PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Soldato
OP
Ok did the upgrade. Went easy, was supprised. lost save games in MG5 but all is well.

Nice one bud, you should be set for years now. In 3-5 years there will be 2TB SSD's going for a few hundred pounds. So until then a cheap 2TB HDD makes sense imho.

Because these 2TB's HDD's are using the latest platters, there actually faster than a lot of other HDD's as well. Bargain for the money.

Soldato
OP
My 2TB Still going well, nearly 400GB of data on the PS4 now. Think it's great to have all this extra space at the ready, Really wouldn't have to re-install and re-download all this data again once went over the original HDD 500GB size :p

Seen these drives on offer again, well worth grabbing one for the PS4 imho.

Soldato
OP
Tried a 1TB SSD in my PS4 for a bit, tbh was running out of space already :eek:

Gone back to my trusty 2TB now, cheap and does the job :D

Surely Sony need to add external HDD support soon, those still on 500GB must be full unless they have bought like no games?!

I know you can delete a game each time to make room for a new one, but that also means losing all the updates and DLC, so re-installation of a game each time like that isn't really viable. Hopefully Sony get external HDD support soon for the 500GB peeps..

Soldato
OP
+1

average size of a game is like 15GB

Average is about 50GB for me !! :eek:

We've bought a few games though, I guess if you only have a few 500GB is fine.

Most people aren't going to be playing 500GB worth of games at once and they're probably not going to go back to them either. For most people a 500GB HDD will see them through the life of the console.

That's subjective though mate, if you sell games when your done or delete them after each play then yeah, but no way if you plan on keeping them, especially with them installed. I was closing in on 1TB, we got about 16 Disc games and a few downloads. The amount of space they use is huge !! You have to install them and if you delete them you lose all DLC and updates, so it's not viable unless your the type that sells retail games on. Digital buyers will not be fine on 500GB for the duration of console :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
£59.99 for the 2TB caddy on Amazon, just take the drive out from the case as in OP, grab one while you can these go quick !!

This is what you're looking for: Seagate STBX2000401 Expansion 2TB USB 3.0

Soldato
OP
So I did some drive swapsies, and now re-installing everything by re-downloading. Talking like 800GB's here.

Anyway today Sony release an FW update which allows you to copy all your data to external HDD and then put it all back on...

This would have been lovely yesterday !!

ABZmnPW.gif

Soldato
OP
Yeah saw this. Going to make my life easier when I eventually upgrade.

Just typical that this wasn't around yesterday :p

yeah very handy feature for any future hdd changes.

Can the transfer be done to a usb stick?

Im thinking about getting a 2tb down the line but when it comes to backing up I will only have a few games I will bother about such as bloodborne and maybe driveclub which are my only digital purchases.

Not sure about USB, I haven't tried. To busy re downloading all my stuff :rolleyes::D

Want to get all this done in time for Borderlands pre load later ! 4 player Borderlands split screen awesomeness :cool:

Soldato
OP
I have a 1tb sshd in mine at present, If I were to get one of these external 2tb drives would I be able to stick either the 1tb back in the casing or maybe the original stock drive and use it as a backup hdd (seen as we now have the feature)

Im also not sure if its possible to remove the 2tb drive without breaking the caseing its in?

thanks.

Yeah it's really easy, the lid just pop off. You pull out the drive it's not attached to the casing so nothing gets broken, then un wrap the silver foil around the drive and unplug Sata / Power bracket. Then you can use all that for whatever else you want to put in. I put an old 500GB laptop drive in my empty case and 2TB in PS4 (Did have SSD). No idea where my original PS4 HDD is, I think I may have given it away :p. Hope I don't ever need to RMA it :D

Soldato
OP
Brilliant, what 2TB have you got? :)

Never mind lol realised your the op!:o

Cheers

This one,

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Black

STDR2000200

You will find it a piece of cake, you can pick these up really cheap from time to time. Think mine was £59.99. For 2TB PS4 HDD that's pretty good imho. It's faster than stock drive, because of the platter size and newer design.

Soldato
OP
Just spent ten hour trying to get the ps4 to see the usb drive with 2.50 driver on it.

What waste of time tried everything under sun. Used 3 different usb drives formatted them on two different pc as fat32 nothing works. What am I doing wrong did the PS4-UPDATE folder thing and 7 sec boot-up What usb drives are people using on here.

Are you doing fresh format?

Format USB to default, make folder PS4, make folder Update inside folder, inside that one put your full 700mb+ PUP file.

Then put in new HDD, and USB stick, when you turn on PS4 should boot straight into safe mode and give message about HDD being changed or something. Then do fresh install of 2.50.

Let me know how you get on.

Soldato
OP
Finally got around to fitting a 2tb in mine, it replaced a 1tb sshd.

Seem to be going digital for a lot of games recently depending on price though, so thought it best to do it now rather than later when I have more digital games.

I got the portable seagate expansion 2tb, I found it was tough getting it out of the casing but I managed not to break anything and put the 1tb into that. So now I have a handy portable drive as well.

Just got to download my games again!

Nice one, you could have used the HDD backup feature? Saved some time re downloading. It wasn't released when I did mine, took about a week to re download everything :p

Upgraded to fibre now though so game DL's come down quicker.

I think without external HDD option to install games etc on the PS4 that 2TB Internal is pretty much essential for anyone with a fair few games. I've got about 700GB left out of 2TB. Hopefully Sony will add external HDD support down the road, or at least we get some 3TB / 4TB 2.5" drives that can fit inside PS4.

Soldato
OP
Hi
Yeah I was aware of the new backup feature but I was not sure how long it would take to backup games compared to just redownloading and wasn't sure if you could select what games to backup. Got 100mb line anyway which normally DL games in a fairly quick time.

Im hoping 2tb will be plenty for me and sure it will be.

Cheers

:eek::eek:

100mb line !

Jealous :o

Soldato
OP
Since installing this m9t 2tb into my ps4, I have heard a faint beep, I've searched it and it seems to be a common thing with this hdd.
Not to bothered as its not all the time, but does anyone know what it is?

*did read it's something to do with the reading of the platters inside when it switches as it's apparently got 4 500gb plates?

That doesn't sound right. I've done a few of these 2TB's for people. None have beeped or any noise tbh. Maybe look at HDD trouble shooting or PS4 itself, could have beep error sound or something.

Should be silent.

Soldato
OP
I managed to get one of the Seagate 2tb drives for £55 and it'll likely be here tomorrow.

If I just pop it into the ps4 and re download everything will my uploaded saves still work or does the fact it's a different hdd mess with the encryption?

Yeah will be fine, upload all your saves and sync your trophies. Then re download games and saves after format etc.

Or you could backup to an external USB HDD.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking about going back to a 1TB SSD, the load times / texture load in are killing me atm. I wish there were 2TB SSD's would be perfect for PS4 !

Soldato
OP
Just installed a Seagate 2tb drive into the PS4, was case model SRD00F1. I think the hardest bit was opening the caddie :) Followed instructions to the letter and I'm just finishing restoring 400gb I backed up the other night.

Happy days!

Nice one, yeah the casing can be fiddly. Just had to wipe my HDD as got the new model PS4 'CUH-1216A'. Everything seem to re download much faster this time.

Glad it worked ok for you, did you use the 500GB in your external case? I took mine and put it back in, bargain really when you buy an external and do it yourself. End up with 500GB external and 2TB in PS4.

**OP Updated**

Back
Top Bottom