I will never own a console, haven't owned one yet and unlikely I ever will.

I like space based games, RTS, turn based strategies, games like X3, freelancer, online games such as Eve-Online, Day of Defeat and general FPS.

But I agree the PC gaming market is a bit stale, I don't think PC's will ever be beaten for certain genres.

Caporegime
VaderDSL said:
Depends what games you like, for me I will never own a console, haven't owned one yet and unlikely I ever will.

I like space based games, RTS, turn based strategies, games like X3, freelancer, online games such as Eve-Online, Day of Defeat and general FPS.

But I agree the PC gaming market is a bit stale, I don't think PC's will ever be beaten for certain genres.
Undoubtedly, Strategy is the one that comes to mind.

Associate
Smit said:
PC Gaming will never die, consoles are just becoming more and more like a PC so in a weird sense it's the consoles that are dying ;) :p (wonder how many people are going to argue with that one :D )

Bull.....I mean thats not true, I remember the days when hard core PC gamers had to buy a add on card for colour (8 colours?) and a few bleeps from a PC speaker Versus the far advanced SNES (which back then had online gameplay), those days when PC hardware design went full out to get closer to consoles with add on hardware 3D around the release of the PS1 (when contary to Sonys latest PR SNES already had the FX chip embedded into carts) and then Pcs using add on sound cards, Joysticks etc, the list could go on.

Consoles are still using custom designed hardware, only restricted by the price point of the final product, PCs are restricted by hardware design.

Personally I dont think the gaming industry as a whole has a lot to be proud of in recent times with endless sequals, PC gamers being a bigger driving force for those IMO. Far more innovation on the consoles, of which Im not even finished with my Dreamcast, let alone some of the cracking games on the Gamecube and even Nintendo DS.

Consoles arnt dead and theyre not becoming more like PCs

Soldato
"Sorry family, you can't watch TV tonight on our new 42" 1080p TV as I've got to do the accounts."

Yeah Phil 'Muppet' Harrison, I can see it now.

Soldato
Is it just me or are Sony dropping IQ points on a daily basis?

The Xbox being called a 'PC' crippled it early on, its why some of the features of the Xbox were they way they were (ie. no USB ports, it would be too 'PC', no keyboard, no mouse).

Now Sony want to brand their console as a PC...

BTW XNA won't be used for many games, and certainly no games outside of Arcade. XNA is .NET only, .NET has a rather large overhead. In a serious game any overhead is unacceptable, its why the kernel in the X360 is so lightweight.

However XNA being .NET means a game will run on the Xbox 360 and PC with almost no modification. With MS' Live platform is concievable that Arcade games will be available on Vista at the same time as X360 and vice versa. Suddenly the Live platform shows how complex it is, and why in the short time Sony have, it will be impossible for them to create a reliable extensible platform. It'll work, but it may not be reliable, and it certainly won't be easily expandable requiring a re-write before the PS4.

Why is all this important? Well, to kill PC gaming you have to kill off its games and/or its advantages. MS are bolstering the PC platform with the advantages of consoles (to a degree), and conversely the PC platform is bolstering the Xbox 360 (eg. Media Center, you can run any Windows app on MCE, and it will run on the Xbox 360 transparently). This imo means Sony have no chance in hell of breaking the PC gaming platform, and potentially the PS3 may be the one that is going to be 'killed', ironically enough, by an 'alliance' between PCs and consoles.

Interestingly enough, you can also poke holes in any web browser for an architecture that isn't x86/PPC. The problem is plugins & codecs. Sony will need to get things like Flash, Director (Shockwave), DivX, Xvid, OGG, MP3, Javascript, etc. all running within the browser through plugins/media players/etc. The vendors won't have much reason to support the PS3 simply because most people browse the net on their Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac PC. The web browser may well support a lot, but it'll never match a PC's web browser. It won't be that fast either...

All imo of course :)

Back
Top Bottom